[Solved] Personal settings locked

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Russell49

[Solved] Personal settings locked

Post by Russell49 »

PROBLEM :
"Either another instance of OpenOffice.org is accessing your personal settings or your personal settings are locked.
Simultaneous access can lead to inconsistencies in your personal settings. Before continuing you should ensure user closes OpenOffice on host. Do you really want to continue ? yes or No"

by RoryOF » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:12 pm

"You need to turn on an option to "View hidden files".

I have done this

"Now delete 'any lock files that show up' and start up OpenOffice again.
Such lock files are small - do not confuse with your data files which are larger."

1/ Where do I find 'any lock files that show up' ??
(I did look for them under "Folder Option/ File Types" but none of them were 'small' not had 'locked file' against them)

2/ regarding the comment : " and start up OpenOffice again"
A/ How do I first close OpenOffice in order to 'start up OpenOffice again' ?
B/ Do I close OpenOffice BEFORE I delete the locked files ?
C/ How do I close OpenOffice ?
D/ How do I "start up OpenOffice again" ?

please help asap please, as my business is stopped without access to OpenOffice
regards

Russell
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Openoffice 3.4.1 on Windows XP
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Opening program after crash

Post by thomasjk »

Use the Windows Search feature to find any files .~lock.Filename and delete them. Use Task Manager and terminate any soffice process that is running. Reboot your machine and then use the Windows Start-->All Programs-->Openoffice.org to open OOo.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Russell49

Post by Russell49 »

Tom
thanks for the reply, and I followed your instructions, however unfortunately the message STILL comes up saying :
"Either another instance of OpenOffice.org is accessing your personal settings or your personal settings are locked.
Simultaneous access can lead to inconsistencies in your personal settings. Before continuing you should ensure user closes OpenOffice on host. Do you really want to continue ? yes or No"

I had already turned on the control Panel option to "show hidden files & Folders". I then followed your below Instructions :
"1/ Use the Windows Search feature to find any files .~lock.Filename and delete them."

I put in " .~lock" into Windows Search/All Files & Folders- (I assume this was the correct description to seach for ?)
4 locked files appeared in the Windows Search - I then deleted all 4 - I then also cleared the Recycle bin of them

2/ "Use Task Manager and terminate any soffice process that is running. "
I could not find any process's in Task Manager

3/ "Reboot your machine and then use the Windows Start-->All Programs-->Openoffice.org to open OOo."
I rebooted (twice) and via Start/all programs/OpenOffice 3.4.1, I clicked "open OpenOffice.org"

But the message came up again !
Your further advice would be really appreciated Tom

regards
Russell
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Do another search for (simply) lock. as the leading character in Thomasjk's answer is a tilde not a hyphen; the Forum does not show the tilde. If you searched for a hyphen you may have missed the significant lock file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Russell49

Post by Russell49 »

Hi Rory

The Windows Search done was under specifically " lock." came up with 33

A/ Do I only delete ONLY the FOUR files referring to OpenOffice ?
B/ 2 are in C:\Program Files\Open Office.." called " l_lock.bmp " and " l_lock.bmp " - are these two Files OK to delete ?
C/ 2 are in C:\Open Office called " l_lock.bmp " and " l_lock.bmp " - are these two Files OK to delete ?

regards
Russell
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As far as OpenOffice is concerned, you need only delete files of the form

Code: Select all

.~lock.MyFileName.odt#
or having any other OpenOffice filetype (.ods, odp etc).

I don't know anything about the other files. If they are lock files they ought be small in size, perhaps a few hundred bytes, no bigger. Based on the size, you might decide to delete (or simply move) them.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Only delete the lock files that have the tilde following the .period(full stop)~lock. If the problem persists after deleting those files try resetting the user profile http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... 74&t=12426.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Russell49

Post by Russell49 »

Hi Rory

Forgive my difficulty in trying to understand your instructions

I DID previously deleted the four files that had ".~lock." ie. WITH the tilde (quiggle sign)
Then following your later Message, I subsequently did a 'Windows Search' of Files with " lock." ONLY ie. WITHOUT the tilde (quiggle sign),
The result was I got 2 additional files under C:\Program Files\Open Office.." called " l_lock.bmp " and " l_lock.bmp " and 2 other files under C:\Open Office called " l_lock.bmp " and " l_lock.bmp "

A/ I presume form your reply that I do NOT need to delete them ?

B/ "If the problem persists after deleting those files try resetting the user profile viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426."

For Windows users:
Before Vista (I have Windows XP : C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user\

My User Name is "Russell". I went into "My Documents and keyed
" C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user "

The Folder opened. I tried to change the name in the 'address" bar
FROM " C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user "

TO " C:\Documents and Settings\user.old\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user " - said could NOT find 'file'

THEN TO " C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user.old " - still said could NOT find 'file'

Rory please advise regarding A/ and B/ queries

regards
Russell
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A/ These files should not be affecting OpenOffice, therefore no need to delete them.

B/ To change the User Profile OpenOffice must be closed. On my XP machine the path is

C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\User
which should be changed to

C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\User.old
and then OpenOffice started up again.

Wherever the file may be on your computer, the directories listed (or their equivalent) should be empty until you get to the User directory; below the User directory is a nest of OpenOffice configuration directories. By changing User to User.old you hide these from OpenOffice and it makes new default directories containing default (and hopefully safe) settings. Any needed configuration data can be brought forward file by file from the old directory tree when the problem is solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Russell49 wrote:My User Name is "Russell". I went into "My Documents and keyed
" C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user "

The Folder opened. I tried to change the name in the 'address" bar
FROM " C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user "

TO " C:\Documents and Settings\user.old\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user " - said could NOT find 'file'

THEN TO " C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user.old " - still said could NOT find 'file'
Changing a files/folder name in the address bar doesn't rename the file/folder. It only changes the address to one that doesn't exist. That should always result in a "not found" error.

To change a file/folder name, you should open the file/folder's parent folder, then right-click the file/folder and select Rename. In this case, the address of the parent folder is C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\. Enter that address in the address bar. You should then see the user folder which you need to rename.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Russell49

Post by Russell49 »

Hi Bill & Rory

"To change a file/folder name, you should open the file/folder's parent folder, then right-click the file/folder and select Rename. In this case, the address of the parent folder is C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\. Enter that address in the address bar. You should then see the user folder which you need to rename."

I changed the ' address bar' TO C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3
and ONE Folder called "user"appeared AND ONE File called " .lock " appeared.
The ".lock" File Under the file's "properties" is described as :
Type of file : " LOCK File "
Opens with : " Unknown application " (ie UNKNOWN application)
Created : "Today, 6 February 2013, 1:05:32 AM" ( I do NOT believe I created this today !)
Size : " 153 bytes (153 bytes) "under properties type of file is "

QUESTION 1/A/ do I delete this file ??

QUESTION 1/ B/ this File did NOT display when doing Windows Search last night. My Control Panel was and is still set to 'display hidden files" This File is only displayed doing Windows Search when the Search advanced settings are ticked 'display hidden files' , but should not this file have been displayed in Windows Search anyway because My Control Panel was and is still set to 'display hidden files" ??

QUESTION 2/ There as ALSO a strange looking File listed WITHIN the FOLDER called " user" (in " C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user " ) - CALLED " registrymodifications.xcu "

Under "properties" it is described as :
Type of file : " OpenOffice.org 1.1 Configuration File "
Opens with : "Adobe"" - I think it was previously called "Unknown application " and that today I accidently changed it **
Created : "Today, 6 February 2013, 8:00:24 AM" ( I do NOT believe I created this today !)
Size : " 639 bytes (639 bytes) "

** QUESTION 2/ A/ I had gone into 'properties' for this File " registrymodifications.xcu "and I then clicked on "opens with"..."change", and I saw one of the options the File/Folder could be "changed to to open" was OpenOffice 3.4.1 However when I escaped out of "properties" for this File I think I accidently clicked 'OK' "changing opens with" TO "Adobe" instead of clicking 'cancel'

QUESTION 2/B/ should I go back again into 'properties' for this Folder/ File and use "opens with"..."change" and change what it opens with TO the program " OpenOffice 3.4.1 " ??

OR

QUESTION 2/ C/ should this File registrymodifications.xcu " be deleted irrespective anyway ?

QUESTION 3/ regarding this instruction with changing the 'user' to user.old ('"Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\User.old) and then OpenOffice started up again. "
Should I NOT do this if Open Office works OK AFTER I have followed your answers to Questions 1/A/ & B/ and 2/ A/B/& C/ ?

regards
Russell
Hagar Delest

Re: Personal settings locked

Post by Hagar Delest »

See also: [Solved] Another instance or settings locked, it explains where is the file exactly.
Reset the profile only if that hasn't worked (apply to Q3 also).

2/ C/ forget about the registrymodifications.xcu. Just reset the profile if needed.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Russell49

Post by Russell49 »

Hi Bill and Rory

Since my last message I sent to you Bill and Rory (copied again below), Hagar has kindly replied briefly, however I'm sorry I dont really understand what is being said - is it possible Bill or Rory for me to understand what I need TO DO to fix the problem without me accidently stuffing up my OpenOffice worse , if you Bill or Rory could kindly specifically reply individually to EACH of my below Questions 1/A,1/B/, 2/A/, 2/B/,2/C/, 3/, please - your patience would be help me

"To change a file/folder name, you should open the file/folder's parent folder, then right-click the file/folder and select Rename. In this case, the address of the parent folder is C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\. Enter that address in the address bar. You should then see the user folder which you need to rename."

I changed the ' address bar' TO C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3
The ".lock" File Under the file's "properties" is described as :
Type of file : " LOCK File "
Opens with : " Unknown application " (ie UNKNOWN application)
Created : "Today, 6 February 2013, 1:05:32 AM" ( I do NOT believe I created this today !)
Size : " 153 bytes (153 bytes) "under properties type of file is "

QUESTION 1/A/ do I delete this file ??

QUESTION 1/ B/ this File did NOT display when doing Windows Search last night. My Control Panel was and is still set to 'display hidden files" This File is only displayed doing Windows Search when the Search advanced settings are ticked 'display hidden files' , but should not this file have been displayed in Windows Search anyway because My Control Panel was and is still set to 'display hidden files" ??

Additionally SEPARATE Questions 2/A, 2/B/, 2/C/ and 3/ are listed below relating to there as ALSO a strange looking File listed WITHIN the FOLDER called " user" (in " C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user " ) - CALLED " registrymodifications.xcu "

Under "properties" it is described as :
Type of file : " OpenOffice.org 1.1 Configuration File "
Opens with : "Adobe"" - I think it was previously called "Unknown application " and that today I accidently changed it **
Created : "Today, 6 February 2013, 8:00:24 AM" ( I do NOT believe I created this today !)
Size : " 639 bytes (639 bytes) "

** QUESTION 2/ A/ I had gone into 'properties' for this File " registrymodifications.xcu "and I then clicked on "opens with"..."change", and I saw one of the options the File/Folder could be "changed to to open" was OpenOffice 3.4.1 However when I escaped out of "properties" for this File do you I think I accidently clicked 'OK' "changing opens with" TO "Adobe" instead of clicking 'cancel' ??

QUESTION 2/B/ should I go back again into 'properties' for this Folder/ File and use "opens with"..."change" and change what it opens with TO the program " OpenOffice 3.4.1 " ??

OR

QUESTION 2/ C/ should this File registrymodifications.xcu " be deleted irrespective anyway ??

QUESTION 3/ regarding this instruction with changing the 'user' to user.old ('"Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\User.old) and then OpenOffice started up again. "

IF Open Office works OK AFTER I have followed your answers to Questions 1/A/, 1/B/, 2/A, 2/B/,and 2/C/, should I still implement the above instruction about changing the user to user.old irrespective ??

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated
regards
Russell
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

1A/ and 1B/ Delete this file.
I can't check at present as I'm short of time and not on a Windows machine to check, but I think that .lock file, which has a different pattern to other OpenOffice lock files (document locks) is caused by the OpenOffice Quickstarter.

2A/ and 2B/ Ignore that file. Go up one directory level and rename the User folder to User.old.

3/ If OpenOffice is now working OK, don't do anything else.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Russell49 wrote:Since my last message I sent to you Bill and Rory (copied again below), Hagar has kindly replied briefly, however I'm sorry I dont really understand what is being said
[...]
Quite simple, as said in the other topic, just delete that file. And that's all. Once done, you should not see the error message about personal settings locked.

Only after if AOO still doesn't launch, then reset the profile. But that would be another problem.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
Russell49

Post by Russell49 »

Hi Rory

thanks for your assistance in replying to each of my queries which enabled me to understand what steps you were instucting me to take.

I've deleted the .lock file which was in C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3
I've changed the user name of user to user.old in C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3
I've then opened OpenOffice via All Programs
I've then gone back to C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3 and there are now 2 Folders,
one called 'user.old' and a new one called 'user'

I attempted to open various OpenOffice word & spreadsheet files - all successfully !

But when I rebooted the PC, whilst again I was able to successfully opened various OpenOffice word & spreadsheet files, the a .lock File REAPPEARED in C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3 (as well as the the 2 Folders 'user.old' and the new one called 'user')
I again deleted the .lock File
I went back to trying to open and various OpenOffice word & spreadsheet files & was able to successfully

1/ The reappearance of the .lock File in C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3 may therefore be caused each time I reboot - what should I do about what seems to be a continual reappearance of
a .lock File in C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3 each time I reboot ??

2/ do I now change the settings in Control Panel\folders\view BACK TO " hide locked files" ??

3/ You earlier had said by RoryOF » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:44 am
"Wherever the file may be on your computer, the directories listed (or their equivalent) should be empty until you get to the User directory; below the User directory is a nest of OpenOffice configuration directories. By changing User to User.old you hide these from OpenOffice and it makes new default directories containing default (and hopefully safe) settings. ANY NEEDED CONFIGURATION DATA can be brought forward file by file from the old directory tree when the problem is solved."

What do I need to do to bring any needed configuration data brought forward file by file from old directory tree ??

regards
Russell

PS/ I am very grateful that (notwithstanding the above 3 queries), they seem incidental compared to me now being able to access OpenOffice ! - for which your help & Bill's etc is really appreciated Rory
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

I'm running Libreoffice 3.5.7 in Win 7 and I do see a .lock in C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\LibreOffice\3. I have no idea off hand what its purpose is. It goes away when I close Libreoffice. As long as you are able to open your files with out issue I would leave well enough alone.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I suspect that the .lock file in question, which is of a different pattern to the

Code: Select all

.~lock.MyFile.odt#
lock files for OpenOffice data files is due to the Quickstarter. If that is so, it is only to allow one instance of the Quickstarter and there shoud be no need to delete it. So in answer to 1/, I advise _not_ to delete it.

2/ This is up to you. I, and most long-time computer users, will always have extension display and hidden file display enabled, as we like to know what is going on behind the scenes. If you turn it off, remember that you might need to turn it on in future if you have an OpenOffice crash, to help clear a problem.

3/ If you had, for example, customised dictionaries or customised templates, withOpenOffice (and Quickstarter?) closed, you could transfer these from user.old sub directories to the same user subdirectories; the date on the files and file sizes will indicate if they have been altered. If you don't know about user configuration you probably haven't any worth worrying about.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The .lock file appears any time AOO or the Quickstarter is running. It normally disappears automatically when AOO and the Quickstarter are closed. There is no reason to delete it manually if AOO opens normally. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The only time I've seen the reported error message, I selected "Yes" and AOO opened normally. The error message never reappeared. I can only guess that the .lock file had become corrupted, causing the error message, and answering "Yes" deleted the .lock file and replaced it with an uncorrupted .lock file.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Russell49

Post by Russell49 »

Rory and Bill

thanks very much to my remaining queries, and I will follow your advices and not delete the .lock file that has re- appeared in C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3 , and leave hidden files being displayed, given OpenOffice is now working !

your assistance has been appreciated

regards
Russell

PS/ for your information purposes only
After following your steps, OpenOffice worked, and there was NO .lock file in C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3 because I had deleted it.
When I rebooted the .lock file re- appeared in C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3
I had then deleted it again as I advised despite that .lock file being present the OpenOffice still worked yesterday.
I've today needed to reboot again, and the lock file AGAIN re- appeared in C:\Documents and Settings\Russell\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3 , however despite that .lock file being present the OpenOffice is still working today.
I will as mentioned above follow your advices and leave things as they are, given OpenOffice is working
Russell49

Post by Russell49 »

Thomas, also thanks to you for your help

regards
Russell
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Russell49: this .lock file appears whenever you run AOO. This is normal behavior. So don't touch it if there is no error message.