[Solved] Spell Check & Windows 8

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
carterf50

[Solved] Spell Check & Windows 8

Post by carterf50 »

Hello, I hope I am not asking a question that's already been answered but I just installed open office 3.4.1 on my new WIN 8 laptop and when I am in Writer I can not get spell check to work. It does not check my spelling as I type nor when I ask it to check the whole document. It just pops up a window that says "Spell Check Complete" in front of a larger window that appears to have spell check options available. Do matter what I click on I can not get to the options window. When I say OK both windows disappear and I am back at my document with the spelling not checked. I am a terrible speller so I really need some help here.

Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting ideas you can send my way.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Ric
Open Office 3.4.1, Windows 8
FJCC

Re: Newbie Question Re;Spell Check & WIN 8

Post by FJCC »

There is a tutorial for troubleshooting the spell checker here.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Re: Newbie Question Re;Spell Check & WIN 8

Post by RoryOF »

The spell check actions you describe suggest to me that your installed dictionary and default languages do not match. The language Openoffice thinks is in use is shown at bottom left of Status bar. Each particular flavour of English requires its specific dictionary. Work through the tutorial to which FJCC directed you and come back with further questions if necessary.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
carterf50

Re: Spell Check & Windows 8

Post by carterf50 »

Got it. The tutorial was just what I needed. Showed me that my document had some kind of direct formatting going on and once I cleared the formatting the correct language appeared at the bottom of my screen. What was the clincher it was the document was that when I created a new document the correct language appeared. I believe the doc I was having trouble with was a RTF created in WordPad. Thanks again for the help!
Ric
Open Office 3.4.1, Windows 8
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Spell Check & Windows 8

Post by Hagar Delest »

Beware that the RTF support is very poor in AOO. Better switch to ODF ASAP.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Ida

Re: [Solved] Spell Check & Windows 8

Post by Ida »

After installing OpenOffice on my new laptop (using Windows 8), I noticed that the spellchecker was not working. I located the SpellCheck Troubleshooting Tutorial here in the forums, and after trying the various activities listed, I came to the one that suggested copying my User folder from my old computer (in a flash drive) and deleting the User folder on my new computer then coping my old-computer-user-folder into the spot in my new computer. Whizbang! Spellcheck works as intended. Thank you so much for the help!!!
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 8