[Solved] Fedora 17: libXext.so.6: cannot open shared object

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
SpeciesK

[Solved] Fedora 17: libXext.so.6: cannot open shared object

Post by SpeciesK »

Hello, I have tried to setup the new Apache OpenOffice on my new installed fedora 17 desktop edition. Problem is I been having trouble. I have installed jre, glibc and OpenOffice. I thought my problems were over untill i tried to start my software and I got this message....

[SpecialK@DCR ~]$ openoffice.org3
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libXext.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have tried many different things I found on other websites that i can not recall at the moment. Nothing has worked so far. Anyone know how to fix this issue or to point me in a good direction?

Thank You
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OPENOFFICE ver. 3.4
Linux Fedora ver. 17 Desktop Edition
acknak

Re: Fedora 17 Desktop Edition + libXext.so.6: cannot open -

Post by acknak »

Is there some reason you don't want to use the Fedora OOo (or LibreOffice) packages? That would be much easier to install and keep updated.
 Edit: PS: 
That missing file comes with the "libXext" package, so you should be able to install it with something like:
sudo yum install libXext
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
SpeciesK

Post by SpeciesK »

Neither were installed with the ISO I had used to install Fedora 17 Desktop. So I chose Apache OpenOffice due to using it when I had Windows 7. I like Apache OpenOffice, was that a bad decision?

I tried the command you suggested I try. This was the result.

Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Package libXext-1.3.1-1.fc17.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do
OPENOFFICE ver. 3.4
peterroots
Volunteer

Post by peterroots »

Can't offer a solution but I installed AOO3.4 on Fedora 17 with no problem along side LO 3.6.7 - since the install the only issue I have had is that the updates try to install the fedora version of libreoffice.ure as this, apparently, obsoletes the AOO version. Ignoring it works fine.
I would try the version of LO from the Fedora repositories, as Acknak suggests, but for one additional reason. If this installs and works it may pull in something vital you are missing and if it does not then you have a fairly well messed up install of Fedora (this is my suspicion) - if this is the case you may be better off starting from scratch and reinstalling Fedora. If your Fedora is OK and LO works then either use that, or if you can't live with it, you could either install AOO along side it or replace LO with AOO
LibreOffice 4.0.3 OpenSUSE 12.3 : OpenOffice 4 Linux Mint 15
SpeciesK

Post by SpeciesK »

peterroots wrote:Can't offer a solution but I installed AOO3.4 on Fedora 17 with no problem along side LO 3.6.7 - since the install the only issue I have had is that the updates try to install the fedora version of libreoffice.ure as this, apparently, obsoletes the AOO version. Ignoring it works fine.
I would try the version of LO from the Fedora repositories, as Acknak suggests, but for one additional reason. If this installs and works it may pull in something vital you are missing and if it does not then you have a fairly well messed up install of Fedora (this is my suspicion) - if this is the case you may be better off starting from scratch and reinstalling Fedora. If your Fedora is OK and LO works then either use that, or if you can't live with it, you could either install AOO along side it or replace LO with AOO

Ok, I will try that right now. Thank You

As for my Fedora, I downloaded it here http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options

I had chose the Desktop Edition, should I have chosen differently?
I am new with Linux but not so much with Apple or Microsoft Products. I am begginer with Linux but am pretty satisfied so far growing pains aside.
OPENOFFICE ver. 3.4
peterroots
Volunteer

Re: Fedora 17 Desktop Edition + libXext.so.6: cannot open

Post by peterroots »

Well, if you like Gnome, then the desktop edition is fine, can't see any problem there. I am using Fedora 17 but the KDE spin version but that is just a personal preference, there is nothing wrong with the Desktop Edition.
SpeciesK

Post by SpeciesK »

I have tried installing LibreOffice using these instructions here. http://ask.libreoffice.org/question/500 ... fedora-17/
It doesn't seem to work either... I am baffled. I followed the procedure that was stated on the link given in this post. It all went well,still no love when I click on icons for programs.
OPENOFFICE ver. 3.4
peterroots
Volunteer

Post by peterroots »

No, don't try the LO download for now, that is just complicating things. Try the version in the Fedora repositories. I am not sure what the package management software is on the Gnome version of Fedora as I have never used it. Just did a search, seems it is PackageKit and should be on your Add/remove software menu
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_management_system
or you could do it with yum on the command line using
sudo yum install libreoffice
Robert Tucker
Volunteer

Post by Robert Tucker »

Try:

# yum install libXext.i686

You probably need the 32 bit version.
LibreOffice 7.x.x on Arch and Fedora.
acknak

Post by acknak »

SpeciesK wrote:... I chose Apache OpenOffice due to using it when I had Windows 7. I like Apache OpenOffice, was that a bad decision?
Not a "bad" decision, just not as simple as using the Fedora packages.

If you go to the desktop software tool--I don't know where it will be exactly but it should have an icon labels something like "add/remove software"--you should be able to find the OOo (or LibreOffice) packages available for installation.
I tried the command you suggested I try. This was the result.

Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Package libXext-1.3.1-1.fc17.x86_64 already installed and latest version
Nothing to do
Sorry, I can only guess what the problem is there: maybe the installed 64-bit library is not compatible with the 32-bit AOO?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
SpeciesK

Post by SpeciesK »

I tried all suggestions and none worked. I think it was because I have tried so many things that it was all jumbled up in my OS. So i reinstalled Fedora 17 and used the "sudo yum install libreoffice" command and it worked good. I should find some kind of local Linux class so I can be more proficient with Linux troubleshooting. Thanks for the help, LibreOffice up and running.
OPENOFFICE ver. 3.4
peterroots
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Fedora 17: libXext.so.6: cannot open shared obj

Post by peterroots »

the Fedora forum is a good place to start - looking at some of the issues people have often helps and you can ask your own questions too.