Is Base practical for the following?

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
wh9991

Is Base practical for the following?

Post by wh9991 »

I now use several very large spreadsheets as databases. Any of the spreadsheets can be more than 100 pages long. The same formula is entered into many cells. The time to do the Copy and Paste sometimes takes hours to do. Is it possible and practical to use Base instead Calc to do this?

I think you need more information to answer my question. As a start, please let me know what information you would like.
OpenOffice 3.3 on WindowsXP
Arineckaig
Volunteer

Re: Is Base practical for the following?

Post by Arineckaig »

Is it possible and practical to use Base instead Calc to do this?
It depends largely on the nature and design of the data. Base can link to several different RDMSs and essentially most of the latter can handle large volumes of data. On the other hand a Relational Database requires stricter logic and discipline in the design, layout and storage of data than does a spreadsheet. There is a sound introductory tutorial that will help you to assess how suitable the data may be for such a change: it can be downloaded from:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/48635562/Base-Tutorial-OOo
When this issue has been resolved, it would help other users of the forum if you add the word - [Solved] - to the Subject line of your 1st post (edit button top right).
AOOo 4.1.5 & LO 6 on MS Windows 10 MySQL and HSQLDB
wh9991

Post by wh9991 »

What is a RDMS?
OpenOffice 3.3 on WindowsXP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

RDBMS is the database software (no, Base is not): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational ... nt_systems
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It stands for Relational Database Management System.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MichealAngelo

Post by MichealAngelo »

I appreciate you raised this query. While ding a project for McGraw University, I faced similar issues with the assignment. Please assist!

Flame icon removed. That icon means 'Tagged to a known issue' (TheGurkha, Moderator)
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP