Compatibility with MS Word comments feature

Discuss the word processor
Legeica

Compatibility with MS Word comments feature

Post by Legeica »

Hi there, I've recently been hired on as an editor with a small press, however we are having issues with my being able to see the MS Word comment balloons (track changes) in Open Office. Can anyone give me a hand with figuring this out? I would be extremely grateful :)

Kitty
foxcole
Volunteer

Re: Compatibility with MS Word comments feature

Post by foxcole »

Legeica wrote:I've recently been hired on as an editor with a small press
Congratulations! My fondest wish is to become a full-time freelance editor. I wish you all the best in your new position and hope you find it fulfilling and enjoyable.
Legeica wrote:however we are having issues with my being able to see the MS Word comment balloons (track changes) in Open Office.
Those translate into Notes in OpenOffice. The notes are hard to see because they're small pale-yellow boxes in the text; however, they're easy to find using the Navigator. Expand the Notes category tree. Here, you can preview each note as a tool tip and double-click on a note to go to its location in the text.

For future reference, OOo 3.0 is slated to have a vastly improved version of Notes. :) User "parmruss" in another forum provided this link, where you can see screenshots of mock-ups and read the design details:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Notes2#Status
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Legeica

Post by Legeica »

Thank you! I am able to see the comments now. I can see the yellow box that denotes comments made with OO, but I was unable to see the comments made in Word and sent back to me. I can see them using the navigator, though. Good to know that there's going to be a new system with OO3, as this is rather clunky and I wouldn't want to have to keep using it forever, that's for sure.
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

The OOo 3.0 alpha is ready now. It contains the new notes feature. Please test and report any bugs.

OpenOffice.org 3.0's new features, an early look
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
Caracalla
Volunteer

Post by Caracalla »

AndrewZ wrote:The OOo 3.0 alpha is ready now. It contains the new notes feature. Please test and report any bugs.

OpenOffice.org 3.0's new features, an early look
Very nice overview, thanks for that :D
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1