[Solved] Linux crashed by Calc

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
Horse

[Solved] Linux crashed by Calc

Post by Horse »

I should probably upgrade the OpenOffice I have on my SUSE Linux system, but I want to be sure the upgrade will fix the one major problem I have. Can you tell me if the problem of Linux system crashing when coming out of sleep/hibernation has been addressed?
Specific symptoms: Usually when a spreadsheet is open, when my laptop hibernates, it will not awaken. Sometimes I get the splash box asking for a password, but it is blank and accepts no input so far as I can tell. Sometimes, the system doesn't even get that far before it freezes.
It does seem to be becoming more common. At first the crash only seemed to happen if a spreadsheet was unsaved when I left my laptop. Now it will happen even if all docs are saved. I have never encountered a similar problem with Writer and don't use the other apps very much.

System Specs: OpenOffice 3.3.0 Build 9567
SUSE 11 (not sure how to check this or get details) using Gnome
Running on a Lenovo T61 ThinkPad
Last edited by Horse on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Higbie
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Win 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Linux crashed by calc

Post by Hagar Delest »

Well, difficult to know. I don't remember many topics about such problem. Just try and you'll see. Better use the official packages from the official AOO website BTW. Personally I find this method more robust than the packages delivered by the distros by default.

Under Windows I've never experienced such problem. Under Linux I don't hibernate at all so can't say.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

What suggests that the problem is due to OOo, and not a problem with the system/hardware?

My bet would be the system: I've seen plenty of reports of problems with Linux & laptop power management/hibernation.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RGB

Post by RGB »

A bit off topic, but openSUSE 11.2 is on "end of life" since a couple of years now, so unless you use "evergreen" repos (and even if you use evergreen repos) you definitively need an upgrade.

As a long time SUSE/openSUSE user (since 7.0 times) I must say that the heavily patched OOo/LibO versions distributed by them is ALWAYS troublesome: an official build, either of AOO or LibO will be far more stable.

I do not use hibernate option (my 5 years old laptop starts on less than 50 seconds, so I do not need it), so I cannot say anything about that problem.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
peterroots
Volunteer

Post by peterroots »

Personally I would be careful about using hibernate on Linux (see http://www.howtogeek.com/113923/how-to- ... ntu-12.04/ for example and also http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get- ... ation.html). I would never hibernate a machine with unsaved files either on Linux or Windows. I never hibernate my computer because of problems I have had the in the past and the posts I keep seeing of problems with it.
LibreOffice 4.0.3 OpenSUSE 12.3 : OpenOffice 4 Linux Mint 15
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I suspend my Linux (Ubuntu/lunbuntu)machines, but never leave OpenOffice open during a suspend (there were reports of corrupt files when OpenOffice was open during suspend or hibernation).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Horse

Post by Horse »

Thank everyone for their suggestions. Except for realizing I need to update my system and AOO, I'm about where I was before.
I do suspect that the crashes are due to some interaction between my laptop hardware and SUSE 11. The rub was that they only occur when calc is running when hibernation occurs.
Again, thank you everyone for your help. I hope you have a nice holiday season and a happy new year. I will mark the subject solved so others don't worry about explaining more.
Lee Higbie
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Win 10