[Solved] OpenOffice Help Versions

Not sure where to post? Post here!
anon_private

[Solved] OpenOffice Help Versions

Post by anon_private »

I have been reading some of the help sheets, but they were written for ver 3.2 or 3.3

I have ver3

Are the helpsheets likely to help someone using ver 3?

Are there major advantages upgrading to 3.3?

Thanks
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue May 26, 2020 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
LibreOffice ver 4.2.7.2
OS is: Kubuntu
MrProgrammer

Re: OO Versions

Post by MrProgrammer »

anon_private wrote:Are the helpsheets likely to help someone using ver 3?
Yes. Much of the documentation applies to any release, every very old versions like 1 or 2.
3.0 is getting pretty old also (2008) but the product usage hasn't changed all that much.
I am very happy with 3.2. It has proved to be stable and I have encountered very few problems using it daily for 2½ years.
anon_private wrote:Are there major advantages upgrading to 3.3?
There are some advantages, discussed in the release notes. You'd have to decide if they are "major" enough to justify making a change to your system. There are some disadvantages to 3.3 which were discussed in various forums, depending on which component you're using. Several of the forum topics mentioned difficulty with printing, especially with printing labels in 3.3. I do not know to what degree printing has been modified in 3.4[.n], which is the most current release. OOo 3.3, if you choose to go that route, is currently available (18Sep2012) as the "legacy" version.

In very general terms, it is often best to install the latest release, on the premise that each release normally fixes more problems than it introduces, however the only case you really care about is your own, and the best version for you will depend on which components and features of OOo you use. in some environments (I can't speak for Vista) one can install and use multiple releases of OOo on the same computer. Then you can "ease into" a new release while keeping the old one available. I will certainly do that when I upgrade my Mac OS X system from 3.2 to something else.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
PGAGA
Volunteer

Re: OO Versions

Post by PGAGA »

September 18, 2012

There is a major security issue with OOo before version 3.4. A patch does exit for version 3.3, but not for earlier versions.

The main issue with upgrading has to do with extensions and migrating. Not all extensions work with every version of OOo. If one intends to do a migration install then at the very least turn all the extensions off before migrating.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
anon_private

Re: OpenOffice Versions

Post by anon_private »

Thanks to all for the advice.

Can you say a little more regarding the security issues surrounding ver 3?

I use OO ver 3 from a USB stick. I believe that it is a portable version. Does this affect the advice given?

Best wishes.

A
LibreOffice ver 4.2.7.2
OS is: Kubuntu
Hagar Delest

Re: OpenOffice Versions

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10