[Solved] Unable to open OpenOffice documents

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
tlz26zob

[Solved] Unable to open OpenOffice documents

Post by tlz26zob »

I recently uninstalled OpenOffice and installed OpenOffice 3.4.1. I now cannot open any OpenOffice documents. When I
first began using OpenOffice, I just had to click the icon and the document would open up. Then later on, I clicked an
OpenOffice icon and a box (I believe Win32)popped up and I needed to scroll down to select OpenOffice.org and then my
document opened up. After my UN-installation and new installation, the popup box did not include the OpenOffice option.
I was able to add the OpenOffice 3.4.1 option to the list in the box, but I am still unable to open any documents, either new
or old. The only time I use the Win32 box is to open Open Office documents, so maybe deleting he box would be an option,
but I do not know how to do this, or the consequences it may cause. I apologize for my lack of knowledge and excessive
wording. I hope you can help me. Thank you.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Open Office 3.4 on Windows XP
RoryOF

Re: unable to open Open Office documents

Post by RoryOF »

Have you restarted your Windows installation since reinstalling OpenOffice? It is worth doing that and then seeing if OpenOffice is offered as an option in the popup box as you described.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

If you use File-->Open does that work? It sounds like your file associations may be broken. See http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... 74&t=12918
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
tlz26zob

Post by tlz26zob »

I did a restart and it did not help. I tried file > open but got the same rejection I have been receiving which ends with 'document is not a valid Win32 application'. I read the tutorial and it refers to Microsoft Word. The only other office suite I have used is Microsoft Works. 99.9% of my documents were originated using OpenOffice. Because of this, I did not select the
link in the tutorial without first conferring back with you. Thank you.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Your previous installation may not have been completely removed. Use Revo Uninstaller to remove all traces of the software and try installing 3.4.1 again.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
peterroots
Volunteer

Post by peterroots »

I read the tutorial and it refers to Microsoft Word
yes it does as that was the problem it set out to answer. Your problem sounds the same except that you have lost the association for OpenOffice documents not MSOffice document. Wherever the tutorial talks about MSOffice substitute OpenOffice
LibreOffice 4.0.3 OpenSUSE 12.3 : OpenOffice 4 Linux Mint 15
tlz26zob

Post by tlz26zob »

I ran the OOo Association Utility and it did not fix my problem. Do I need to uninstall OOo 3.4.1 before running the Revo
uninstaller.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

When used at its most aggressive settings Revo will uninstall all traces of OpenOffice, so no need to uninstall before.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
tlz26zob

Post by tlz26zob »

I attempted to run Revo. After it started, t he OOo wizard popped up to remove OOo. I didn't know what to do so I let the OOo
wizard remove OOo then exited it. This left Revo in phase two (Ithink) where it remained for a long time. I canceled Revo
with the idea of starting over. Now OO0 341 is not shown on Revo list or the 'add or remove' screen, but the icons are still on
my desktop, and I can still open OOo 341.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

See if you can uninstall OOo using the Windows Control Panel. Then run CCleaner to clean the registry.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
tlz26zob

Post by tlz26zob »

I was unable to locate OOo on the Windows Control Panel. I did run the CCleaner, and did a restart
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Unable to open OpenOffice documents

Post by thomasjk »

It was not in ADD/Remove Programs then? If not do a re-install and then use Revo to remove it.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
tlz26zob

Post by tlz26zob »

I did a re-install. Before the re-install, I had an OOo 341 Icon and an OOo 341 folder containing license agreements on my desktop. After the re-install, I had an additional OOo Icon. I then ran Revo, CCleaner, and did a re-start. Now the only
item on my desktop is the OOo folder, which I can still open. I still have OOo 341 in the download file in my docs.
Should I use this to re-install, or should I download from the OOo website? Thank you.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

I'd recommend a fresh download. I can't tell from your description what you have.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
tlz26zob

Post by tlz26zob »

I did a fresh download and re-install. I still cannot open the docs in My Documents that require me to use the pop-up box.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Can you post a screen shot of the pop-up box?
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Can you post a document that you can't open? See http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... =74&t=8289 for details.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
tlz26zob

Post by tlz26zob »

Bill:
So far I have been unable to create a screen shot. I tried to right click on the pop-up box to see if I could copy it but the list including the copy option did not open up. I then took pic with digital camera and copied it but I am unable to paste it here. I was able to paste to OOo Writ er.

Below is the rejection notice I receive from the pop-up box when I try to open a document:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Test Writer is not a valid Win32 application.
tlz26zob

Post by tlz26zob »

thomasjk:
I sorry but I do not understand instrns for posting a document.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

You may have saved the file without a file name extension. Without a file name extension, Windows doesn't know what to use to open the file when you double-click the file in Windows Explorer. Start Wirter and try to open the file using File > Open. If the file opens, select File > Save As. On the Save As dialog, check the Automatic file name extension box and Save the file. Close AOO and try opening the new file by double-clicking in Windows Explorer. If it opens, you can delete the original file that doesn't have a file name extension.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Some topics in this query too.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
tlz26zob

Post by tlz26zob »

Bill: I was able to open files from My Documents, and a thumb-drive by using File>Open. By using instrns from your sentence
beginning 'If the file opens,' I was able to create a new file that I was able to open. This new file had an OOo Icon instead
of a Win32 Icon, so I was able to open the file directly by just selecting the Icon, therefore the Win32 pop-up box did not
appear. I would like to replace all Win32 Icons with OOo Icons. Is there anyway to do this without having to do one file at a
time? Thank you.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If you know which files need to have the extension added, you can use a bulk file renamer. ReNamer is easy to use, and there are many others I haven't tried:

File Renaming Freeware
tlz26zob

Re: [Solved] Unable to open OpenOffice documents

Post by tlz26zob »

Bill:
Is there a way I can remove the Win32 feature. In the past I have opened older OOo files with an OOo Icon, then when I exited
the file it had acquired a Win32 Icon.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

There is no Win32 feature. As Bill explained the files have no extension and therefore have the generic Windows icon rather than the OOo icons. As Bill suggested you have to make sure that "Automatic File name extension" is checked in the Save dialog. If you have lots of files try the link he posted.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

tlz26zob wrote:Bill:
Is there a way I can remove the Win32 feature. In the past I have opened older OOo files with an OOo Icon, then when I exited
the file it had acquired a Win32 Icon.
Just as the file name extension tells Windows what program to use to open the file, the file name extension also tells Windows what icon to use. With no file name extension, Windows will use the Win32 icon. Fix the file name extensions and Windows should use the OOo icon.
tlz26zob

Post by tlz26zob »

Thank you to thomasjk, Bill and others for helping me solve my problem and also for your patience. I sincerely appreciate it.