OpenOffice crashes on startup

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
gohead8

OpenOffice crashes on startup

Post by gohead8 »

Open office 3.4 crashes on startup. It always wants to do a document recovery. Any ideas?? :(
Open Office 3.4 on windows 7
Greengiant224

Re: Open office crashes on startup

Post by Greengiant224 »

Have you done a search for AOO/LO crashes?

Have you re-set your user profile?

Win 7, Portable AOO 4.1.14, LibreOffice 6.2, 7.4.5 & 7.6.1 (Java 1.7.81 & 1.8.0_281) utilising HSQL 1.8.10 & 2.4.*, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
+ Blood, Sweat and Tears (Application, Determination and Perseverance)
Hagar Delest

Re: OpenOffice crashes on startup

Post by Hagar Delest »

See: how to reset your OpenOffice user profile.

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
gohead8

Post by gohead8 »

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have uninstalled, re-installed, changed my user profile, but it still crashes. The program is unusable. This is a new computer running Windows 7. My old computer running XP worked well with version 3.1. Any more ideas??
Open Office 3.4 on windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

What security application do you use? Comodo is known to get too aggressive on AOO.
Else, just go through the recovery process, I've faced this under XP and after 5 or 6 times, it stopped doing this.
Geoff_T

Post by Geoff_T »

Hi

I have the same problem and it never happened on any prior version... just the version 3.4

I am using a fairly recent 64bit HP OmniPC with 8GB RAM and running Windows 7

The program always starts with data recovery and that data, usually a word processor is so unstable it will crash if I print or attempt to scroll a 12 or so page document.

I can close the program and, even as I type this, a window will pop up saying it crashed and will recover, but that window is non-responding and needs task manager to close.

It's very frustrating... I have downloaded, re-installed until the cows come home but it still behaves this way...

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Open Office 3.4 running on 64bit HP PC with Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try to go through the recovery process even if it takes 5 to 6 times. I faced that also and once you go through, it seems to work fine.
Geoff_T

Post by Geoff_T »

I wish it was that simple.... every file seems to want recovery, even files I previously recovered. I have never had an issue with any prior Open Office version and would love a link (that did not come from a third party with advertising junk) so I could dump this 3.4 and download a super reliable earlier version...
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Geoff_T

Post by Geoff_T »

Hi, Well that seemed a good idea. I uninstalled 3.4 and installed the 3.2 in your link.

I am certain this program hates me because, if I open the basic screen icon or open a existing file, it says it will take me through the registration process, puts my name up, asks if I want to register (no field for already registered), tells me to click on finish and then the window closes and nothing happens. As I am a business user the inability to either open files or open and suffer crashes seems unduly worrying.

There's nothing on this computer should worry it... it's just since downloading 3.4 nothing works right.

Help!!!!
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Did you reset your user profile before uninstalling AOO 3.4 and installing OOo 3.2? Downgrading to an earlier version without resetting the user profile is almost guaranteed to cause problems.
Pongo

Post by Pongo »

I have a similar problem, but not quite the same one. I can open Swriter, but if I try to do pretty much anything beyond that (I started out trying to combine a couple of files) it freezes up. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and I've tried renaming the profile. No good.

I'm running version 3.4 on Windows 7, and until today it had been running like a top. The only change in my system is that I started using Chrome.
OOo 2.4.X on MS Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Once you go through some 5 or 6 crashes, does it still happen?
l.pastorello

Post by l.pastorello »

Hi,
I had the same problem (this is the 3rd installation i have this problem), this issue happens when openoffice tries to connect to Internet.
It's no matter about reinstall, clean profile or registers, the problem is about date: Openoffice looks at system date, then tries to connect on startup for searching updates and crashes.

this error occurred many times, also in older OpenOffice versions, I solved the problem in this way:

- go to Tools > Options > Openoffice.org > Online updates (something about update, i have OpenOffice in Italian, not sure about translation in EN)
- disable online updates

Another strange issue is about "Tools > Options > Openoffice.org > Internet > Proxy"
When you're under this bug (online updates), it automatically crashes when you click on this tab. (i disabled also proxy, not sure if this helps)
When i disabled automatic updates i noticed this fields in proxy tab filled with strange chars:

Although, after disabling internet updates, you can also
- check for internet updates manually
- reactivate updates safely

...until the day you will get the same bug, then you have to disable updates again :)
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

I don't know the Italian term but in 'Proxy' I have the selection 'System' which must be the default. With that setting the other boxes are blank.

The update tool has always been a source of trouble. I don't understand why it is retained. However, your setting is stored in your profile folder and should not be altered (I expect) when and if you update.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
l.pastorello

Post by l.pastorello »

"Nessuno" means "none" in italian, and if i select "System" strange chars remain the same.
...and openoffice just crashed 5min ago, when i tried to see in "Tools > Options > Openoffice.org > Internet > Proxy" which option was selected.

I tried to reproduce the error and i found a way:
- i deleted user profile folder (just to reset)
- every time i tried to go to "Tools > Options > Openoffice.org > Internet > Proxy" or "Tools > Options > Openoffice.org > Internet > Search" Openoffice crashed

so i found a workaround:
- select any another tab in the option
- press ok in that tab
- exit the program

When i reopened Openoffice i had no problems with proxy tab, but this time strange characters changed again, i think that is a problem about initialization of last opened tab in "Tool > Options".
No matter about my user profile, i had no personal settings on this installation, so actually i don't rely on it :)
Last edited by RoryOF on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected sundry typos for greater clarity [RoryOF, Moderator]
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

l.pastorello wrote:I tried to reproduce the error and i found a way:
- i deleted user profile folder (just to reset)
- every time i tried to go to "Tools > Options > Openoffice.org > Internet > Proxy" or "Tools > Options > Openoffice.org > Internet > Search" Openoffice crashed
No problem with that on XP with 3.4.1.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Could this be the Skype issue or related to the web browser?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
l.pastorello

Post by l.pastorello »

I don't know if this is a problem realted to skype or windows7. AVG Free and Skype are always running in background when i use OOo, but browsers aren't always running (i use IE, Firefox, Safari, Chrome and Opera because i need them all for my job).
The most important thing is to check if everyone that have this problem can resolve this issue disabling updates.

I'm an open office user since 2004-2005 and this isn't the first time i have this problem related to sudden continuos crash on startup, i used OOo also on linux but this problem happened only under windows xp, windows me and finally this year on windows7.
So i decided to open a forum account and post it.
Gary2012

Post by Gary2012 »

If you are attempting to use Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 on a Windows 7 operating system you may consider removing the suite and downloading a previous version, perhaps 3.3 or lower from http://www.openoffice.org/download/legacy/index.html When running for first time use the Windows Action Center to grant extended permissions to the soffice.exe file, test it, and keep it like that. You might also want to ensure the quickstarter is shut off as well as it may cause multiple instances of itself to run and conflict with itself or lock your files as "in use" by itself.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Win 7
e-Mule

Post by e-Mule »

Well, I rolled back to 3.3.x after 3.4.0 kept crashing (Windows 7). I installed 3.4.1 and am in the process of rolling back again for the same reason.

Strike 2. One more, and I move on.
OpenOffice 3.3
Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Had you reset your profile? Pretty necessary with 3.4.x it seems.
e-Mule

Post by e-Mule »

Unfortunately, I don’t really have time to spend on this. I’ve done beta testing before, and I wish I had time to spare to still do that. But at this point, I need applications to work when I launch them.

I’ll stick with 3.3 for the foreseeable future. If there comes a point where there is something I absolutely must have, I'll try again.
OpenOffice 3.3
Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit
Gary2012

Post by Gary2012 »

Well that's too bad. Apache Open Office has a lot of potential but not much support. As a last resort you can try downloading the Oct release of Libre Office. Before installing totally remove Apache OO, then the OO profile under AppsData Roaming, then run CCleaner on the registry to remove unused entries. Reboot then install LibreOffice. That sometimes works.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Win 7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Gary2012 wrote:Well that's too bad. Apache Open Office has a lot of potential but not much support. As a last resort you can try downloading the Oct release of Libre Office. Before installing totally remove Apache OO, then the OO profile under AppsData Roaming, then run CCleaner on the registry to remove unused entries. Reboot then install LibreOffice. That sometimes works.
I haven't had any luck with LO. I've had one crash of OOo/AOO since LO was first released, but every time I've installed LO it's crashed within 2 days of installation. I always completely remove old versions with Revo Uninstaller, reset the user profile and run CCleaner before installing new versions.
Jake5577

Post by Jake5577 »

I tried the workarounds to get 3.4.1 to stop crashing, such as creating a new user folder and disabling automatic updates. I uninstalled and reinstalled it several times. It was still crashing and locking up my computer. I went back to OpenOffice 3.3.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows XP Professional
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If AOO crashes on every startup, use Process Monitor to troubleshoot.
Bob Hadley

Post by Bob Hadley »

In addition to turning off the automatic updates I have followed some of the advice above and removed the weird characters from the Proxy fields in the Tools/Options/Internet boxes. When I went back into OO and asked to "Check for Updates" I did not get the Internet failure error again. I'm more convinced than ever that this problem has its roots in the Internet updates area.
c3k

Post by c3k »

I have the same problem

found this thread too: http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/vi ... 15&t=55017

libreoffice have too (patched now!): https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=47044
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7 64bit
paiming

Post by paiming »

I have followed the instruction to change user profile by : click Start and type %appdata% in the Search box. Click "Roaming" but cannot fine user name to change ??
OpenOffice3.3 on window 7