[Solved] "Get OpenOffice" logo on the forums

The place for discussions and decisions about the forum
RGB

[Solved] "Get OpenOffice" logo on the forums

Post by RGB »

Bottom right on each page for each forum we have this logo

I think it should be replaced by this one

(rescaled, of course ;) )

On a side note, the page description for the EN forum (the text that shows on the browser's window bar) still read "OpenOffice.org Community Forum".
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Re: "Get OpenOffice" logo on the forums

Post by Hagar Delest »

Since the feather is already at left, I would remove it from the logo here.

We could add the download icon:
From http://www.openoffice.org/ui/VisualDesign/OOo3_refresh.html
From http://www.openoffice.org/ui/VisualDesign/OOo3_refresh.html
OOo_Download_48x48.png (6.67 KiB) Viewed 18110 times
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RGB

Post by RGB »

Hagar Delest wrote:Since the feather is already at left, I would remove it from the logo here.We could add the download icon
I like it! No text, no need for translation...
+1
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

acknak

Post by acknak »

I like Hagar's no-translation-needed icon idea. But ...

How important is it for us to include a download link? Do people come here to get OOo? I don't see how that would be very likely.

I honestly never even noticed that that was a download link, even after RGB brought it up the other day--I couldn't find what he was referring to! I never noticed the text, and I assumed that the birds-logo was just a link back to the project page. So, at least, a download link could be more self-explanatory than the current one.

When forum users complain about a bogus download site, we usually give them a link to the main site, and I don't remember anyone suggesting that they use the download link on the forum page.

Do we have a link to the main project page? Would that be a better choice here?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

acknak wrote:I like Hagar's no-translation-needed icon idea. But ...

How important is it for us to include a download link? Do people come here to get OOo? I don't see how that would be very likely.
In view of the number of bogus downloads we see, the more "good" download links the better, even if they only refer to the download on the main page (that should make them "maintenance free", which is a Good Thing [refer: Sellar and Yateman, "1066 and All That"]
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Just to be clear: I have no problem at all with us having a download link.

If it is there, it should be more evident, both to its presence and its purpose, and less maintenance is always better. Re-using the download graphic would seem to do all that. There are already translations of "Get OOo" in place, so there's no need for text in the graphic.
 Edit: PS: 
Hmm, I guess that text has to change, no matter what we do, since "OpenOffice.org" is no longer correct.

Do we have to say "Apache Open Office" or can we just make it "Get OpenOffice"?
 Edit: PPS: 
While we're making the change, why don't we eliminate the text altogether and just use the icon? The feather on the left is already text-less, and the "get AOO" icon is pretty self-explanatory. Clicking "blind" shouldn't be a problem, either--it's not starting a download or anything bad.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

acknak wrote:When forum users complain about a bogus download site, we usually give them a link to the main site, and I don't remember anyone suggesting that they use the download link on the forum page.
Personally, I always tell them to use the button bottom of the page!
I also use it myself sometimes.

The mere icon is not enough IMHO, would be quite small and could get unnoticed. At least having "Apache OpenOffice" would be clearer. And no translation needed then.
Why not replace the birds of the banner logo proposal and remove the "community forum" text?

Something like that:
AOO download.png
AOO download.png (8.41 KiB) Viewed 18078 times
RGB

Post by RGB »

+1 for Hagar proposal.

floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I quite like Hagar's proposal, but will everybody understand the meaning of the green arrow? On the LibreOffice website a green up arrow is used as a navigation tool, so the down arrow might be misread for something else.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
acknak

Post by acknak »

Hagar Delest wrote:... Personally, I always tell them to use the button bottom of the page!
I also use it myself sometimes. ...
Ok, ok. I stand corrected. I'll just be quiet now ... ;-)
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

I tend to the view that the Apache feather should be in the logo. I would place it behind the text.

I would also lose the green arrow and put a link to the download page below the logo, not in it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

floris v wrote:will everybody understand the meaning of the green arrow?
We should keep the small text above the logo (for the moment "Get OpenOffice.org").
It requires less work than customizing different NL logos.
kingfisher wrote:I would also lose the green arrow and put a link to the download page below the logo, not in it.
The green arrow downward is often used in the sites where you can download freewares and sharewares IIRC. Users are used to click those big buttons, it would be strange to have to click a small hyperlink and have a big button that is not interactive.
RGB

Post by RGB »

So the agreed decision is... ??

(notice: this question is valid for the other thread too...)

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

My proposal:
- Keep the "Get Apache OpenOffice" small text
- Change the logo to the one I've proposed
-> Right now

Continue the discussion if there are comments. But we need to change the OOo branding ASAP.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

There are 2 threads on the dev mailing list but rather difficult to follow. I've asked about this proposal, let's see what happens: http://markmail.org/message/nse7f7lxdai ... or.ooo-dev
I fear it will take a long time until we get a clear situation.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Seems that my proposal is fine (see replies to my ML post). Is it ok to replace the OOo logo and modify the text?
I'm clearly against the feather in the logo. It's not a requirement and many other ASF products don't have that feather.

Down arrow seems rather standard for the download action (also used in the download buttons of LibO BTW).

If no big objection within few days, I'll PM this topic to imacat for implementation.
RGB

Post by RGB »

Hagar Delest wrote:Seems that my proposal is fine (see replies to my ML post). Is it ok to replace the OOo logo and modify the text?
I'm clearly against the feather in the logo. It's not a requirement and many other ASF products don't have that feather.

Down arrow seems rather standard for the download action (also used in the download buttons of LibO BTW).

If no big objection within few days, I'll PM this topic to imacat for implementation.
+1 !!!

imacat
Site Admin

Post by imacat »

Sorry to keep you waiting for so long. This is updated. ^^;
Please tell me of there is still any question.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Many thanks!

I just noticed that some forums have the OpenOffice.org name, perhaps it should be changed to Apache OpenOffice or just OpenOffice (as here on the EN forum).
RGB

Post by RGB »

Hagar Delest wrote:Many thanks!
+1!!
Hagar Delest wrote:I just noticed that some forums have the OpenOffice.org name, perhaps it should be changed to Apache OpenOffice or just OpenOffice (as here on the EN forum).
The ES forum is one of those: instead of "Obtenga OpnOffice.org" it should say "Obtenga Apache OpenOffice".

Also, I noticed that the buttons on all forums point to http://download.openoffice.org/index.html instead of http://www.openoffice.org/download/ and, at least on my system, the fist address is not working at all.

BTW, if it is not too trouble, the ES site have a dedicated download page on Spanish: http://www.openoffice.org/es/descargar/ ;)

Regards

floris v
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] "Get OpenOffice" logo on the forums

Post by floris v »

Good one! The download link doesn't work for the Dutch forum either. And "Haal OpenOffice.org op" could read just as well just "Download" - because I feel that mentioning Apache OpenOffice twice is rather redundant.
Nederlandstalig forum
imacat
Site Admin

Post by imacat »

Hmm...
  • The misalign between "Get OpenOffice" and "Get OpenOffice.org" among languages is purely my mistake. The Chinese forum does not use a seperate term, so I thought that every forum is using the English text message. This is fixed. All "OpenOffice.org" are to "OpenOffice" (besides in the meta keywords for historical reason, where "OpenOffice" is added instead of replacing "OpenOffice.org").
    • RGB wrote:The ES forum is one of those: instead of "Obtenga OpnOffice.org" it should say "Obtenga Apache OpenOffice".
    • The download text on the Spanish (Español, ES) forum is updated as "Obtenga Apache OpenOffice" per request. Is this OK? Or should I align with others as "Obtenga OpenOffice"?
      floris v wrote:Good one! The download link doesn't work for the Dutch forum either. And "Haal OpenOffice.org op" could read just as well just "Download" - because I feel that mentioning Apache OpenOffice twice is rather redundant.
    • The download text on the Dutch (Nederlands, NL) forum is updated as "Download" instead of "Haal OpenOffice.org op". I'm not sure if this is OK.
  • All download links are updated, at least from http://download.openoffice.org/ to http://www.openoffice.org/download/. A few exceptions to be mentioned:
Please tell me if there is still any question on this.

(I'm investigating how to subscribe to the notifications of the forum. ^^; )
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

imacat wrote:The download text on the Dutch (Nederlands, NL) forum is updated as "Download" instead of "Haal OpenOffice.org op". I'm not sure if this is OK.
Excellent. :super:
Please note that .org in OpenOffice.org was added to the name to avoid confusion with a Dutch product of that name (but with a space). There's no confusion possible in the full name Apache OpenOffice, but abbreviating that to just OpenOffice would get you back to the original situation.
Nederlandstalig forum
RGB

Post by RGB »

imacat wrote:Hmm...
  • The misalign between "Get OpenOffice" and "Get OpenOffice.org" among languages is purely my mistake. The Chinese forum does not use a seperate term, so I thought that every forum is using the English text message. This is fixed. All "OpenOffice.org" are to "OpenOffice" (besides in the meta keywords for historical reason, where "OpenOffice" is added instead of replacing "OpenOffice.org").
    • RGB wrote:The ES forum is one of those: instead of "Obtenga OpnOffice.org" it should say "Obtenga Apache OpenOffice".
    • The download text on the Spanish (Español, ES) forum is updated as "Obtenga Apache OpenOffice" per request. Is this OK? Or should I align with others as "Obtenga OpenOffice"?
No preference on this: "Obtenga OpenOffice" is also perfect
imacat wrote:
Thanks!!!

Jan_J

Post by Jan_J »

Thanks, imacat.
imacat wrote:The download link on the Polish (Polski, PL) forum is updated from http://pl.openoffice.org/product.download.html to http://www.openoffice.org/download/, as the former URL is not updated after Apache OpenOffice 3.4.
No volunteer from Poland is currently involved in the AOOo project. Hence (1) it has no Polish l10n, and its usability for Polish-speaking users is rather limited; (2) pl.openoffice.org is not maintained by anyone.
Most people in Poland use the LibreOffice suite, and there are some volunteers. I have even recently added Get LibreOffice entry to our first contact forum. However, it might be not reasonable to point LO in official site link at bottom of the page.
We still consider that keeping PL forum at Apache site makes sense, according to extended formula present in the current banner of the forum.
JJ ∙ https://forum.openoffice.org/pl/
LO (7.6) ∙ Python (3.11|3.10) ∙ Unicode 15 ∙ LᴬTEX 2ε ∙ XML ∙ Unix tools ∙ Linux (Rocky|CentOS)
imacat
Site Admin

Post by imacat »

RGB wrote:No preference on this: "Obtenga OpenOffice" is also perfect
I see. Then I shall stick with "Obtenga OpenOffice".
Jan_J wrote:Thanks, imacat.
imacat wrote:The download link on the Polish (Polski, PL) forum is updated from http://pl.openoffice.org/product.download.html to http://www.openoffice.org/download/, as the former URL is not updated after Apache OpenOffice 3.4.
No volunteer from Poland is currently involved in the AOOo project. Hence (1) it has no Polish l10n, and its usability for Polish-speaking users is rather limited; (2) pl.openoffice.org is not maintained by anyone.
Most people in Poland use the LibreOffice suite, and there are some volunteers. I have even recently added Get LibreOffice entry to our first contact forum. However, it might be not reasonable to point LO in official site link at bottom of the page.
We still consider that keeping PL forum at Apache site makes sense, according to extended formula present in the current banner of the forum.
I see. We still hope that there will be more people using OpenOffice that can hold the community. Many thanks, though. ^_*'