OpenOffice.org 3.4 fails to start after URE update

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
bluezeak

OpenOffice.org 3.4 fails to start after URE update

Post by bluezeak »

This is more or less a follow-up thread to this thread:
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... 16&t=10766

I recently setup my linux laptop. I installed OOo 3.4 via download and command line install of rpms. Everything was fine. Then openoffice failed to launch. I found the thread listed above, and thought I had my answer. But it still fails, and when I try to run soffice.bin from the command line I got this error (plus several others for other versions or other files in same path):
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin: /opt/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/program/../ure-link/lib/libuno_cppuhelpergcc3.so.3: version `UDK_3.6' not found (required by /opt/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/program/libfwi.so)

I did a ton of stuff, finally uninstalling and reinstalling got me working.

This morning Linux did an update. I notided it was updating the openoffice URE files.
Old version: I didn't make not of it, but I believe it was: openoffice.org-ure-3.4.1-9593 (x86_x64)
New version: openoffice.org-ure-1:3.2.1-10.6.el6_2.7 (x86_64)

I backed up the ure directory after I reinstalled. So, after it broke I removed the ure link, then copied the ure directory back to where it was supposed to be. Now I get this message:
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libuno_sal.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Help! Do I need to constantly uninstall and reinstall? I'll need to turn updates for openoffice off somehow...
Last edited by RoryOF on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo in Subject to aid better searching.
OpenOffice 3.4 on Linux (Open Client Red Hat x64)
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows 7
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice.org 3.4 fails to start after URE update

Post by kingfisher »

I would switch off the update tool.

If you cannot launch the software you have to do one of the following:
1. Install a desktop integration rpm (there may still be one for Red Hat / Fedora, otherwise there is one labelled open desktop or something like that);
2. Create symlinks of the executable files to /usr/bin/ and add entries to your applications menu;
3. Include the folder containing the executables in PATH.

I suggest completely removing one version before installing another. I gather that the 3.3 user profile folder should NOT be used for the Apache versions.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
acknak

Post by acknak »

The problems I've run into have all come from having both the distro packages (of OOo or LibO) and OOo rpms installed together on the same system.

The simplest solution is to install only one--either one--and before you do that, remove every trace of both before you install the one you want to use.

I generally recommend using the distro's packages because the install is simpler and has better support and integration, and the distros automatic updates make it easier to keep up with any important fixes.

If you really need both for some reason, then the simplest approach is to install OOo using a separate rpm database so that the OOo packages don't interact with the distro's packages.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
bluezeak

Post by bluezeak »

I don't have LibO installed, though my laptop did come with Symphony installed.

The icons for openoffice did dissappear - but that's not the main problem. I have the desktop integration RPM and can reinstall it.
I never had version 3.3 installed. When I reinstalled I didn't mess with my openoffice.org profile, that was fine.

I can't launch OOo from the command line either. The problem is that the URE update broke OpenOffice. There used to be a folder called URE in /opt/openoffice.org/basis3.4 which contained libraries and other files in subfolders. After the update, the ure folder is gone. When I update the link file to point to /usr/lib64/openoffice.org/ure I get the errors I listed in my original post. When I copy the ure folder back, I get the error listed in my original post.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

I didn't realise that Red Hat provides AOO. I would try getting an answer from Red Hat. Failing that, download the official installer from Apache (latest version 3.4.1).

In 3.3 the executables are scalc, swriter and so on; I initially linked them to /usr/bin and subsequently dared to run desktop integration. What happens when you try to run an executable from the command line?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

@kingfisher: Some of the distros alias OpenOffice to LibreOffice, so it would be good to be certain the installed version had not suffered such a hidden substitution.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
bluezeak

Post by bluezeak »

@kingfisher:
From my original post:
"I recently setup my linux laptop. I installed OOo 3.4 via download and command line install of rpms."
More specifically, I downloaded the install files from the OpenOffice website, and downloaded them. I did not install it vi Red Hat. I have 3.4.1 installed.

From my original post:
"...Now I get this message [when launching from the command line]:
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libuno_sal.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Like I said, it looks to me like the issue is with the upgrade of URE. After upgrading URE the ure directory dissappears. This breaks the link (as mentioned in the previous thread,
http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... 16&t=10766
When I recreate the link as mentioned in that thread I get errors. When I copy the ure directroy back, I get other errors. If I remove URE (and hence uninstall OOo as all of OOo depends on it), then reinstall, it works.
bluezeak

Post by bluezeak »

I don't see my reply in the thread ... but when I click 'reply' I see it in the thread history.. weird... I'll repost it here and if this ends up being a double post this duplicate can be deleted...

@kingfisher:
From my original post:
"I recently setup my linux laptop. I installed OOo 3.4 via download and command line install of rpms."
More specifically, I downloaded the install files from the OpenOffice website, and downloaded them. I did not install it vi Red Hat. I have 3.4.1 installed.

From my original post:
"...Now I get this message [when launching from the command line]:
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libuno_sal.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Like I said, it looks to me like the issue is with the upgrade of URE. After upgrading URE the ure directory dissappears. This breaks the link (as mentioned in the previous thread,
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10766
When I recreate the link as mentioned in that thread I get errors. When I copy the ure directroy back, I get other errors. If I remove URE (and hence uninstall OOo as all of OOo depends on it), then reinstall, it works.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

That is weird. I can see both posts. FWIW, because my distro supports LibreOffice only, I completely remove an existing version of OO/LO (using Synaptic) before installing another version using rpm. To upgrade you can use 'rpm -Uvh' instead of 'rpm -ivh' but I prefer to start with a clean slate.
Last edited by kingfisher on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomTinsley

Post by TomTinsley »

Yesterday after an update from the OS Software Update... openoffice.org-ure-1:3.2.1-19-6.el6_2.7 (x86_64) was installed and broke OpenOffice 3.4.1.

I removed all openoffice.org entries in the 'yum list', trying to start from clean. I then installed openoffice 3.4.1 with the Linux 64 RPM. Everything works great. When I look at "Software Update" from the OS I see it wants to update my "UNO Runtime Environment". I installed "openoffice.org-ure-3.4.1-9593.x86_64.rpm" from the rpm package. The OS wants to install version openoffice.org-ure-1:3.2.1-19-6.el6_2.7 (x86_64).

Is there a way around this? Or is an update from Apache OpenOffice needed to fix it?
OpenOffice 3.4.1 / RHEL 6.3
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Since you 'updated' from the OS repository, the issue is related to your OS. I am not aware of any Apache updates to AOO 3.4.1. Your OS may be using LibreOffice and calling it OpenOffice.

EDIT: LibreOffice coding at Red Hat
At Red Hat we are involved with a lot of cool open source projects. One of these is the popular LibreOffice productivity Suite, where we are putting in a lot of effort to make sure Red Hat customers and the community in general have a dependable and feature rich Office Suite available.
TomTinsley

Post by TomTinsley »

interesting, I can see from the repository openoffice.org-impress-core-1:3.2.1-19.6.el6_2.7 (x86_64) as an example. If I search for libreoffice sin nada. So I imagine there is an issue elsewhere.

let me be clear... I removed all openoffice and reinstalled from the rpm found at this site. So far so good, love it, kudos. However when I do the OS update the older version URE is there as an update. Maybe this is an OS thing as it does not recognize the version installed from the rpm is levels ahead.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

The OS updates would be designed to update its build of the software, not the Apache build. Evidently some distros use 'openoffice' as an alias for 'libreoffice'; see the post dated Fri 12.10.12 4:04 pm above by RoryOF.
TomTinsley

Post by TomTinsley »

Ok, so what are some solutions to resolve this? How can I set yum to ignore this update? Or how do I point to a repository for RHEL6 to use the Apache Open Office, I do prefer this version over the others I have seen.

This helped me:
http://www.marques.so/2012/05/apache-op ... -with-yum/
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Perhaps you should begin another thread with 'Yum' in the thread title. My distro uses Synaptic which allows you to choose which updates you install and names LibreOffice as such. It is also possible with apt (Synaptic is the gui for apt) to 'pin' a version; perhaps you can do something similar with Yum.