[Solved] 3.4.1 Constantly crashes

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Bill5040

[Solved] 3.4.1 Constantly crashes

Post by Bill5040 »

I've had OO for at least 4 years and really love it. It's far better in concept than Microsoft's Office programs like Word and Excel. And it's free! Keep up the great work! Unfortunately, my OO program continually crashes about every 30 - 45 seconds. Yes, it Recovers the work I was on when it crashed, but these constant crashes are very annoying. I can hardly enter anything before it crashes again and again. Can you work on this problem for which I see numerous posts and solutions here. I've tried them all and nothing works to stop these crashes. I have Windows 7 Home Premium, plenty of RAM, and lots of disk space on my new HP Pavilion PC. I am positive that this crashing problem comes from my use of Windows 7 - it didn't occur as often when I used Windows XP. If you have a newer release/update, please send me an email - I will greatly appreciate it.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7 Home Premium
RoryOF

Re: 3.4.1 Constantly CRASHES!!!!!

Post by RoryOF »

Try /Tools /Options /OpenOffice.org /On;line Update and disable "Check for updates automatically". Then restart OpenOffice completely, including the Quickstarter - easiest way is to power down your computer after closing open programs then start up again.

Have you any virus checker or running backup system (such as Comodo) which touches open OpenOffice files?

Edit: also try deleting or reaming your User Profile - do it again if you have already done it
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 74&t=12426
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill5040

Re: 3.4.1 Constantly crashes

Post by Bill5040 »

I changed Auto Update to NO per your Instructions -
This may be the ANSWER!!! :super: :bravo:
@ 7:39 PM to 7:45, Exited, then Opened – CRASH
as of 7:56 PM, NO Crash! Over 10 minutes vs. earlier every 30 Seconds!!!

I even tried running FireFox – no CRASH!!!!
Made Entries, Saved, got NO CRASHES!!! Thanks for your EXCELLENT RECOMMENDATION!!!

I don't have Comodo, I use Norton. I didn't Delete my User Profile since changing the "Check for updates automatically" (I unchecked it - disabled it) per your EXCELLENT recommendation seems to Solve my Problem!!!!
Now that I no longer use your Auto Update feature, I use CNET.com to inform me of your available updates.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7 Home Premium
scroc

Post by scroc »

Solved: This Auto Update unchecked appears to have solved the "crash" problem i was having. Thanks RoryOF.
Aoo 3.4.1 on Windows Vista
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Note that OpenOffice does not update at short intervals. As AOO 3.4.1 has just released the next revision is likely to be some months away, probably (speculation) not before year end. Check in to the Forum from time to time - a new release is announced by a "sticky" global announcement on every sub-forum. I understand that on the latest AOO versions the Update crash problem may have been fixed.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Olgrumpy

Re: [Solved] 3.4.1 Constantly crashes

Post by Olgrumpy »

@RoryOF Many thanks for your information. I resolved my problem with constant crashes/recoveries, using your user info............ but probably not in the way you envisaged.........

It would appear that the current AOO V3.4.1 installation does not REGISTER PROGRAM USER DETAILS to the registry.

Using your information, I did a simple search on my PC and then double clicked on the AOO version of the file.......... Then followed the instructions from my PC Help dropdown...........

Seemples!
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows Vista
magix

Post by magix »

Dear all,

I had exactly the SAME problem in July 2018 with version 4.1.3 ! Precisely :

OpenOffice crashing every 20-35 seconds !!! Whatever I was doing (or not doing) whatever document was open !

And I confirm that by simply removing "Check for updates" in the preferences it was solved immediately !

Denis
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows Seven
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

magix wrote:I had exactly the SAME problem in July 2018 with version 4.1.3 !
That is very strange as the earlier posts relate v3.4.1 and you report the problem with v4.1.3.

AOO 4.1.3 is now obsolete - I suggest you upgrade to the current 4.1.5.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
magix

Post by magix »

Yes, this shows that the problem is still there, somewhere. I confirm I was using v4.1.3, it's not a typo.
I found useful to add the information here, as this post is the only one that comes in Google when searching for "OOO constantly crashes" or similar searches, hope it can be useful to others :-)
Yes I upgraded anyway to v4.1.5.
Denis
magix

Post by magix »

BTW, I just checked, the problem is still there with v4.1.5 !
I don't know if this may explain the problem, when manually checking for updates it says "Erreur de lecture des données depuis Internet. Erreur du serveur: ." which means "Error reading data from Internet. Server error: ."
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

That error message, no matter the language, shows that the problem is with the host server, over which we have no control.

As to Google reporting only this one thread, searching the forum for the term "constantly crashes" brought back this list of 52 (at the time I generated the list, your count may be different) hits
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Error reading data from Internet. Server error: .
This problem has been reported as a bug - please see [Issue] Check for Updates feature fails I suspect it is unlikely to be related to your crashing issue.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers