Corrupt files

Using them, Making them, Finding them
Paddocks2

Corrupt files

Post by Paddocks2 »

Within the last 2 weeks my daughter has used the writer template for homework and 2 files have corrupted? When she saved the document it was fine but then she went in to make amendments and saved it again which was fine too. But then when she went back in to open and print the words have all turned into hash keys? Anybody else experienced this?
Open Office 3.1 on windows
RoryOF

Re: Corrupt files

Post by RoryOF »

This does happen, frequently when shut-down of the computer is rushed. OpenOffice close down is not immediate bvecause of the complexity of the file structure. It is best to /File /Close, then to exit OpenOffice, gather one's papers and then power down the computer. Never work direct to a USB stick.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Paddocks2

Post by Paddocks2 »

Ok that's helpful will get her to try that next time? Do you know if there is any way of recovering the file?
Open Office 3.1 on windows
johnmic

Post by johnmic »

I would suggest you to try the free trial version of RecoveryFix for Word recovery software. It supports Word file created with all versions of MS Word.

http://www.microsoftwordrecovery.net

Thanks
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: live link disabled
OpenOffice 3.0
K.Fann

Post by K.Fann »

It seems to be corruption in the writer documents therefore, all the words have been turned into hash keys. I have never experienced such a situation, but I have faced corruption a couple of times. To fix the corruption from my .odt documents I tried several things including some third-party ODT repair applications. One of them was SysInfoTools OpenOffice Writer Repair, which helped me repair my corrupt .odt documents. I found it on Google when a person recommended me this application. First I tried its free demo, it showed the preview of my recovered data in both, text and image form. I was highly satisfied with the recovery. So I always recommend this application to everyone who faces a situation like corruption in OpenOffice Writer.
Thanks.
OpenOffice.org 3.3.0