[Solved] swriter, soffice etc exits without doing anything

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
terenceoo

[Solved] swriter, soffice etc exits without doing anything

Post by terenceoo »

I have had OpenOffice3.3.0 installed on CentOS 5.9 for a while now and it was working without any problems. However, now whenever
I start soffice, swriter, scalc etc it just exits without doing anything - not even a splash screen appears. If I log in as another user, it works without any problems, so I thought something was wrong in my .openoffice.org directory and removed it completely. Still the same thing happens whenever I start OpenOffice: it just exits without doing anything, even though a new .openoffice.org directory is generated.
Like I said, any other user can use OpenOffice without any problems, so what is it about my user account that is wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Terence
Last edited by terenceoo on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on CentOS 5.9
Hagar Delest

Re: swriter, soffice etc exits without doing anything

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Strange indeed. Any specific event just before it stopped working?
Could you try to upgrade to latest 3.4.1 (install with the packages from the AOO web site, more robust that the distro packages IMHO).

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
terenceoo

Re: [SOLVED] swriter, soffice etc exits without doing anythi

Post by terenceoo »

I've finally worked out what the problem was. I accidentally tried to open swriter on my machine when I was logged into it remotely.
Of course it failed to open, but this left a dead swriter process still running in the background which was screwing up all my configuration files in .openoffice.org, even when a new one was generated. I fixed the problem by killing the dead process, removing .openoffice.org and then re-starting soffice.

Thanks for your reply.
Terence
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on CentOS 5.9