Windows 8 / OpenOffice problem?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
garywaiman

Windows 8 / OpenOffice problem?

Post by garywaiman »

Hi folks,

I have been reading some threads of problems that some Windows 8 users have been having installing OpenOffice. Fact is, there does seem to be an issue and I am definitely suffering this too.

Whenever I double-click the .exe file (regardless of whether it is on the desktop or in my downloads folder), the UAC screen pops up, I click "yes" then nothing happens. Nothing appears in task manager, nothing is being installed - nothing. This is bugging me no end and now, it seems to be happening with .exe files unrelated to OpenOffice (WinRAR, WinZip to name two). I read somewhere that Windows 8 Home Edition does not allow the installation of downloaded .exe files, in an attempt by Windows to force you to use their apps from the, quite frankly, pathetic App Store.

Can anyone confirm to me if this is true, and more importantly, if anyone has managed to overcome similar problems to mine?
OpenOffice 3.4.1/Windows 8
Greengiant224

Re: Windows 8 / OpenOffice problem?

Post by Greengiant224 »

Have you a ' new' PC/Laptop? Does it have a new motherboard?
You may have trouble with the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)
Try this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Ex ... _Interface

If so google is your friend.

Win 7, Portable AOO 4.1.14, LibreOffice 6.2, 7.4.5 & 7.6.1 (Java 1.7.81 & 1.8.0_281) utilising HSQL 1.8.10 & 2.4.*, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
+ Blood, Sweat and Tears (Application, Determination and Perseverance)
Hagar Delest

Re: Windows 8/OpenOffice problem?

Post by Hagar Delest »

See also: How to stop UAC prompt every time I try to start OO?

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Windows 8/OpenOffice problem?

Post by Bill »

garywaiman wrote:This is bugging me no end and now, it seems to be happening with .exe files unrelated to OpenOffice (WinRAR, WinZip to name two). I read somewhere that Windows 8 Home Edition does not allow the installation of downloaded .exe files, in an attempt by Windows to force you to use their apps from the, quite frankly, pathetic App Store.

Can anyone confirm to me if this is true, and more importantly, if anyone has managed to overcome similar problems to mine?
Where did you read this? I haven't seen this here or on any Windows 8 forum. If you're having a problem with Windows 8, you're more likely to find experienced Windows 8 users who can offer help on a Windows 8 forum.
GeoSteven

Post by GeoSteven »

I'm having the exact problem as originally posted above and I'm not seeing the answer here. I've just dloaded the latest version of OO and am attempting to install it on a Win8 box. I get the UAC prompt and approve but nothing else happens. I've adjusted compatibility settings and tried nearly every combination. The odd part is that, once the UAC has been answered, nothing else is ever presented on the screen. Other than some fairly intensive disk activity for about 10 seconds nothing happens at all.

In the responses so far I only see what appear to be stabs in the dark at a solution. GaryWaiman did any of these suggestions solve your problem? Has anyone been able to install OO341 on Win8 and if so is it stable? Bill, posting this on the OO forums seems justifiable because I've installed other apps on Win8 and have yet to see this behavior.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 8 - 64 bit
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

I installed V3.4.1 on my friends WIN 8 machine with no issues. I did experience what you describe installing the latest Java. I ended up rebooting his machine and finally got the Java to install.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
GeoSteven

Post by GeoSteven »

Thanks-I already tried the reboot with no success.
Is the Java install a precursor to installing OO?
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 8 - 64 bit
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

GeoSteven wrote:I'm having the exact problem as originally posted above and I'm not seeing the answer here. I've just dloaded the latest version of OO..
Please tell us the program name and version number and the site you used to download it. There are some ad-supported sites that offer "OO". One I tried shortly before removing the Windows 8 Consumer Preview installed some browser add-ons, but did not install "OO".
GeoSteven wrote:In the responses so far I only see what appear to be stabs in the dark at a solution. GaryWaiman did any of these suggestions solve your problem? Has anyone been able to install OO341 on Win8 and if so is it stable? Bill, posting this on the OO forums seems justifiable because I've installed other apps on Win8 and have yet to see this behavior.
Garywaiman DID see the same behavior with other programs. You may have a completely different problem. I had AOO 3.4.1 installed on the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. There were no problems.
Last edited by Bill on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

GeoSteven wrote:Is the Java install a precursor to installing OO?
It's not a requirement. I had AOO 3.4.1 installed on Windows 8 Consumer Preview without Java.
marykora

Post by marykora »

Were you able to solve this problem, because I am having the same one and am unable to find an answer!! Thanks.
OpenOffice4.0.1/Windows 8
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

It would be more helpful to describe your problem in a new thread. There are already two different problems being discussed in this thread.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04