Using dual monitors with the beta 3 version

Discuss the presentation application
grandorse

Using dual monitors with the beta 3 version

Post by grandorse »

I hope it is all right to post questions about the beta version here.

I thought that one of the new features is the ability to use impress with two monitors--one with speaker notes and one for the audience. Right now I'm using the MAC version but I will soon be using it on my laptop with Windows XP. I hope to be able to create on my mac, then use the laptop for the presentation and hook up to a projection screen.

I find lots of help on this topic for linux users, but not for windows or leopord. Is there a simple step I'm missing?
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Using dual monitors with the beta 3 version

Post by TheGurkha »

Do you want to have the same or different images displayed on the laptop and the projector?

If it is the same, then you can do it on most laptops by using a key combination that cycles through displaying on Laptop only->Projector only->Laptop and Projector together->Laptop only etc etc.

The key combination varies from manufactuer to manufacturer.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
grandorse

Post by grandorse »

I want to have different things on the two monitors--slide show on one, speaker notes on the other (laptop).
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

Found this:
OpenOffice.org Impress supports multiple monitors; so that presenters can look at something else while presenting their slides on a projector. With the upcoming Presenter Console Extension this feature can be exploited to its maximum because then presenters will be able to see their next slides as well as the time and the speaker notes.
On: http://marketing.openoffice.org/3.0/fea ... in_Impress
With the upcoming Presenter Console Extension
I'm not sure if they mean this is a forthcoming add-on, or that this functionality is in OOo 3, which is forthcoming. it sounds like it does what you want though, when it arrives :)
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
cj0010

Post by cj0010 »

This feature is already in 3.0beta and works fine (at least on Fedora 9). On my system, the second monitor has to be activated _before_ starting OO, otherwise the second screen is not available. It shouldn't matter on which OS you prepare and view the presentation, however, you should probably stick with OO 3.0beta once you have started a presentation with it (it uses a newer ODF version than OO 2.4).

HTH, cj0010