APA Formatter for Writer

Discuss the word processor
godssoldier777

APA Formatter for Writer

Post by godssoldier777 »

I have just recently switched over to Open Office. I attend UOP online and they use a program called riverpoint writer. This does all of the necessary APA formatting especially the references. I was wondering if there was a program that is compatible with Open office that will do the same thing that Riverpoint did?

I tried using riverppoint with open office but it did not work even after I enabled the macros.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: APA Formatter for Writer

Post by thomasjk »

Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
godssoldier777

error message

Post by godssoldier777 »

thomasjk wrote:There is a template available http://templates.services.openoffice.or ... a%20format
this is the error message i recieved

We were able to connect to the MySQL database server (which means your username and password are okay) but not able to select the database.

The MySQL error was: User oooaddins already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections.

Currently, the database is oootemplates_drupal. The username is oooaddins and the database server is db5.osuosl.org.

Are you sure you have the correct database name?
Are you sure the database exists?
Are you sure the username has permission to access the database?
For more help, see the Installation and upgrading handbook. If you are unsure what these terms mean you should probably contact your hosting provider.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
RoryOF

Re: error message

Post by RoryOF »

godssoldier777 wrote:
thomasjk wrote:There is a template available http://templates.services.openoffice.or ... a%20format
this is the error message i recieved
<snip>
Site is probably down. Try again.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

godssoldier777 wrote:I have just recently switched over to Open Office. I attend UOP online and they use a program called riverpoint writer. This does all of the necessary APA formatting especially the references. I was wondering if there was a program that is compatible with Open office that will do the same thing that Riverpoint did?

I tried using riverppoint with open office but it did not work even after I enabled the macros.
It's fairly easy to make your own APA template, assuming you have a copy of the APA manual,usually available in the reference section of your local university library or in their bookstore, at least , here in Canada.

Attached is an example of one that I created for my own use three or four years go. I cannot remember if it was completely APA compliant or not as it was not really intended for submitting a paper for publication, just to allow me to write fairly easily in my preferred format and to help me learn a bit more about OOo styles. As the file title suggests, it's in APA 5 format. I don't know if APA 6 has made any significant changes in basic layout See http://www.apastyle.org/ for some information on what's new in 6.

Alternatively the document processor LyX has an up-to-date APA style and interfaces quite nicely with Zotero. It produces very professional-looking output. I have tended to use it to turn colleges' excrably formatted Word working documents into readable items.

For the references question if you are using Firefox the best idea is to install
Zotero and use it as your reference management software. In fact even if Firefox is not your favourite brower it's worth installing it just to have Zotero.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, Zotero does not download journal references but I've found that it is fairly easy to get most of the journal article references using a bibtex reference manager, I use Jabref, and just import those references into Zotero.
Attachments
APA_5_Template.ott
(12.64 KiB) Downloaded 839 times
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
kat R

Post by kat R »

If you really need help with APA format you can always look online here

Code: Select all

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/
Last edited by RoryOF on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Changed icon as the flame icon is used for links to bug reports. Rendered url inactive.
I use Open Office 3.4.1 on Windows 7 ultimate