Slide corrupted when saving to PPT

Discuss the presentation application
Bill C

Slide corrupted when saving to PPT

Post by Bill C »

I created a presentation in OO.o and everything worked fine.

When I saved the pres. to PPT, several slides are corrupted with background text about "outline levels".

Am I to assume that this is a MS created problem?

Thanks.....Bill C
Open Office 3.4.1 used on Mac OS10.5.8
Hagar Delest

Re: Slide corrupted when saving to PPT

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The .ppt file format has not been designed to be compatible with anything else than MS Office. If you use AOO, then better stick to its native format (ODF and .odp for presentation).
Else, export to PDF, it insures the best rendering, whatever the system is. But without any animation.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

Thanks Hagar, I figured that MS was the problem. I'll try saving to PDF, hadn't tried that.

Bill C
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

With all the three letter MS Office formats, export from OpenOffice works for simple formatting; for more complex formatting it can fail, as the transfer filters have had to be reverse engineered. The four letter MS Office fornats are even less well supported. As Hagar says, pdf is a useful transfer option, albeit also with some occasional losses, such as animations in Impress.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

Thanks Rory, I do all my estimates in .xls and have not had a problem saving to that, but I guess it may be safer to save those to pdf as well. Trouble is, many times I need to revise the estimates. My work uses all MS as do most of my customers.

Bill C
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Of course you keep the initial file in an editable format (.xls or .ods, the latter being the better). PDF is an export format only, no edition possible.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
uncle_josh

Post by uncle_josh »

Why did you save the presentation to PPT instead of ODP? You wanted to open the presentation in MS PowerPoint as well, right? I think this must be the only reason. Can you open the file in OpenOffice.org Impress? When do you find the slides are corrupted, opening the file in MS PowerPoint or OpenOffice.org Impress?
The file is saved in .ppt, so you have one option to repair it by using Open and Repair of MS PowerPoint. If still the problem persists, you need to take help of a third-party recovery software. Get any ppt repair software and try to recover your file. But before buying the full version I personally suggest you to check the demo version. Demo version of a software is freely available and works exactly similar as full version.
I have also faced such a situation in my past. Not exactly similar to this one, but quite resemble. I had around 30 presentation files of my business project. All went corrupted due to an obscure cause. I tried several things but to no avail. Then I used the demo version of sysinfotools ppt repair, it showed all my slides in the preview session. Though I was not able to save them due to the limitation of demo version. Then I got its full version and saved all my slides. All it took just half an hour.
You may also check this software. Its demo is free. Try it. :)
OpenOffice.org 3.4.1 with Windows XP
markykian

Post by markykian »

Your PowerPoint file is corrupted and this is repair by using RecoveryFix for PowerPoint recovery tool. This utility scans the damaged file to extract all the lost data and restore it in a new presentation file at a user-specified location and available for free evaluation.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
johnarnulf

Post by johnarnulf »

Your slides are corrupted, due to several reason, like virus attacks, system shutdown any other reason, accidental deletion of files and slides. I recommended an advance or professional PowerPoint Recovery software, you can use Kernel for PowerPoint Recovery Tool. It can easily recover all lost and corrupted data.

Features :

It can supports recovery of all PPT formats.
That can successfully restores Headers and footnotes.
Supports all version MS PowerPoint 95, 97, XP, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013.
Windows Vista/ MS office 2007
fredd_vander

Post by fredd_vander »

I've found this article on Google while searching free solutions for repairing corrupt PowerPoint file - http://wordpress.semnaitik.com/2014/04/01/repair-powerpoint-presentations/

There are few manual tricks are shared in the above article which can repair PowerPoint file (PPT). They don't require any 3rd party tool.
Last edited by robleyd on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Disable live links [robleyd - moderator]
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7