Help recovering document

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
silverdun

Help recovering document

Post by silverdun »

I'm new so hope I'm posting in the right area. I appreciate any help.

I keep my diary on open office and today I was writing it up when we had a power cut. My laptop needs a new battery & so everything closed. When it started again, I was able to open my old diary page from last month but not the one I'm working on now. It salvaged one but not the other.

It had a tick on last months document & it opened fine but a red cross for February. When I tried to manually open it from my documents page, it gives this message first:
page1.png
If click ok I get this:
page2.png
I know I didn't lock it, so this makes me nervous :? I don't even know how to lock it. (I was alone in the house & didn't leave my laptop from writing the morning in it so I know nobody else locked it)

If I click either option to read, I get a pattern instead of words:
pattern.png
Is there anything I can do to salvage my writing, please?

It prob sounds silly, but it means a lot to me as it's my "recovery diary", I suffer from depression & it's a tool I've discovered works. Winter is my worst time so I've been practising different things and I really need it to progress. It was a whole complete month I realise, I'd forgotten it was March today :)

Any help greatly appreciated, thank you.

I use Open Office 3 and I use Windows Vista on an elderly Toshiba laptop :D
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: pic embedded.
openoffice.org 3 on windows vista
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Help recovering document.

Post by thomasjk »

With all ############# in it your document is hopelessly corrupted. The locking issue is related to your crash as is the corruption. There is most likely a file in the form of .~lock.filename on your hard drive as a result of the crash. This file is generated each time a file is opened for editing and goes away when you close a file normally. Search for .~lock and delete the file found. I hope you have a backup copy which may be in your user profile http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... 74&t=12426 as filenam.bak.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Hagar Delest

Re: Help recovering document.

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sadly, quite nothing to do, see: 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.
Any power shortage for example? It's a common root cause of such problem.

Check the temporary folder of the system (see in OOo Tools>Options>OOo>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers. Else, I hope you had a backup (or a copy in a mailbox)...

It seems there are less troubles with latest version 3.4.1. What is your version exactly? Your forum signature shows only 3.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10