[Solved] Why do you guys put "OpenOffice.org" in the title?

Talk about anything at all....
Lone Fox

[Solved] Why do you guys put "OpenOffice.org" in the title?

Post by Lone Fox »

Its really unprofessional... what other program does this? I can't think of any... exactly.

On my start menu/page every other application is titled appropriately.
When I open an application, its not titled as a website.

Why can't you guys just name your application "OpenOffice" instead of "OpenOffice.org"... its not a website, its an application.
Last edited by TheGurkha on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 8
FJCC

Re: Why do you guys put "OpenOffice.org" in the title?

Post by FJCC »

When there was a product called OpenOffice.org the name was a result of a company in The Netherlands owning the rights to "OpenOffice". The product is now called Apache OpenOffice. The name was changed when Oracle donated the project to the Apache Software Foundation. The remaining references to the product as OpenOffice.org in the menus and documentation will be cleaned up over time, I expect.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In addition to FJCC's comment I'd remark that the source code for OpenOffice is (last time I looked) about 300 MB, the equivalent of about 100 copies of "War and Peace", so it is not surprising that in such a volume of text there might be residual names which have been overlooked in the branding change-over. These will be changed in future code revisions.
 Edit: For Information: this list is for User to User help and is not generally frequented by the Developers; the active Forum volunteer community has little or no responsibility fr the actual code production. However, I have posted your observation to a developer mailing list where (hopefully) it will receive attention for some future code revision. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
yorick

Post by yorick »

Lone Fox wrote:Its really unprofessional... what other program does this? I can't think of any... exactly.

On my start menu/page every other application is titled appropriately.
When I open an application, its not titled as a website.
If we were being like sheep and the same as the other guy we would be charging you for the priviledge of using it, it was actually a darn good idea. As for "unprofessional", you mean we don't make any money from it. That's true, but I don't see that as a problem.
Why can't you guys just name your application "OpenOffice" instead of "OpenOffice.org"... its not a website, its an APPLICATION

Why would we want to do that? We have a perfectly good name that serves as both the name of the application and the place that you can download later versions, get assistance, get extensions and lots of other stuff. We put that right up there so people know exactly where we are. Seems like a great idea to me, seems like the others should copy us.
OpenOffice.org MarCon New Zealand
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Why do you guys put "OpenOffice.org" in the tit

Post by RoryOF »

Update at 201211111430: I have been informed that the old name was left in some areas during the transition from Oracle to Apache, but all names should be consistent from AOO 4.0.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RGB

Re: [Solved] Why do you guys put "OpenOffice.org" in the tit

Post by RGB »

For the record, rebranding is now complete on recent development builds:
Branding.png
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice