[Solved] Windows 8 install stops

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Churl

[Solved] Windows 8 install stops

Post by Churl »

used ---> http://www.openoffice.org/download/ to download and everything is good till the message pops up asking if I am sure I want to allow changes to be made to windows, I click ok and everything disappears... nothing else happens. this is 1 week old machine HP Pavilion g7, I have tried many times and even disabled the virus protection and firewall thinking it was the problem but still nothing it gets to same point and poof nothing?
I even saved the download in my documents and then ran rather than just trying to "run" still nothing. the download is there but its not installing the program
Last edited by Churl on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 on XP/Win7/Win8
Hagar Delest

Re: Windows8 install stops

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I remember this error message but I can't find again the topic. Do you have the exact wording?
Have you tried to run the installer as administrator?

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Windows 8 install stops

Post by Bill »

What is the name of the file you downloaded from http://www.openoffice.org/download/ ?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Churl

Post by Churl »

file name I downloaded is
Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.1_Win_x86_install_en-US
running as admin gives exact same results
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try this: I can give no guarantee that it works, but at various stages in the past it has worked. Log in as Administrator (or on an account with administrator rights). Now, before running the install program, right click on it and select "Run as Administrator". Either it works or it won't. but won't do any harm.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Churl wrote:file name I downloaded is
Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.1_Win_x86_install_en-US
running as admin gives exact same results
When you run that file, it should unpack installation files on the Desktop in a folder named "OpenOffice.org 3.4.1 (en-US) Installation Files". It should contain three folders ("licenses", "readmes", "redist") and four files ("openofficeorg1.cab", "openofficeorg341.msi", "setup.exe", "setup.ini"). If so, right-click the "setup.exe" file and select "Run as Administrator".
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Churl

Post by Churl »

this worked great on my new win7 laptop but on the win8 laptop i got for my wife it isnt unpacking or doing anything past the download i saved
she has only 1 "user" that was created when she firt used the machine and entered her email info and now she enters her pasword and logs in no one else has "user on it or even touches it till now when i tried to help with OO i am assuming that this only user has all rights and we did try the run as admin already with no results
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is not unpacking? That is very strange. It should open also with an Archive Manager, such as WinZip, PKunxip (or others). I think there is an archive manager built into Windows 8, but I don't know its name. If you right click on the download ed file, you should be able to select "Open With" and choose the archive manager, whatever it is called. If the package does not open to display something similar to this, I think we should conclude that the download may be corrupted.
Unzipped AOO package.png
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Churl

Post by Churl »

not sure what just made the difference but i ran a virus scan which simply found the usual 42 tracking cookies and removed and restarted comp (again) but it locked and would not restart had to force power down then would not restart and had to force down again and start over. upon starting i gave 1 more try to the file with simple double click and POOF it worked as it always does.. Thanks for the help i am making SOLVED and giving comp to a very happy wife :)