[Solved] Desktop shortcut icon missing

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
AllenPenticoff

[Solved] Desktop shortcut icon missing

Post by AllenPenticoff »

Just downloaded 3.4.1 Installation files remain on desktop and would like to move elsewhere, not sure how (thought the new version would go into downloads or program files but all happened on desktop). Also the OpenOffice desktop shortcut icon was replaced by a generic icon. It functions okay, but I like the look of the official OO icon. How to restore icon?
Last edited by thomasjk on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
Bill
Volunteer

Re: desktop shortcut icon missing

Post by Bill »

The downloaded file goes into Downloads or a temporary location depending on whether you select "Save" or "Run" when downloading. When the downloaded file is run, it unpacks the Installation Files folder on the Desktop. The Setup file in the Installation Files folder should run automatically and install the Program Files. The Installation Files folder can be deleted or moved after installation is complete.

To change the icon of the shortcut, right-click the icon and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, click "Change Icon..." and select the icon you want to use.
apenticoff

Re: Desktop shortcut icon missing

Post by apenticoff »

Thanks for the tip Bill. It worked. Sorry it's been awhile since I generated the question - but just now getting back to addressing this minor issue - my wife's netbook - I don't use it much.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
June9

Re: [Solved] Desktop shortcut icon missing

Post by June9 »

I just started using Open Office 4.1.1 and had this same issue. This answer is still valid for this version. Thanks Bill!
Bill wrote:The downloaded file goes into Downloads or a temporary location depending on whether you select "Save" or "Run" when downloading. When the downloaded file is run, it unpacks the Installation Files folder on the Desktop. The Setup file in the Installation Files folder should run automatically and install the Program Files. The Installation Files folder can be deleted or moved after installation is complete.

To change the icon of the shortcut, right-click the icon and select Properties. On the Shortcut tab, click "Change Icon..." and select the icon you want to use.
OpenOffice 4.1.
robglass

Re: [Solved] Desktop shortcut icon missing

Post by robglass »

Re: Download icon missing from toolbar.
Click the upper right pancake stack/Customize/Be sure "Auto Hide" is not checked.
Download icon restored. Quicker than " Tools/Downloads".
I downloaded CleanMyMac3 yesterday and thought that may have caused unfamiliar outcomes.

I am a very garden variety internet user probably with too much time on my hands ...
OpenOffice 4.1.5 and FireFox 60.0.1 on MacOS 10.13.4