OO Impress Files Open as "Read-Only"

Discuss the presentation application
badgerd

OO Impress Files Open as "Read-Only"

Post by badgerd »

I am an OO newbie and am somewhat frustrated by what is probably an easy fix. I am using the latest OO version downloaded 5/12/08, running WinXP. My original file was done in MS PowerPoint. OO opened the file and allowed me to edit it just fine. I then saved it using "Save As" and selecting MS PowerPoint .ppt file type. Later, when opening that file, I was unable to edit it and the file name notation at the top indicated it was [Read-Only]. When I saved the file with a new name (using "Save As"), I could then immediately edit it.

How can I avoid the extra step of saving it with a new name every time I want to edit my existing file?
Phil
Volunteer

Re: OO Impress Files Open as "Read-Only"

Post by Phil »

Hi and welcome to the community!

I cannot reproduce this with version 2.4.0 on Win XP Pro SP2.
Did you download the same version or maybe the new 3.0 Beta version?
badgerd wrote:Later, when opening that file, I was unable to edit it
How did you open the file: By clicking on it in Windows Explorer, or via the OpenOffice menus?

Sometimes OpenOffice keeps files open wwich could lead to this bheavior.
So you could try to close the OpenOffice processes altogether by closing all its windows and additionally ending also the quickstarter (via the icon in the system tray) if it is active.

HTH!
phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP