Broken .odt file from OO.o on Ubuntu Linux

Discuss the word processor
Sioris

Broken .odt file from OO.o on Ubuntu Linux

Post by Sioris »

Hi guys, i've real problem with broken .odt file.

The story is probably like many anothers - I was working on my computer, still saving using ctrl+s, the elektricity got down and the computer got down too. I tried to restore the document (working on Ubuntu), but I get only the "Ascii filter options" window and after some 255 pages long document, which starts with many hashes and with some broken parts of xml code. I tried to unzip the file, but content.xml seem like broken, too. Is anybody able to help? I need to restore the holy text only... The broken file is on http://jirikunc.cz/DATA/bad.odt

Is there any possibility to find any old file copy in Ubuntu filesystem? Or to find the text in this file? I tried forum search, but without results. Thank you for your ideas ...
OpenOffice 3.1 on Ubuntu Linux
acknak

Re: Broken .odt file from OO.o on Ubuntu Linux

Post by acknak »

Sorry, it's badly damaged. I don't see any recoverable content in there.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sadly, quite nothing to do, see: 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.

Check the temporary folder of the system (see in OOo Tools>Options>OOo>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers.

I think there are less reports about such problems, upgrading to AOO 3.4.1 may help.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
nomnex

Post by nomnex »

Not this time, but maybe for next power outage:

Options > Load/Save > Save > Always create a backup copy

Saves the previous version of a document as a backup copy whenever you save a document. Every time LibreOffice creates a backup copy, the previous backup copy is replaced. The backup copy gets the extension .BAK.