[Issue] Table template

Using them, Making them, Finding them
marcin201

[Issue] Table template

Post by marcin201 »

I would like to create writer template which uses different table formatting. In particular I am interested in changing the default Spacing to Contents. How can I do this.

Thanks,

Marcin
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged thread as Issue (link to a bug report).
Hagar Delest

Re: Table template

Post by Hagar Delest »

You should subscribe and vote for it (up to 2 votes per issue) : Issue 11121 - Styles for tables.

I tag the thread as Issue.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Re: [Issue] Table template

Post by acknak »

The point being that since tables do not have styles, there's no way to save the different default settings in a template.

As a (clumsy) workaround, you can set up a table the way you want and put that in the template. You'll have to then copy that table to make new ones with the settings you want.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
JimP

Post by JimP »

Workaround:

Open new Writer document. Turn on View->Non-printing Characters.
Insert three carriage returns. (Call these Line #1, #2, and #3 for reference, but don't type anything yet.)
Click on the second one, so you have a pilcrow above and below the selected line.
Insert your table.
Format it the way you want it to appear in *every* document: Alignment (Left/centered/right); spacing to text; break across pages; headings, etc.)

Now, we're going to save that table for future use:
Click in line #1 (first pilcrow)
Drag to line #3 (last pilcrow)
Edit->Copy
Edit->Autotext...
Enter a name and a shortcut. (Mine was Name: Table 2 Col; s/c: T2C)
Select the desired category (I used My Autotext, but you can create your own categories.)
Click the Autotext button on the right, and select New
You're done.

Now, in any writer document when I need a new two-column table, I get one by typing T2C and hitting F3.

You can, of course, create text frames to hold your tables. Create a special frame style to set the anchor, wrap, text spacing, and alignment. Then, insert a frame, select the style, and drop your table into it.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Good tips--Thanks!
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
foxcole
Volunteer

Post by foxcole »

acknak wrote:The point being that since tables do not have styles, there's no way to save the different default settings in a template.
AutoFormat is what I would consider to be styles for tables. There's also AutoText as already described, of course, but table autoformats are easy enough to create too.

Insert a table and format all the spacing, columns, row appearances, text flow attributes, fonts, shading, etc. as you wish. If you want alternating colors on the rows, create two data rows, one of each color. The colors will automatically alternate when you apply the autoformat.

Or just use an existing table that's already formatted the way you want.

Click anywhere in the table (if the insertion point isn't already there).
Choose Table> AutoFormat.
Click Add.
Name the format.
Click OK all the way out.

To apply an autoformat, click anywhere in a table, choose Table> AtuoFormat and select the format you want from the list.

The advantage of autotext is that you can insert a new formatted table anywhere.
The advantage of autoformat is that you can reformat any existing table... which is useful if you're bringing in tables from external sources, for example, or redesigning an existing document, or if you decide halfway through a project that the content could use different formats for different kinds of information.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit