Publisher

Not sure where to post? Post here!
Gordon McGeachie

Publisher

Post by Gordon McGeachie »

I have been planning to upgrade my office software from office 2000 to the 2010 version, but at over £350 for the full version which includes publisher, is just way too expensive for me.

I have been using openoffice alongside my previoue version of MS office for a while, and the only thing stopping me going to openoffice totally is the lack of ` publisher` option.

Are there any plans to include this in a future release, or can it be added on at a later date :)
Open office version 3.3.0
windows xp sp3
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Publisher

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Gordon McGeachie

Thanks for that link............. :D

Will download it and have a look :)

Its about time that Microsoft were not so greedy about their pricing
windows xp sp3
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Gordon McGeachie wrote:Thanks for that link............. :D

It is not too difficult to steal MS Office. They removed the "genuine advantage" (copy protection) from their office products.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Gordon McGeachie

Villeroy wrote:
Gordon McGeachie wrote:Thanks for that link............. :D

It is not too difficult to steal MS Office. They removed the "genuine advantage" (copy protection) from their office products.
I would not know where to start if I were to do that.............
windows xp sp3
Greengiant224

Post by Greengiant224 »

Villeroy wrote:
Why steal it when we have a very good equivalent product in Apache OpenOffice which is totally FREE......
1. FREE of any vendor lock in,
2. FREE to with what you like (ie give away copies, and load as many copies on numerous machines) and
3. FREE of any monetary cost

What more do we need to add.

Thanks to the devs at Apache and the users of this forum for all the help and expertise. :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Greengiant224

Win 7, Portable AOO 4.1.14, LibreOffice 6.2, 7.4.5 & 7.6.1 (Java 1.7.81 & 1.8.0_281) utilising HSQL 1.8.10 & 2.4.*, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
+ Blood, Sweat and Tears (Application, Determination and Perseverance)
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Greengiant224 wrote:...
What more do we need to add.
According to the OP: DTP (The reason why this thread was started in the first place)

With Scribus having good support for ODF, the missing DTP is not a major shortcoming in my view. Some people still want it as an integral part of the suite.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
EB3551

Post by EB3551 »

You can purchase Publisher 2010 as a single program. I paid about $120 (US) for it recently. I use it in conjunction with OpenOffice Writer 3.4.

If you do install Publisher 2010, you should be aware that, for some reason, OpenOffice Writer does not recognize the format of text copied from the Publisher 2010 clipboard. So you cannot copy and paste text from Publisher 2010 to Writer. There's any easy work-around, just copy the text first into the Windows Notepad, then copy that into OO. I think it has to do with Publisher 2010's extensive use of XML.

There is no problem cutting and pasting text from a .DOC or .DOCX format document from Oo Writer to Publisher 2010.

I use Publisher 2010 to create a club newsletter, and also need to copy some of the text Oo Writer, in order to share it with other people as .DOC file.
I didn't have a problem copying and pasting text from Publisher 2003 to Oo Writer. I don't think 2003 used XML.

EB
Apache OpenOffice 3.04, Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Gordon McGeachie wrote: I would not know where to start if I were to do that.............
The start is always the same: borrow an installation disk from someone.
jweyrauch

Post by jweyrauch »

hello....i am new to the community. i have had oo 3.4.1 for quite a while and love it. I recently received an important doc with a .pub extension and cannot open it. i also have ms office 2010. how do i open a mo publisher doc? thanks
installed on XP - Open Office 3.4.1
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

jweyrauch wrote:hello....i am new to the community. i have had oo 3.4.1 for quite a while and love it. I recently received an important doc with a .pub extension and cannot open it. i also have ms office 2010. how do i open a mo publisher doc? thanks
Why does the sender believe that you have MS Publisher? This is an impertinence.
Ask him to export the file to something readable, say PDF.