How to Make Open Office the Killer Ap

Talk about anything at all....
brucemwebb

How to Make Open Office the Killer Ap

Post by brucemwebb »

My background is computer tech
Well I have been an avid user of Open Office since the very first version
I came over to Open Office after using star Office and installing it on many of my customers computers
I am totally at home with open office, I put it on many new computers I build
(Not everyone has the $500 for Microsoft Office)
I maybe wrong but
one thing that seems to be missing with all office software

If Spreadsheet & text documents could be linked together so they could be one document. that would be great
I think the way to do it would be through the tabs in calc so one tab was a spreadsheet & the next tab was text
if open office did it first that would make Open Office the Killer Ap

at the same time we need to keep things simple
I still find many customers don't realise there is a difference between operating system & office software
when I tell people they need office software (a typical comment is but my computer has windows)

So what do you all think?
Hagar Delest

Re: How to Make Open Office the Killer Ap

Post by Hagar Delest »

There is such a feature with MS Office: the Binder (extension is .obd). but I've not seen that kind of file very often at work (in the last ten years).

NB: this has already been requested: Issue 50773 - Create a document container ala Microsoft Binder but it has only 9 votes (3 years old issue) you should subscribe and vote for it (up to 2 votes per issue).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
brucemwebb

Post by brucemwebb »

Yes there is Binder

However I mean one document, one page is calc the next page is writer, change tabs & the menus change to the ap needed
then calculations can be done on one page and the letter for that calc would be on the next
it would save a lot of file management, which is essentially what binder is doing.

That brings me to the next thing most people have no idea about, File management

So come on Open Office Gurus, give us something really powerful
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Any such thread here is just a wish list. The way to get an enhancement looked at by developers is to file a request for enhancement. Such a request is made in the same way as a bug report. There's a tutorial somewhere on the forum explaining how to make a bug report. Each report should deal with one issue only.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10