What happened?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Yawppy

What happened?

Post by Yawppy »

I am a bit stumped. I have been using OOO for a couple years. Last night was working in a document saved my work blah blah, much like I have done in the past.

Fast forward to this morning, the nightmare starts, OOO seems stuck on recovering documents, will not allow you into the document. OK, I uninstall, reinstall, thinking that will work. So on 3.4.1, STILL SAME THING, tried to "REPAIR" install, seemed to work for a sec, then it crashed, and says it needs to recover the very document I was editing.

Uninstalled again, re-installed, and it still seems stuck on recovering every document I open in a spreadsheet.

Not sure what happened, or where to go to find a fix, so hoping someone here has a clue, or suggestion.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
03/23/13 UPDATE

:knock: OK well, I give up. :crazy: Tried everything suggested...again, thank-you!
Seemd to work just fine after I renamed the pmap thing. Was just fine, for like 3-4 days. Then the "Need to restore" not responding issue came back. Tried all the tricks learned here...for like 2-3 days, frustration led me to seek another source for my word processing needs.

Deleted OOO off the laptop, it no longer exists, maybe it is just my PC LP, maybe it is something else, but it is what it is, still works on another PC at home , and at the office, but the LP, just refuses to co-operate.

Again Thank-you for the assistance,it helped, but just did not fix it. For now just going to see how things work out, as for right now, I have a back up on the LP, seems to be the same with a few nice features, also works with OOO DOCs, so may just switch everything over, best of luck OOO! :bravo:
Last edited by Yawppy on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.1_Win_x86_install_en-US
Hagar Delest

Re: What happened?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

No need to reinstall, it won't change anything. Instead, you need to reset your OpenOffice user profile.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Yawppy

Post by Yawppy »

Thank-you, i was quite happy, and OK, it worked...for a brief second, was able to work on a spreadsheet for like 15 minute. closed it after saving, then shut down. Came back on, tried to open it, brand new spreadsheet..... that recovery message pops up, I click OK, it immediatly goes to (NOT RESPONDING), so, what do I have to reset the profile folder everytime I need to open a document?

That is not cool, it has worked flawlessly for sometime, why such a frustrating issue all of a sudden.

K again, thank-you, it was solved, so I thought, but there has to be a better solution that fixes this recovery not responding issue.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

So is it OK or not? If not, have you renamed the files extensions.pmap and extensions.db as advised in the tutorial? It seems to be the root cause.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Yawppy

Post by Yawppy »

OK, no it is not fixed. Today, after uninstaling it, (I know do not need to) but figured I'd do that, clean out the entire folder, and re-installed. Went to bed, and woke up this morning, booted up, and was amazed, all day flawless, worked several files, and shut down, fine.

At one point, seemed a dictionary issue in spell check was missing, had to reload that, then the crash again, re-did the user folder , worked well, right now tried the user folder trick again, and not working. Not sure what gives.It seems sporadic, works when it feels like it.

Went back just now to open a file, same issue, goes into the non-responding recovery window, and at times does not even open the file. As far as renaming the files mentioned.....rename them to what? I seen it in the tutrorial, but figured it was working and decided to give it a day or two before I marked it as indeed solved.

K , I'll try the rename files, if I know what to rename them as, again TY!
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Rename them to anything else - put an X in front of them, say, so that if you need to get customisation from them you know they are the old files.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS