[Solved] Opening MS Works WDB files in OpenOffice

Discuss the database features
BlueWolf

[Solved] Opening MS Works WDB files in OpenOffice

Post by BlueWolf »

How do I use OpenOffice to open an MS Works for Windows Database file? I want to convert/copy the file for permanent use in OpenOffice, but I can't get it to open in OpenOffice at all.

If I try to access the files from start/computer/(directory) ... OO is not listed among the programs I can use to open the WDB file... and if I try to find the files from within OO, they are just not listed.

Can you help?
Last edited by BlueWolf on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
APACHE OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Opening MS Works WDB files in OpenOfice

Post by RoryOF »

Use www.zamzar.com to convert your files.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
BlueWolf

Post by BlueWolf »

RoryOF wrote:Use http://www.zamzar.com to convert your files.
Thanks... but it didn't work. It gave me a message ... 'Filetype conversion is not currently supported for "wdb" '

... is there anything else I can try?

I know there is a 'free trial' download for MS Works, which is legitimate... but I don't know where to get that from. I only need it long enough to convert these files.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Get an ODBC driver from Microsoft, configure an ODBC connection and connect a Base document to it.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
BlueWolf

Post by BlueWolf »

Villeroy wrote:Get an ODBC driver from Microsoft
How do I do that?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

BlueWolf wrote:
Villeroy wrote:Get an ODBC driver from Microsoft
How do I do that?
How can I know that?
Google indicates that ODBC for "Work" databases exists which lets me assume that there must be some way to get it. Ask Microsoft.

Or open the file in Works and export your data to some computer friendly file format. dBase would be the best choice, csv would be fine.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This might help
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =13&t=3150

but if it doesn't work I know nothing about it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
BlueWolf

Post by BlueWolf »

lol... Thank You! I'm not a very 'techie' person as you may have guessed. I eventually found a link (via Ask.co.uk) which automatically uninstalled my version of Works and then re-installed it. I can now access the files again.

Next step is to use your tutorials to try & figure out how to 'export' the data from Works, and get it set up in OOffice. Thank You for trying to help... and my apologies for not understanding the answers.
Arineckaig
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Opening MS Works WDB files in OpenOfice

Post by Arineckaig »

If (and only if) your source is a MS Works database, a tutorial and demo - for transfering the data from a Works database to OOo Base - can be downloaded from http://db.tt/zvzHylN0. The process does, however, require that you initially have a MS Works program to open the source database. I have found the process to be fairly reliable in avoidance of hidden errors (particularly in the case of large database files), but its detailed requirements are such that it is not suitable for the wholesale transfer of a significant number of Works .wdb files all at one time.
When this issue has been resolved, it would help other users of the forum if you add the word - [Solved] - to the Subject line of your 1st post (edit button top right).
AOOo 4.1.5 & LO 6 on MS Windows 10 MySQL and HSQLDB
Chris71Mach1

Re: [Solved] Opening MS Works WDB files in OpenOffice

Post by Chris71Mach1 »

I know this seems to have been solved, but I just found a much quicker, more efficient solution to this. Using Linux, I don't really like the option of depending on Windows based software as solutions. I did though find a Java applet hosted online that will convert a .wdb file created by Microsoft Works to a nice, convenient .csv or .xls file. Quick, easy, and free to use, it was just what I needed to pull the data out of the .wdb file that I ended up with. The link is:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/convert-m ... installed/
OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 on Debian Squeeze