[Solved] Search text known to be in a post yeilds zip.

Let us know how we are doing -
djpython

[Solved] Search text known to be in a post yeilds zip.

Post by djpython »

I read a post about a member who was unable to create and shortcut a macro to create a timestamp of his liking. The moderator (answerer) reminded this member that he did solve the problem as stated, but merely supplied an alternative route to the specific instance the member had proposed.

I was in the exact same situation as the poster and I was also unable to shortcut this timestamp (or any other macro- you can see my post from 3pmJan16 about custom shortcuts as well).

So while I wait for a reply to the custom shortcut aspect of the problem, I really need to timestamp some stuff and I would like to refer to the original thread to get the workable hack the replier proposed. I do know that the author did use the =now() formula in his attempts and used this expression verbatim in his post. When I search for 'now()" though, (I tried in more than one type of search box from more than one location in open office forum) I get '"no suitable match"'. Why no match to contents of a post I know contained this text?

(I went through the settings for advanced search and none seemed to proclude this. Searching contents was checked.)
Thank you so much for reading my post.

dp
Last edited by thomasjk on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
Open Office 3.4.1 on MacOS 10.8
acknak

Re: Search text known to be in a post yeilds zip.

Post by acknak »

The forum search is weak in some respects. For example, it silently ignores any search terms three characters or less.

Google is sometimes better; use the site:http://forum.openoffice.org modifier (clickable search link):
https://www.google.com/search?q=now+tim ... office.org
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
djpython

Post by djpython »

Thanks acknak, I got it in google on the first hit!!

BTW...You dont happen to know if I can search for a specific member's posts do you?
djpython

Post by djpython »

I tried to write [solved] but couldnt then tried to cancel but there seems to be only save-preview-submit.
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Search text known to be in a post yeilds zip.

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can also use the Custom Search Engine on the top right of the landing page: http://forum.openoffice.org/
It's very efficient and it can be limited to search through the forums only (both this one and oooforum).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Re: [Solved] Search text known to be in a post yeilds zip.

Post by acknak »

Good point--I always forget about that one.

There may also be a time factor. I believe the forum search works from an index which has to be re-built periodically; I don't know if there may be some time before new posts are added to the index. It might take a day or so before new posts show up in a search.

That could be a factor for most search engines: there's always some delay before new content gets added.

Just my best guess--don't take it as fact.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23