[Solved] Unable to download 3.4

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
75FXE

[Solved] Unable to download 3.4

Post by 75FXE »

I have been an OO user since v2 and just lost my 3.3 due to a trojan necessitating reloading my Vista o/s. I saved my files, but cannot open them and attempts to download OO 3.4 (5 attempts from different sites) all end with a pop-up statement that a device is missing. Suggestions?
Last edited by 75FXE on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 3.4.1 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Unable to download 3.4

Post by RoryOF »

Downloading should not do any analysis of the file, so it would look as if your computer is still not 100% happy after the reinstall of Vista. I'm not at present on a Windows computer so am working from memory: go to Control Panel, System. I think that opens to display tabs. Click on Devices (Hardware) and a missing device will show up with a yellow exclamation mark on it. You need to find and install drivers for this device. But normally, when Windows starts up it will nag you for drivers for such devices; if it doesn't do so, the message may come from some rogue program.

Only download from http://www.openoffice.org or as redirected by its loadsharing. If that site appears to throw up the device missing error (which device?) before downloading the file, terminate the attempted download and sort out the "device missing" problem. It is possible that there is still a trojan or other malware on your computer giving such a message in an attempt to get you to download its patent malware. In addition to using an up to date virus scanner at its most aggressive, you may need to do a malware and adware scan. Good scanners for these are Malwarebytes and Adaware (from Lavasoft). Only download from their home sites (or as redirected by their loadsharing) http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and http://www.lavasoft.com/ to be certain you are getting clean latest versions. If the attempt to download either of these also gives a device missing error then the problem lies on your computer. If you have a computer knowledgeable friend do ask for assistance, as two heads are better than one.

Until this problem is sorted out, do not waste time installing your software of choice or customising your machine; you may yet have to reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows Vista. If you have not a certainly clean installation disk for that, you might consider migrating to one of the Linux distributions, but this is a paradigm shift; don't do it thinking it is a trivial change, it is most certainly not. You can run most Linux distributions from a "live CD" for test purposes, but such a change of operating system is not to be undertaken lightly.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
75FXE

Post by 75FXE »

Thank-you for the meaningful reply. I'm now on my 3rd o/s reinstall. MBAM, CCleaner, found no infection, but an AVAST scan found 4 corrupted files. Latest scans by all find no infection on C: or a remote hard drive to which I transferred my data files before o/s reload, but AVAST alerts every 25 seconds about one of 3 malware assaults when I activate IE or Chrome browser. I did attempt the 3.4.1 download from OO.org - I always go to the software's home site 1st for obvious reasons. I also attempted from referred distribution sites with the same result. I've been thinking about the Linux conversion for a while, just reticent due to limitations on applications, hardware drivers and other volume-driven hassles. One problem still manifesting itself may be related to your device instruction - clicking a link may get the blue screen of death - any link, my email host, CNET, local newspaper, off-line item. Tried to restore from portable hard drive backup, but Vista can't find the drive. Thanks for your thoughtful, well-written response...I'm off to my devices menu.
EDIT to add: All listings in device mgr are checked indicating presence. Was able to solve problem by activating 3.1.1 O O setup file which I had saved, so text and spreadsheets are functional. I've selected auto-update, so things should rectify themselves I expect.
75FXE

Post by 75FXE »

Solved: Vista corruption worsened top the point that boot was impossible - only a Catch 22 between two pages each leadiung only to the other. Solution: new machine on WIN 7 + LINUX ovewrrite on old machine.