[Solved] Formatting with the Tab key

Using them, Making them, Finding them
Cmiller

[Solved] Formatting with the Tab key

Post by Cmiller »

Hello,

I apologize if no one can understand how I explain this. Its going to be hard either way. But...

I am making this template. On a single line, i want text to be formatted at both ends of the margins, without me having to press the tab several times to reach the end of the paper. What i mean is there is text on the left end of the paper, and there is supposed to be text at the right end of the paper. But I only want a "single" space. Not several spaces. This way it will easier to maneuver through my document/template. I'm pretty sure this scenario is referring to a "style." But i have no idea what style that is, neither do I know whether its possible. I have been able to do it Microsoft Word however. Can someone tell me how to do this in Libreoffice. Thank you.

Cmiller
Last edited by Cmiller on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
OxygenOffice.org version 3.3 on a Windows 7 x64 based systems.
Microsoft 2010 Home & Student
LibreOffice 3.6.2

Have a great day! :)
Cmiller

Re: Formatting

Post by Cmiller »

Surprisingly enough I figured out what i was supposed to do. But I'm still having trouble.

After i entered my custom text field, i went to Format ---> Paragraph ---> Tabs tab. This is what the "Tabs" tab looks like:
Capture.PNG
This is basically used for the spacing distance you receive when pressing the Tab key on your keyboard (hence why its called the "Tabs" tab). But i have no idea how to use it. I juts know what it does, and some primary basics of its functions. If possible, could someone give me a brief tutorial on how to use this please. I would greatly thank anyone who will take time in doing this.

Regards,

Cmiller
LibreOffice 3.6.2

RoryOF

Re: Formatting

Post by RoryOF »

Why not choose /Format /Paragraph:Alignment Tab:Centre?

Edit: From your original (unedited) post I understood you wished blank space on either side of text. In the light of your edited post and posted example floris v's advice on tabs is correct. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Formatting with the Tab key

Post by floris v »

The best way to learn to use that dialog box is to play with it. Start a sandbox document, add some text and try all options. It's really rather trivial.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Cmiller

Post by Cmiller »

RoryOF wrote:Why not choose /Format /Paragraph:Alignment Tab:Centre?
I'm not looking for my text to be centered. I could easily do that. What i want is text on left side of the paper and text on right side of the paper. A picture to demonstrate:
1.PNG
1.PNG (2.74 KiB) Viewed 17000 times
Yes it would be simple just to keep spacing it 'til i get to the end of the paper, but i don't want that. I only want one space. And there's only one way i can do this: Whats shown up above. I just need to learn how to use it and I'm in the clear.

Cmiller
LibreOffice 3.6.2

Cmiller

Post by Cmiller »

@floris v

Why can't someone just make a tutorial in this forum. There's bound to be others who want to learn the same thing.
LibreOffice 3.6.2

floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Right aligned tab, position: far right of the text body.

@Cmiller: it's really too trivial to spend a tutorial on. Get your feet wet, play with the options in a sandbox document and you will find everything soon enough. That's also empowering: you will find that you can discover things on your own.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Cmiller

Post by Cmiller »

Alright, I played around with it a bit and found it rather simple to use.

Thanks
LibreOffice 3.6.2

Acker

Re: [Solved} Formatting with the Tab key

Post by Acker »

Would someone mind answering the question?
I am struggling with this too, and cannot work out how to separate the text.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
RoryOF

Re: [Solved} Formatting with the Tab key

Post by RoryOF »

Answered in floris v's post of the 7th April 2012 (above). Set a right tab at righthand side of page, enter your left text, then TAB, then right text. Voila!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS