[BASE] Access2Base - version 0.9.0 released

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
JPL
Volunteer

[BASE] Access2Base - version 0.9.0 released

Post by JPL »

Access2Base is an OpenOffice/LibreOffice extension for (business or personal) application developers and advanced users.
It provides a AOO/LibO Basic library of macros implementing a number of functionalities - directly inspired by MSAccess. The macros are callable from an OpenOffice/LibreOffice Base application.

:arrow: Version 0.9.0 has been released on 04-jan-2013.
It offers a complete redesign of the code of the extension. It is based on the programming style described elsewhere in this forum (see Object oriented programming).
The result for the user is a major simplification of the syntax of the API: next constructions are allowed.

Code: Select all

REM Set the value of a control ...
          Dim ofForm As Object, ocControl As Object
          Set ofForm = Forms("myForm")
          Set ocControl = ofForm.Controls("myControl")
          ocControl.Value = "this text"

You will have noted the use of the Controls method on the Form object and of the Value property.

More info: If you have questions, suggestions, bugs or other topics about the Access2Base extension (especially version 0.9.0) you would like to discuss, I suggest you post a reply to this thread.

JPL
Kubuntu 22.04 / LibO 7.5
Access2Base (LibO).
BaseDocumenter extension (LibO)
ScriptForge (LibO)
Documentation on https://help.libreoffice.org/latest/en- ... bPAR=BASIC
JPL
Volunteer

Re: [BASE] Access2Base - version 0.9.0 released

Post by JPL »

Bug communicated by Pastim (many thanks to him ...):

If you get next error message :
Error #12 (Variable not defined) occurred at line 1417 in Control._PropertySet
then, in the Control module of the Access2Base library, with the IDE, replace line 1417

EffectiveDefault = pvValue
by

ControlModel.EffectiveDefault = pvValue
The next release of the extension will remove the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

JPL
Kubuntu 22.04 / LibO 7.5
Access2Base (LibO).
ScriptForge (LibO)
pastim

Post by pastim »

Is there any possibility that you could publish the user guide in pdf form? There are times when it would be a lot easier to have the whole guide in one piece to search or just browse. I appreciate it might not always be 100% up to date.
Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit, LibreOffice 4.0.2, MySQL 5.5.29 managed by phpMyAdmin 3.4.10.1-1
JPL
Volunteer

Post by JPL »

Pastim,

if you open the Access2Base.oxt installation file with any zip-archive manager (7zip, ...) then you will see a "help" directory and in that directory a single html file with name "access2base.html".
This file is identical to the documentation available on the site - of course at the time of extension release (it can be a bit fresher on the site, indeed). If you expand it and import it into your favorite browser you should be able to browse the doc anywhere.

Unfortunately conversion to pdf is out of reach with the tool used (TiddlyWiki) for help authoring.

Regards.
JPL
Kubuntu 22.04 / LibO 7.5
Access2Base (LibO).
ScriptForge (LibO)
pastim

Post by pastim »

Ah Ha! That's fine - thanks very much.
Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit, LibreOffice 4.0.2, MySQL 5.5.29 managed by phpMyAdmin 3.4.10.1-1
pastim

Post by pastim »

Forgive me if this is not a strictly Access2base query.

I execute some sql statements with an "oStatement.executeUpdate(psSql)" style statement, preceded with a 'On Local Error' clause. In the error handling section I use TraceError. However, If there's an SQL error I just get an Error 1 (exception), no details of the cause

If I remove the On Error clause I get the information I need about the cause of underlying error, but the error causes the code to halt so I can't process it in a controlled way . What am I missing?
JPL
Volunteer

Post by JPL »

Pastim,
In the error handling section I use TraceError. However, If there's an SQL error I just get an Error 1 (exception), no details of the cause.
If I remove the On Error clause I get the information I need about the cause of underlying error, but the error causes the code to halt so I can't process it in a controlled way .
Indeed, many internal errors detected inside AOO/LibO do not reveal a lot when trapped in Basic. I'm afraid there is not a lot to do about that. :?

JPL
Kubuntu 22.04 / LibO 7.5
Access2Base (LibO).
ScriptForge (LibO)
pastim

Post by pastim »

I'm trying to use FindRecord on a control in a grid. I'm using the shortcut notation for the 6th parameter.

At line 319 in FindRecord (If IsNull(ocTarget.BoundField) Then Goto Error_Target) it fails with error "#1004 (Argument nr. 6 [Value = '%1' is invalid) occurred in a call to function 'Form.FindRecord'. I tried stepping through the code on this line but got lost.

I removed the control, and just provided the form and grid name, and got no error, although the data was never found - the cursor ran through each line quite slowly.

Adding the control within the grid back in I checked several times that the field is bound (it really is - to the primary key), and the name is right (it is).

I tried commenting out line 319, but it then crashed at line 327 where the datafield is empty.

So it looks as if there could be a problem with the BoundField property. Putting a watch on ocTarget did not reveal such a property at the top level, but there is such a property in the ControlModel (set to com.sun.star.sdb.ODataColumn), and the underlying data field is quoted there as well. I tried editing the code on 319 & 327 to include the ".ControlModel" but it then failed testing the data type a few lines later. I have a suspicion it is testing the data type of com.sun.star.... rather than the underlying data field.

(My Java is also crashing out with monotonous regularity (on Ubuntu 12.04) so this type of testing and debugging is painful.)

The data for the form comes from a query, which get sorted data from a table via a Mysql(jdbc) connection.

Any thoughts?
pastim

Post by pastim »

I have patched up FindRecord so I can do what I want for now, which is to do a FindRecord in a particular column in a grid on a main form. As below. I have added 'ControlModel.' before 'Boundfield' on two lines (originals commented out), and have skipped the check on the data type. Note that there are several occurrences of the same BoundField problem in this routine for other calling options which I have not done anything about. I don't understand what is wrong with the CheckColumnType call, but it fails so I commented it out and it works for now.

ElseIf ocTarget._Type = OBJCONTROL Then	'	Control within a grid tbc
'					If IsNull(ocTarget.BoundField) Then Goto Error_Target		'	Control MUST be bound to a database record or query
					If IsNull(ocTarget.ControlModel.BoundField) Then Goto Error_Target		'	Control MUST be bound to a database record or query
					.OnlyCurrentField = acCurrent
					vParentGrid = getObject(_getUpperShortcut(ocTarget._Shortcut, ocTarget._Name))
					If vParentGrid.SubType <> CTLGRIDCONTROL Then Goto Error_Target
					.GridControl = vParentGrid._Shortcut
					ofParentForm = getObject(_getUpperShortcut(vParentGrid._Shortcut, vParentGrid._Name))
					If IsNull(ofParentForm.DatabaseForm) Then Goto Error_DatabaseForm
					.Target = ocTarget._Shortcut
'					Set vDataField = ocTarget.BoundField
					Set vDataField = ocTarget.ControlModel.BoundField
'					If Not _CheckColumnType(pvFindWhat, vDataField) Then Goto Error_Target
					ReDim vNames(0), vIndexes(0)

pastim

Post by pastim »

I am getting very confused about error handling. Lately I have been trying to do some things in generic code (ie not specific to a form) which can cause errors. For instance, I try to set an object to a control that doesn't exist, eg:

set ocControl = Controls("abc", "xyz")
in a form called abc. I want to trap this error (and in some cases ignore it) with a On Error Goto ... , but I don't seem to be able to do so. In this case I get a FATAL Error:

Error #1017 (Control 'xyz' not found in parent (form or grid) 'xyz' occurred in a call to function 'Controls'
Why can't I catch the error in my code?

I'm sure I can work out ways to avoid the error in each such case, but they all involve a lot more effort!
JPL
Volunteer

Post by JPL »

Pastim,

1)
I have patched up FindRecord so I can do what I want for now
Indeed the BoundField property should be linked to the ControlModel attribute. Your correction is OK.
This will be changed accordingly in a next release. However next line may be commented out. The check done there remains valid anyway.

'               If Not _CheckColumnType(pvFindWhat, vDataField) Then Goto Error_Target
2)
Well, simply, when the Access2Base API detects an anomaly in the arguments of a call to a function (FindRecord in the example), it REPORTS or DOCUMENTS the error. The API does not RAISE an error or an exception. StarBasic does not have this functionality while Visual Basic has the Err object and its Raise method. As a consequence your code cannot intercept the encountered error.

Hoping this will help.
JPL
Kubuntu 22.04 / LibO 7.5
Access2Base (LibO).
ScriptForge (LibO)
pastim

Post by pastim »

JPL wrote:Pastim,

1)
I have patched up FindRecord so I can do what I want for now
Indeed the BoundField property should be linked to the ControlModel attribute. Your correction is OK.
This will be changed accordingly in a next release. However next line may be commented out. The check done there remains valid anyway.

'               If Not _CheckColumnType(pvFindWhat, vDataField) Then Goto Error_Target
2)
Well, simply, when the Access2Base API detects an anomaly in the arguments of a call to a function (FindRecord in the example), it REPORTS or DOCUMENTS the error. The API does not RAISE an error or an exception. StarBasic does not have this functionality while Visual Basic has the Err object and its Raise method. As a consequence your code cannot intercept the encountered error.

Hoping this will help.
JPL
OK - Thanks.

1) When I left the CheckColumn check in I still got an error. I could not understand why - that's why I patched it out. Could you clarify precisely what it does? WIthout it the code works fine.

2) Is there no way I can get Access2Base to return the error/anomaly to my code rather than reporting it?
JPL
Volunteer

Post by JPL »

Hi Pastim,
1) When I left the CheckColumn check in I still got an error. I could not understand why - that's why I patched it out. Could you clarify precisely what it does? WIthout it the code works fine.
The FindRecord action may receive for its FindWhat argument a value of type String, Date or Numeric. The _CheckColumnType routine checks if the type of the column in the database fits with the type of the argument.
See next code:

Dim bFound As Boolean
	bFound = False
	Select Case vDataField.TypeName
		Case "DATE"			:	If VarType(pvFindWhat) = vbDate Then bFound = True
		Case "DOUBLE", "INTEGER", "LONG", "BIGINT", "DECIMAL", "SHORT", "FLOAT"
			If _InList(VarType(pvFindWhat), _AddNumeric()) Then bFound = True
		Case "VARCHAR"		:	If VarType(pvFindWhat) = vbString Then bFound = True
		Case Else
	End Select

_CheckColumnType = bFound
Above Select Case construction lists the correspondences between argument and column types for my own testing environment, i.e. a HSQLDB database. What could make it not working well in your context is that you are using a MySQL database and that strings in that RDBMS are maybe represented by other column types than only "VARCHAR". If you can confirm that I will adapt the code.
2) Is there no way I can get Access2Base to return the error/anomaly to my code rather than reporting it?
Well, most actions and functions return False when they fail. But the error code is not kept.

Regards.
JPL
Kubuntu 22.04 / LibO 7.5
Access2Base (LibO).
ScriptForge (LibO)
pastim

Post by pastim »

Hi,

I cannot get the CheckColumn check to work. Further, I cannot inspect the data type of vDataField because when I 'watch' it and try to expand the definition my Base crashes every time with a Java JRE crash - I get a lot of these crashes with Java when debugging. I have nearly given up on Base several times because of this. I know it's nothing to do with your code. The first part of the Java crash is shown below. If you think it worth my reporting it, who would I report it to? I can't imagine Oracle bothering.

But back to the data type check. The data in the column being search is an INT(11) in MySQL, and the column itself is formatted (or numeric - neither works). The Data I am searching for is in a variant, and is probably being seen as a string. However, even if I convert the string to an Int (or Long) the check still fails. I can't debug it further because of the Java crash.... Without this check the FindRecord works fine, so I rather feel the check must be superfluous, and that the later check for equality is doing any necessary conversion. If you have any suggestions as to how I could proceed I'd be glad to help, but I can't see a way forward.

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f35bc9a152a, pid=7647, tid=139869535369472
#
# JRE version: 7.0_13-b20
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (23.7-b01 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libdbtoolslo.so+0x10652a]  connectivity::ORowSetValue::getSequence() const+0x8a
pastim

Post by pastim »

I have just realised I can easily find out what is happening by adding some code which stores the data types in fields that I can inspect and that don't crash BASE.

The result is that where the data type in the bound field is a number in MySQL it is an INT (not INTEGER or LONG or .....). Adding this to the data type check, and converting the source string to be found to a Long (with CLng), fixes the problem. So provided you can check for INT in CheckColumn (and indeed in any other similar bits of code) it will work for me.
JPL
Volunteer

Post by JPL »

PASTIM wrote:So provided you can check for INT in CheckColumn (and indeed in any other similar bits of code) it will work for me.
My suggestion here is to use the Type property instead of TypeName. That property seems more generic.
See http://www.openoffice.org/api/docs/comm ... aType.html.

The _CheckColumnType function would become then:

Dim bFound As Boolean
	bFound = False
	With com.sun.star.sdbc.DataType
		Select Case vDataField.Type
			Case .DATE, .TIME, .TIMESTAMP
				If VarType(pvFindWhat) = vbDate Then bFound = True
			Case .TINYINT, .SMALLINT, .INTEGER, .BIGINT, .FLOAT, .REAL, .DOUBLE, .NUMERIC, .DECIMAL
				If _InList(VarType(pvFindWhat), _AddNumeric()) Then bFound = True
			Case .CHAR, .VARCHAR, .LONGVARCHAR
				If VarType(pvFindWhat) = vbString Then bFound = True
			Case Else
		End Select
	End With
It will be included in a later release.

Hoping this will help.
JPL
Kubuntu 22.04 / LibO 7.5
Access2Base (LibO).
ScriptForge (LibO)
pastim

Post by pastim »

JPL wrote: My suggestion here is to use the Type property instead of TypeName. That property seems more generic.
See http://www.openoffice.org/api/docs/comm ... aType.html.

The _CheckColumnType function would become then: ......

It will be included in a later release.

Hoping this will help.
JPL
That works fine. I don't understand it, because I can't get my head round the framework, but it's fine for me.
pastim

Post by pastim »

Being an adventurous (ie foolhardy) fellow I thought I'd try LO 4.0.

Don't do it.

On my Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit system none of the code using Access2Base to set values in controls on any of my forms works at all. I have reverted to 3.6.5.

I tried to work out a bit of code not using Access2Base to set data in a form control, but that seems to set a value which then promptly disappeared. I suspect I don't understand enough of the framework to make sure I am writing to the actual control rather than a copy, but I have no real idea.

This isn't a problem now - I can stay on the 3.6 branch, but it will be a problem one day. I have no clue as to whether there is a problem in Base itself, or whether the framework has changed in a way that is incompatible with Access2Base.

If someone else has the opportunity to try LO 4.0, and can determine whether non-Access2Base code also fails to set data in form controls then I'd be happy to raise a bug report.

(and yes - I do need to update my signature below - wIll do so now)
pastim

Post by pastim »

I have been struggling with some of the Form attributes. If I set OpenArgs in the OpenForm call, the object returned to the caller does have OpenArgs set. However, on creating a form object in code in the opened form I never see these as belonging to the opened form, either using the OpenArgs method or by inspecting the form object in detail.

With my very limited understanding of the underlying functions, I can't see anywhere in the Form object initialisation that recaptures the supplied OpenArgs (into either_OpenArgs or OpenArgs). Since the attribute doesn't, as as I can tell, seem to persist in the underlying model I don't see how OpenArgs can work.

Someone may well know differently, but I haven't been able to made code based on the transmission of OpenArgs from one form to another work.
JPL
Volunteer

Post by JPL »

Pastim wrote:
I have been struggling with some of the Form attributes. If I set OpenArgs in the OpenForm call, the object returned to the caller does have OpenArgs set. However, on creating a form object in code in the opened form I never see these as belonging to the opened form, either using the OpenArgs method or by inspecting the form object in detail.
Pastim, you're completely right.
The OpenArgs argument of the OpenForm action is there only because it is present in Microsoft Access.

The current implementation is rudimentary: the scope of the argument is indeed limited to the object returned by OpenForm.
If you think the OpenArgs property is more essential than it is in my opinion so far, a more complete implementation is feasible: more a time than a technical issue.

Tell us if you could find a workaround ?

JPL
Kubuntu 22.04 / LibO 7.5
Access2Base (LibO).
ScriptForge (LibO)
pastim

Post by pastim »

JPL wrote: The OpenArgs argument of the OpenForm action is there only because it is present in Microsoft Access.

The current implementation is rudimentary: the scope of the argument is indeed limited to the object returned by OpenForm.
If you think the OpenArgs property is more essential than it is in my opinion so far, a more complete implementation is feasible: more a time than a technical issue.

Tell us if you could find a workaround ?

JPL
As an alternative I was thinking of implementing a system of passing data from one form to another via a temporary database table. One reason for this approach was that when debugging it's easy to reset global data and muck up any data which one attempts to pass via globals.

Unless there is a spare non-transient attribute of the UNO forms that could be used I can't currently think of any other way to implement OpenArgs reliably unless one can somehow store them on the opened form itself having opened it.
JPL
Volunteer

Post by JPL »

Pastim wrote:
I was thinking of implementing a system of passing data from one form to another via a temporary database table.
Not the best approach, in my opinion:
- difficult to implement in a generic way without knowing the underlying RDBMS
- database fields are limited to strings, numbers, etc. while the passed argument is a Variant of any nature, including complex structures like arrays, user-defined data types, objects, ...

It should be stored anyway in a persistent Basic Variant data structure, i.e. a Global variable or a collection of Global variables (one entry by form). Not that difficult but still to do ...

The real issue is that the entry corresponding to a form having been opened with OpenForm should be reset as soon as the form is closed, either by the user or programmatically. Probably feasible with a listener but this is a technique I'm not that familiar with ... If really useful I'm ready to learn. Please confirm your interest.

JPL
Kubuntu 22.04 / LibO 7.5
Access2Base (LibO).
ScriptForge (LibO)
pastim

Post by pastim »

JPL wrote: The real issue is that the entry corresponding to a form having been opened with OpenForm should be reset as soon as the form is closed, either by the user or programmatically. Probably feasible with a listener but this is a technique I'm not that familiar with ... If really useful I'm ready to learn. Please confirm your interest.

JPL
I don't think I need it or would use it, having found a method good enough for my (non-generic) purposes. So unless others need it I'd not be inclined to put the work in. It would be useful in the user guide could say that OpenArgs doesn't work fully.
pastim

Post by pastim »

pastim wrote:Being an adventurous (ie foolhardy) fellow I thought I'd try LO 4.0. Don't do it.
Just to let people know that the LO bug has now been fixed in LO 4.0.2.
ambparker
Banned

Post by ambparker »

The macros are callable from an OpenOffice/LibreOffice Base application.It offers a complete redesign of the code of the extension As an alternative I was thinking of implementing a system of passing data from one form to another via a temporary database table. muck up any data which one attempts to pass via globals.
OOo 3.3.0 and Apache OOo 3.4.1/4.0.0, on Ms Windows 7 and Mac OS-X.