[Solved] Best file format for email attachment?

Discuss the word processor
Dennis Cozens

[Solved] Best file format for email attachment?

Post by Dennis Cozens »

Today, using the Writer program, I processed and saved an item in the normal way. Later, the item was sent by email to a colleague as an attachment. I have now been informed by my colleague that he cannot open the attachment.

I have looked at the folder and have noticed that the symbol immediately to the left of the file's title is different to all the others. It appears to be a rectancle with the top right-hand corner missing. Inside the rectangle there is a box which seems to have a blue horizontal bar across the top. Underneath the blue bar there is a red dot to the left and a green dot to the right.

I cannot find anything in Help to say what the sign means, so I do not know where to start to solve this problem.

Is there anyone who can say what the problem is likely to be and how I can turn the file into a format that can be opened in an email?

I am one of the grey-haired age group and completely self-taught, so please keep any advice simple.

Many thanks to you all.

Dennis
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Apache Open Office 3 Windows XP Home Edition Verson 2002
RoryOF

Re: Files

Post by RoryOF »

In haste: save your document /File /Save As, drop file type to MS Office 97/2000/XP and make sure "automatic file name extension" is checked.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Re: best file format for email attachment?

Post by acknak »

As RoryOF said.

Alternatively, you can try the menu: File > Send > Email as PDF, or Document as MSWord

The "send" menu does not work with web-based email, such as yahoo, gmail or hotmail; it should work if you use a desktop email application like Outlook.

I prefer to send documents as pdf, since almost anyone can open them and formatting is preserved. The other document formats are only needed if the recipient needs to edit the attachment.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Dennis Cozens

Re: best file format for email attachment?

Post by Dennis Cozens »

Many thanks to you both. Problem solved. Life restored to normal!
Apache Open Office 3 Windows XP Home Edition Verson 2002