Language for OpenOffice

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
Mort3770

Language for OpenOffice

Post by Mort3770 »

I've searched for a fix for my problem, but I'm not that versed in either OpenOffice nor Linux.

My problem is when I start an OpenOffice program, everything is in a foreign language. I don't remember changing it because I don't even know how to do that. What can I do to make English the default language?

Open Office 3.2
Ubuntu Linux
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
FJCC

Re: Language for OpenOffice

Post by FJCC »

Go to the menu Tools -> Options. Tools is third menu option from the right and Options is next to last in the list. On the left of the dialog that will appear is a series of expandable lists with + signs next to the labels. The third + sign down is for Language Settings. Expand that list and choose Languages, which is the first item. On the right there will now be drop down lists. Starting from the top they are for setting the User Interface, the Locale Setting, the Default Currency and the Default Language for Documents. Set at least the first, second and fourth to English then click OK. (Since I don't know what language your interface is in now, I don't know what word will appear for "English". You may have to tell us what your main menu items are called so the language can be determined.) Shut down OpenOffice and then restart it. Everything should now be in English.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.