[Issue] Pasting from clipboard will not work sometimes

Discuss the word processor
kryman

[Issue] Pasting from clipboard will not work sometimes

Post by kryman »

Hi,

This problem or strange thing has occurred several times, hence I created this topic asking for help. Many times when I copy content from the web (ctrl+c) and paste it into Writer (ctrl+v) that content will not be copied which is marked but only the last copy from the clipboard. For example, first I copy "hello there" from the web, this works fine pasting into writer, secondly I remove that text and copy another text from the same site "some other info" but Writer pastes still the old info from the clipboard "hello there", not the new one? And to assure that I've done it right, as always, in my reliable notepad++ when I copy the same text from the site into n++ the new text appears.

What's going on? Is there some odd clipboard cache that is stuck (if there even can be such thing), or, what is it, since I have no clue.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue] (link to a bug report).
eremmel

Re: Pasting from clipboard will not work sometimes

Post by eremmel »

Windows has a complex clip board. Selected data is put into different formats in the clipboard. It might that your browser is e.g. filling only one type, or that OO looks at the wrong section. I think that you should not try to validate with Notepad++ for it is a text only editor. I think WordPad is a better way to test.

You can always try to past in OO via menu: Edit Past-special (Ctrl-Shift-V) you will see different data-formats. You can now check which section contains the right text.
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

We have seen such issues indeed in the forum.
The workaround is to copy and paste content from your document to your document to somehow reset the clipboard.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
kryman

Post by kryman »

Hagar Delest wrote:We have seen such issues indeed in the forum.
The workaround is to copy and paste content from your document to your document to somehow reset the clipboard.
You mean copy the info from the web into notepad++ (or any other) and then copy from notepad++ back into writer?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

No. Before copying the content from the web, try to copy something from your Writer document to this same document (and delete it just afterward). Then try to copy and paste the web content.
kryman

Post by kryman »

I tried copy the content in the same odt on different locations, but it didn't work. It just copied the same previous clipboard content. So, there is nothing else to do?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you tried to copy some text from that file to another place in the same file? I mean, not something that comes from outside the file.
kryman

Post by kryman »

But what good will this do? Then the copied text in the clipboard from the web will be erased. Please let me know.
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

kryman wrote:But what good will this do? Then the copied text in the clipboard from the web will be erased. Please let me know.
I believe Hagar is saying that you need to flush the clipboard and such a cut and paste should do that. You will then need to go back to the website and recopy the material you want from there.

eremmel is saying that the Windows clipboard is complex and your browser is probably getting confused for some reason. Thus Hagar's suggestion to reset the clipboard by doing a really simple cut and paste.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Geof

Post by Geof »

Reset the clipboard with the Windows utility: clipbrd.exe .
On Windows XP and earlier you should find clipbrd.exe in the or C:\Windows\System32\ directory. (or maybe C:\Windows\System\)
You won't find it in Windows 7 however: copy and paste it into C:\Windows\System32\ from an old copy of XP, create a desktop shortcut and problem solved.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7 Professional
obswob

Post by obswob »

Have you tried deleting your user profile?
c:\users\yourname\appdata\roaming\openoffice.org\3\user.
Delete or rename that folder.

I've had problems where paste would only paste old content, a bit like what you say. Doing this fixed it, along will all kinds of other bizarre intermittent bugs.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 8
kryman

Post by kryman »

I still have an endless problem with pasting. I have noticed that very often (perhaps every time) when I copy content from another odt (let's say doc. 2) and after that when I copy content from the web and want to paste it into doc. 1 (.odt), the doc. 1 won't accept the content from the web, but still obstinate pastes the old content from doc. 2. Yet pasting the same content from the web into any other application, like notepad++, wordpad, or other, it works fine. But not into the odt doc. nr. 1. What's going on?
kryman

Post by kryman »

obswob wrote:Have you tried deleting your user profile?
c:\users\yourname\appdata\roaming\openoffice.org\3\user.
Delete or rename that folder.

I've had problems where paste would only paste old content, a bit like what you say. Doing this fixed it, along will all kinds of other bizarre intermittent bugs.
I've tried this one too, both renaming and deleting the profile. And yes, when deleting the profile it went a bit smoother, yet, I still have the same error as you can see above this reply on 02 Jul 2013, 11:56.
kryman

Re: [Issue] Pasting from clipboard will not work sometimes

Post by kryman »

Thanks for the reply. Yep, I've read a little of those links before your reply. And waiting some seconds seems for me the only solution now. I've gone over to LibreOffice some month ago, and surely, the same problem occur there too, but this I believe shouldn't be of any surprise.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you test again with AOO 4?
kryman

Post by kryman »

Hagar Delest wrote:Can you test again with AOO 4?
Sure. I installed the latest version from their webpage today (Apache_OpenOffice_4.0.0_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe), and the same problem is there. If you're on Win 7 x64 you should have the same problem, whatever version of Windows and version of AOO or LO installed, at least the latest versions.

Perhaps we can only wait and sit to see what happens.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

It must be something linked to some corner case too because I've experienced this only once.
kryman

Post by kryman »

Hagar Delest wrote:It must be something linked to some corner case too because I've experienced this only once.
Perhaps you're not as familiar to this problem as I am. Or, of course, perhaps you've understand it quite good. For me this happens every time, try it yourself if you haven't.

Open a new odt (nr. 1), write something in it, copy it to a new odt (nr. 2), and then copy some content from the web into nr. 2. For me always the old content copies from the odt numbered as 1, but never the new from the web.

Try this if you haven't and let me know. Of course, reply to me please that you're also using an x64 based Windows os.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Works fine with Ubuntu 64bit, will try with Windows 7 tomorrow.
skickahit10

Post by skickahit10 »

Hagar Delest wrote:We have seen such issues indeed in the forum.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
It's 2020 and the same issue is still around :lol:

Luckily, however, the same workaround still works ;)
OpenOffice v4.1.6
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

It's 2020 and the same issue is still around :lol:

Luckily, however, the same workaround still works ;)
If you want any progress, install https://libreoffice.org/ instead of OpenOffice.
Pasting plain text only is not a work-around. It is best practise.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice