[Solved+Issue] Converting QuattroPro .qpw files

Discuss the spreadsheet application
furma2n

[Solved+Issue] Converting QuattroPro .qpw files

Post by furma2n »

Does anyone know how to convert a Quattro Pro .qpw file into Calc 2.4? All my backup files are in this old format, and Excel will not open them, so I thought maybe Calc could do it, but I can not figure out how. Any help will be appreciated...............
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Tagged the thread as issue (link to a bug report).
squenson
Volunteer

Re: Converting QuattroPro .qpw files

Post by squenson »

If you tried and it did not work, then it means that it is not possible. There is a filter for Quattro pro, but the extension is wb2, not qpw.

You should go to http://www.corel.com and download a trial version, open your old files, save them in Excel format (or OOo Calc format if allowed), and then open them with OOo.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
furma2n

Post by furma2n »

Thanks, this did the trick..............
squenson
Volunteer

Post by squenson »

Please do me (us) a favor then: edit your first post and add "[solved]" (without the quotes) at the beginning of the subject line, so other forum participants may benefit from your solution.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
rebresb

Re: NOT [Solved] Converting QuattroPro .qpw files

Post by rebresb »

This doesn't solve the problem since .qpw files don't always fit into Excel format. The QP export into Excel uses pre-2007 MS Office format of 256 columns x 65,536 rows, but the .qpw limits are well in excess of that: 18,276 columns x 1e6 rows. Since Excel 2007 has 16,384 columns x 1e6 rows, its still smaller than Quattro Pro and won't be a solution even if QP upgrades their export for Excel files to 2007 format.
Though a fix is in the works to upgrade OOo Calc to accommodate these larger sizes (http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=30215), it's still using the archaic limit of the old Excel files (a poor industry "standard") and import for large QP sheets won't be possible until OOo completes this fix. This is why my workgroup purchased Corel Office X3: inadequate function in both Excel and OpenOffice.org spreadsheets. I'll anxiously await the upgrade to OOo Calc and implementation of a direct import filter for .qpw, since even Excel can't do that right now. OOo should take the lead in such compatibility and cross-platform support issues.
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x + WinXP
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: NOT [Solved] Converting QuattroPro .qpw files

Post by TheGurkha »

rebresb wrote:I'll anxiously await the upgrade to OOo Calc and implementation of a direct import filter for .qpw, since even Excel can't do that right now.
Are you aware of any plans to implement a .qpw filter? Or are you just saying you'll look forward to a day when such a thing comes about?
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
rebresb

Re: [Solved+Issue] Converting QuattroPro .qpw files

Post by rebresb »

I'm not aware of anyone working on a filter for .qpw files, but hope that someone considers it. It would be great to have this enhancement over competitors. Quattro Pro has used .qpw format since ~2002, so it's been around for quite some time. Though I saw a claim that Calc "supports Quattro Pro files", this claim seems weak since it only applies to the very outdated format of .wb2. Of course, demand hasn't been strong for such filters given its small market share.
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x + WinXP
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

rebresb wrote:Of course, demand hasn't been strong for such filters given its small market share.
I think thats the nail, and you seem to have struck it firmly on the head. Perhaps Zamzar or another free file conversion site can convert directly from quattro to calc?
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Windrider6

Post by Windrider6 »

I too used to use Quattro Pro (as well as WordPerfect), and would like to request an import filter for Calc to load Quattro Pro's .qpw files.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Then vote for the issue linked above (up to 2 votes per issue). You'll need to register, it's not the same user database as this forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10