[Solved] Print fails, RTE on close, tried many versions

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
Mainframeguy

[Solved] Print fails, RTE on close, tried many versions

Post by Mainframeguy »

Despite reading the many threads and following their guidance regarding JAVA RTE and LibreOffice I have been unable to configure my daughter's Windows 7 laptop for her to print homework. She does have a desktop from which to print using an old OpenOffice/Ubuntu release, but I need to get the Windows version working.

When first trying LibreOffice asked for the Java RTE and I naively simply installed the latest - of course the laptop is 64 but and so I now learned this was doomed. I retried with a 32 bit JRE, per numerous advices, still failed.

I have now spent many hours trying many permutations and multiple uninstall / reinstalls of both LibreOffice and Java all without success. I have also found threads suggesting adding to the system PATH and copying a C binary, but even these desperate measures have failed. Behaviour consistently fails to print and also, on closure of LO, gives a RTE.

I have deleted the appdata roaming 3 folder many times also, to no avail.

I do not care what version, do not even care if I use the Java RTE (but it does seem to be a pre-req for printing). I simply need to print and basic Writer functionality.

Any and all advices welcome - happy to follow long diagnostic trails or anything else, short of a Windows reinstall. I am aware this is likely a consequence of the JAVA install/upgrade process and tried a Java removal tool. I am at the point of thinking to try regedits to remove all traces of Java, but that seems desperate measures and I doubt it would succeed somehow (plus might have risks attached).
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
LibreOffice 3.5 on Windows 7 / OpenOffice 3.1 on Ubuntu 9.04
RoryOF

Re: Print fails, then RTE on close, tried many versions

Post by RoryOF »

i am not aware that Java is necessary for printing from OpenOffice/LibreOffice. My experience is limited to OpenOffice; as you will have found in the various threads, at present OpenOffice is best with Java 1.6 (32 bit). This is flagged as "586" in the Java download links; after installation you have to select that version under OpenOffice /Tools/Options/Openoffice.org : Java. If you need to remove OpenOffice (and I include LibreOffice), use Revo Uinstaller at its most aggressive settings, and also remove the User Profile files by hand.

It sometimes helps to reinstall the printer drivers as a last step. Some time ago there were reported problems with OpenOffice printing to USB printers; a possible fix was to disable bidirectional on the USB port.
 Edit: I take it as a matter of course that the printer is working from other applications, such as Wordpad/Notepad? 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Why don't you try to install AOO?
You can also try to reset your OpenOffice user profile.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Mainframeguy

Post by Mainframeguy »

I have reset the user profile any number of times, for each combined version of Libre and JRE. I can print from any other application. When I tried to print without JRE it was prompted for. The initial print drivers were installed by someone else - shall try uninstalling them maybe, but should not need to.

Shall also try AOO maybe.

Be good for a definitive answer on whether JRE should be needed for printing from LibreOffice which seems unnecessary.
 Edit: BTW the last thing I tried was revo uninstall for both JRE/Libre and delete of user profile before reinstall per signature versions 
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

As a workaround, she can export to PDF and print that file.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Mainframeguy wrote:Be good for a definitive answer on whether JRE should be needed for printing from LibreOffice which seems unnecessary.
You will note from our signature lines that both Hagar and I are running Apache OpenOffice, which does not, as far as I know, require Java for printing, although I have Java installed as a matter of course anyway.
Mainframeguy

Post by Mainframeguy »

ACK! now I installed and tried AOO with exactly the same failure .... going to try disabling bidirectional... then uninstall all printers... last resort is supply my daughter with a sane laptop running ubuntu or mint or something for her homework... Windows is teh fail :( I am not happy with the workaround to .pdf since this should be extremely straightforward (obviously) But thanks - it has prompted me to install Adobe readerX for her ;)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This seems to indicate a problem on your your computer, a problem in the sense of some crosstalk between an installed program (perhaps a virus checker?) and OpenOffice of whatever flavour. Some backup utilities, which run a constant mirroring of the computer files (Comodo comes to mind) can cause crashes or peculiar side effects.

For trial purposes, have you access to an LPT or network printer? It would be useful to know if such a printer gave the same problem. My systems (Windows 2000/XP and Ubuntu) talk very sweetly to LPT, USB and Network printers from AOO and its earlier versions.
Mainframeguy

Post by Mainframeguy »

print from pdf also fails - weird - but print from a random picture is fine... further investigation needed, this is going to take time....
Mainframeguy

Post by Mainframeguy »

I have uninstalled all printer, disabled AV, checked for and disabled bidirectional, reinstalled printer with both HP universal and the driver Windows finds, reinstalled libre 3.6.1, all to no avail.
I have also run SFC scannow, which found some errors it could not fix, but the log was fairly unintelligible and maybe those problems were caused by running from admin command prompt with other things going on? Run MBAM and fixed the things it found, which seemed semi-benign ("funmoods" toolbars etc)

I am near my wits end after two or three sessions exceeding three hours and no results at all

Printing is fine from everything except and openoffice variant OR Adobe PDF. I cannot help concluding the problem is NOT with the printer per se but with something along the lines of postscript or some system font sort of issue where Adobe reader and Libre and Office are using something which is causing problems. The port in use is the DOT4 one, and whilst I could go to lengths to install other printers or use a wireless one elsewhere I have little doubt th eproblem is further up the line, else it would print elsewhere or print to the native OS file writer... Shall confirm that shortly, after all can think of nothing else to try at this time.
 Edit: Can confirm this has NOTHING to do with a specific printer, just installed an Epson Wireless (WSD) elsewhere and that has exactly the same symptoms.... Also downloaded a .pdf from known good source and that also does not print (so it is not restricted to pdf files created from Libre/OO) 
System restore points no longer go back far enough to be worth considering, I remain reluctant to wipe all apps and do a base Windows reinstall, since I am not at all sure it will resolve anything, but am unsure what else I CAN do?

Any ideas anyone? If a DEVELOPER OR SOMEONE excuse caps knew the facility being used causing the issues perhaps I could make headway?

There seem to be a lot of threads and issues for Windows 7 users in this arena, but no solutions!
Mainframeguy

Post by Mainframeguy »

Mainframeguy wrote:...
I have also run SFC scannow, which found some errors it could not fix,...
have an awful feeling this is the problem - shall confront my daughter with the (only?) option of backing up her data and restoring to factory settings later today.... unless anyone has any better ideas?
Mainframeguy

Post by Mainframeguy »

Just to close out this thread - last night completed reinstall (well, recovery rollback from hidden partition, same difference) and printing was working out of the box - I did install Java but believe it was not required by the install in order to print.

I smell malware....

So - got there in the end and thanks for folks helpful offers and advices.