Apache OpenOffice 3.4 has been released

Major announcements from the Apache mailing lists
RGB

Re: Apache OpenOffice 3.4 has been released

Post by RGB »

Villeroy wrote:My copy of 3.4.1 for Debian (build 9591) seems to be a final release. It has no separate profile and it replaced the preceeding version.
Lasts development builds perform a full install. There were a series of small but important bugs spotted (and fixed!!) that needed new builds. Now, revision 1369110 is building... let's hope there are no more last minute bugs :)
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Villeroy wrote:My copy of 3.4.1 for Debian (build 9591) seems to be a final release. It has no separate profile and it replaced the preceeding version.
3.4.1 has not been released it. There have been a series of fixes lately before it can be voted on for release. the current snapshots install over the release version and use the same profile. The following is from https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/dis ... hot+Builds
NOTE: The snapshot builds can be built either:
  • with system integration (they will overwrite an existing stable version with the default install, see Run OOo versions parallel to learn how to avoid it)
  • without system integration (they can be installed alongside a stable version)
This week's builds are built with system integration.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
acknak

Post by acknak »

Did someone move this topic by mistake--why is it in "... Code Snippets"?

And why do people keep posting their questions here?

Hmmm ... :?:
 Edit: PS: 
OIC; it's an announcement, so everybody who has some problem related to the new release sees this topic and adds onto the end of it.

But it's still in an "odd" place.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

My recollection is that an announcement can be made to show in red at the top of each page without a thread being placed on all boards.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
hwalker1

Post by hwalker1 »

kingfisher wrote:Thanks. For anyone else who is interested, this seems to express the situation:
en-GB is removed from dist after I have talked with infra people in IRC

It is cleaner and better to have it removed completely.

So please remove en-GB from the supported language list for 3.4. It will be part of the net micro update 3.4.1 with the updated localization
Whilst American has a slight resemblance to English, I cannot use it at the moment as I am a Brit who does not understand American.
Is there anywhere that the earlier version that did speak proper English can be downloaded. I just bought a new laptop and would love to have a copy. Otherwise, I must use (perish the thought) Microsoft Office 10 trial that came with it. When a British English version is available, I will happily contribute some cash to the funds.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

AOO 3.4 has en-GB dictionary included. You need to choose this under /Tools /Options /Language Tools /Languages and define your locale accordingly. Perhaps the Help file and some of the menu items can't spell properly, but so what? Do you want to do some productive work, or sit around all day finding excuses for not doing it? And, by the way, did you not do spelink at skul?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

If you want to become really frustrated by the repeated use of the US dialect, try MS Office.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
anyer8feris

Post by anyer8feris »

I have just downloaded and installed OpenOffice 3.4 and I was surprised to see only an INSTALLATION FILE folder. I expected to open the very program. What should I do about it? I really need your help.
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Please read the Survival Guide for the forum.
Don't multi post, especially in a topic that deals with the release of a version, it's not intended to talk about all the problems with this version.
I've replied your first post few minutes ago already.

Since 3.4.1 should be released in a short while, I lock this topic.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10