[Solved] Templates: How to install?

Using them, Making them, Finding them
DELTA_62482B

[Solved] Templates: How to install?

Post by DELTA_62482B »

I do not understand how to go from "Downloading a Template" to ACTUALLY USING the thing.
I downloaded a FAX template to "DOWNLOADS", made a subdirectory, copied zip file to same. "Unraveled" same. I have LOTS of little subdirectories and files there, NONE of which appear to be a template, and absolutely NO IDEA of how to get that into OPEN OFFICE for use. :? In fact, where dows OPEN OFFICE keep templates?
PLEASE direct me to a prior question or documentation, etc.
I know LITTLE about Open Ofice other than, Micro Soft broke the last straw with me.

Second question. Have you "straightened out" the new release 3.4.1? I have read several reviews concerning problems with that release.

Thank you.
3.3.0 OOO330m20 Build 9567
64 Bit Windows 7 Professional
RoryOF

Re: Templates:How to install?

Post by RoryOF »

This thread may help
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... =5&t=42033

Re: adverse reviews: "we" don't originate the code, but frequently have input to bug reporting oir finding workarounds. Many reviewers have a hidden axe to grind and will always highlight a fault, or some trivial matter that does not suit their predilections. For most of us, Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 is working quite satisfactorily. But it is your decision to try it or not.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

DELTA_62482B wrote:I do not understand how to go from "Downloading a Template" to ACTUALLY USING the thing. ...
It would help a lot if you could tell us the address of the template file you're working with.

What you need to do depends on exactly what sort of file you have.

If the file you've downloaded is a simple template file (something.ott for a Writer text template), you can install it by:
File > Templates > Organize, select "My Templates" on the left, then Commands > Import Template. Navigate to your downloaded file and OK.

To use the template, File > New > Templates & Documents. Navigate to "My Templates" and you should see the new template listed there.

If you prefer not to mess with it, you actually do not have to install the template at all: just File > Open it. OOo will start a new untitled document that you can customize and save or print.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
DELTA_62482B

Post by DELTA_62482B »

RoryOF wrote:This thread may help
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... =5&t=42033

Re: adverse reviews: "we" don't originate the code, but frequently have input to bug reporting oir finding workarounds. Many reviewers have a hidden axe to grind and will always highlight a fault, or some trivial matter that does not suit their predilections. For most of us, Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 is working quite satisfactorily. But it is your decision to try it or not.
Did not mean to offend. Something with USER PROFILE and ONLINE UPDATE causing 3.4.1 to crash. I now depend on Open Office and appreciate all the work many have done.
DELTA_62482B

Post by DELTA_62482B »

acknak wrote:
DELTA_62482B wrote:I do not understand how to go from "Downloading a Template" to ACTUALLY USING the thing. ...
It would help a lot if you could tell us the address of the template file you're working with.

What you need to do depends on exactly what sort of file you have.

If the file you've downloaded is a simple template file (something.ott for a Writer text template), you can install it by:
File > Templates > Organize, select "My Templates" on the left, then Commands > Import Template. Navigate to your downloaded file and OK.

To use the template, File > New > Templates & Documents. Navigate to "My Templates" and you should see the new template listed there.

If you prefer not to mess with it, you actually do not have to install the template at all: just File > Open it. OOo will start a new untitled document that you can customize and save or print.
Import worked just fine. Thank you for your help.
DELTA_62482B

Re: [Solved] Templates: How to install?

Post by DELTA_62482B »

I downloaded an "Elegant Fax" zipped template file. It consists of the following:
Folder Configurations2
Folder META-INF
Folder Thumbnails
File content (XML Doc)
File meta " "
file mimetype ?
file settings (XML DOC)
file styles " "

None of these files is an "ooo" or an "oot".
Respecfully, this and a few other similar template downloads are useless in their present form. I also have an "oracle-pdfimport" zipped file, similarly baffling.

I have been successful in a spreadsheet and a letter templates. They WERE template files and I learned a lot from them.

Thank you.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Rename the .zip file to .oxt. There are several topics in this forum about that. Internet Explorer changes automatically the extension. Better use a real web browser (like Firefox).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
DELTA_62482B

Post by DELTA_62482B »

Ok Hagar, for the first time in over a year, I have a useable template. OXT was the solution. Sorry, Firefox is not an option. There may be topics on the Internet Explorer solution, I just had other problems more important. This may open the door to full migration to open office.
Thank you sir.