[Solved] OpenOffice 3.4 with JRE is defective error

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
TonyW

[Solved] OpenOffice 3.4 with JRE is defective error

Post by TonyW »

I installed Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 after installing and testing Java v7u4. Java works with the online test through IE and Firefox, with the Cisco ADSM launcher program and command line java –version, but not with OpenOffice 3.4. I uninstalled and reinstalled both OpenOffice and Java several times, OpenOffice before Java – Java before OpenOffice, with A/V deactivated, and haven’t found a way to get them both to play nice together. Each time I made sure that OpenOffice had the Java selected in the options, closed and restarted OpenOffice.

The problem that I encounter is the program will open but upon trying to open the database file I get the JRE is Defective error (OpenOffice.org requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. The selected JRE is defective. Please select another version or install a new JRE and select it under tools – Options – OpenOffice.org – Java.). Click OK and up pops OpenOffice.org Base (The connection to the data source “Database File Name” could not be established. No Java installation could be found. Please check you installation.).

I tried 2 older versions of Java v7u1 and v6u32. 7u1 caused the same problems as above but v6u32 works like a charm. Any suggestions?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri May 11, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
AOO 3.4.0, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows 7 Pro SP1
RoryOF

Re: OpenOffice 3.4 with JRE is defective error

Post by RoryOF »

Install v6u32 and check that version in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice.org :Java. OpenOffice wll use the Java you select for it; you can install other Javas as well.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

I don't believe that AOO works with Java 7 and Apache plans in the future to remove that dependency completely. The current download does not include the JRE.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

As far as I remember the problem is caused by a java file which has been moved; I have seen a fix for it somewhere. However, my computers are working and I need to keep them working, so I don't bother upgrading unnecessarily and didn't note the URL for the fix.
TonyW

Post by TonyW »

thomasjk wrote:I don't believe that AOO works with Java 7 and Apache plans in the future to remove that dependency completely. The current download does not include the JRE.
Thanks for the quick replies! I believe that you are correct with there being a compatibility issue between AOO and Java 7, I was hoping that the problem had been fixed with the latest release. I have installed v6u32 in order to use the database but I don't like having an outdated version of Java on the system. I hope they do remove the dependency as that would fix this problem. I was looking at doing a round of updates on the teaching lab systems and wanting to include AOO 3.4 but I believe that I will put that off for now. Thanks for the help.
AOO 3.4.0, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows 7 Pro SP1
PGAGA
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice 3.4 with JRE is defective error

Post by PGAGA »

Friday, May 11, 2012

The compatibility issue I believe is between Java 6 and Java 7. AOO issues a call which is not in Java 7.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
amorbavian

Post by amorbavian »

RoryOF wrote:Install v6u32 and check that version in /Tools /Options /OpenOffice.org :Java. OpenOffice wll use the Javea you select for it; you can install other Javas as well.
I have just tried to do the above but when I go and select the folder where Java 6 is, OpenOffice says that the folder does not contain JRE. Any help?
OpenOffice 3.4, Win 7
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Do you have Java installed? If not its available here http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp. Java 6 with the latest update is recommended. Its not clear, at least to me if Java 7 will work. V3.4 does not include the JRE any longer.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
amorbavian

Post by amorbavian »

Yes, I have the newest Java 7 and then I went and downloaded 6u32 as it should work according to this thread but as mentioned, I cannot select it as the Java OpenOffice should use...
OpenOffice 3.4, Win 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Have you restarted your computer since installing the Java 6u32? It should be a 32 bit Java, as OpenOffice is 32 bit.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

amorbavian wrote:Yes, I have the newest Java 7 and then I went and downloaded 6u32 as it should work according to this thread but as mentioned, I cannot select it as the Java OpenOffice should use...
Hit the [Add] button and then point to some path similar like C:\Program Files (32 bit)\Java\1.6.32\jre\
Seemingly, Java 1.7 versions do not have that jre folder but my automatically detected 1.6 folders always refer to the jre subdirectory.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
amorbavian

Post by amorbavian »

RoryOF wrote:Have you restarted your computer since installing the Java 6u32? It should be a 32 bit Java, as OpenOffice is 32 bit.
This solved the problem and OpenOffice found the 32bit version automatically.I should have thought of that fact myself.

THANKS!
OpenOffice 3.4, Win 7
santer

Post by santer »

I had the same problem. AOO works with jre6 but not jre7. i resolved it by installing jre 6. but java is unstable with 2 versions active, so i removed java 7. nevertheless, it's paramount that openoffice fix this incompatibility such that AOO users can have the latest java active on their systems. does anyone know whether this fix will happen?
open office 3.4
win 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

santer wrote:I had the same problem. AOO works with jre6 but not jre7. i resolved it by installing jre 6. but java is unstable with 2 versions active, so i removed java 7. nevertheless, it's paramount that openoffice fix this incompatibility such that AOO users can have the latest java active on their systems. does anyone know whether this fix will happen?
Java 6 is still maintained so you can use the latest Java 6 with AOO. Apart from that, you can install as many Java versions as you need in parallel. Just don't ask me how to do that under Windows where everything is oh so cleverly organized.
For the records: Most office users do not need any Java dependent features. AOO and LibreOffice run very well on machines that have no Java installed.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Saturday, July 07, 2012
santer wrote:I had the same problem. AOO works with jre6 but not jre7. i resolved it by installing jre 6. but java is unstable with 2 versions active, so i removed java 7.
When new updated for 6 and 7 come out, I first install Java 6, the Java 7. On my WinXP system they play well together. I use Java 7 with Polarbar Mailer and MuCommander. And Java 6 with OOo.
nevertheless, it's paramount that openoffice fix this incompatibility such that AOO users can have the latest java active on their systems. does anyone know whether this fix will happen?
Java 6 update 33 is the latest Java. The problem is that backward compatibility is not complete with Java 7.

Phil
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
santer

Post by santer »

PGAGA wrote:Saturday, July 07, 2012
santer wrote:I had the same problem. AOO works with jre6 but not jre7. i resolved it by installing jre 6. but java is unstable with 2 versions active, so i removed java 7.
When new updated for 6 and 7 come out, I first install Java 6, the Java 7. On my WinXP system they play well together. I use Java 7 with Polarbar Mailer and MuCommander. And Java 6 with OOo.
nevertheless, it's paramount that openoffice fix this incompatibility such that AOO users can have the latest java active on their systems. does anyone know whether this fix will happen?
Java 6 update 33 is the latest Java. The problem is that backward compatibility is not complete with Java 7.

Phil
ideally, i'd like to have one version of java on my system. the very latest, which is java 7. therefore, AOO has to do something to make this possible. right?
open office 3.4
win 7
santer

Post by santer »

Villeroy wrote:
santer wrote:I had the same problem. AOO works with jre6 but not jre7. i resolved it by installing jre 6. but java is unstable with 2 versions active, so i removed java 7. nevertheless, it's paramount that openoffice fix this incompatibility such that AOO users can have the latest java active on their systems. does anyone know whether this fix will happen?
Java 6 is still maintained so you can use the latest Java 6 with AOO. Apart from that, you can install as many Java versions as you need in parallel. Just don't ask me how to do that under Windows where everything is oh so cleverly organized.
For the records: Most office users do not need any Java dependent features. AOO and LibreOffice run very well on machines that have no Java installed.
well, i know that one of my spreadsheets uses java, i think for the getquote extension. also, while it's true i can have 2 versions of java, ideally i should have only one, and it should be the very latest.
open office 3.4
win 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

No. Your car may need premium perol, or regular, or super high octane. You get what it needs. My car may be different, it may use diesel. No point my sitting down crying insisting the manufacturer converts it to petrol. I adopt to its needs. If I don't like it, I use another car.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

santer said:
ideally, i'd like to have one version of java on my system. the very latest, which is java 7. therefore, AOO has to do something to make this possible. right?
The long term plan is for Apache to move away from Java in the future. So for now you need Java 6 for certain AOO features.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
santer

Post by santer »

thomasjk wrote:
santer said:
The long term plan is for Apache to move away from Java in the future. So for now you need Java 6 for certain AOO features.
will the average user like myself be notified when java is no longer required?
open office 3.4
win 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

required for what? Java will always be required to run Java code.
santer

Post by santer »

Villeroy wrote:required for what? Java will always be required to run Java code.
required for openoffice. apparently, one of my extensions must be using java (i believe it's getquote), because when i have jre7 installed w/o jre6, i get an error upon opening a spreadsheet.
open office 3.4
win 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

99% of OpenOffice runs perfectly well without Java. Calc is completely independent from Java. As far as extensions are concerned, non-trivial extensions will always be written in Java. Simply use the Java version that works well with your combination of operating system, application and extensions.
santer

Post by santer »

Villeroy wrote:99% of OpenOffice runs perfectly well without Java. Calc is completely independent from Java. As far as extensions are concerned, non-trivial extensions will always be written in Java. Simply use the Java version that works well with your combination of operating system, application and extensions.
in an ideal world shouldn't i always be able to use the latest version of java? my java automatically prompts me to update whenever a new version is available. this time it went from v6 to v7; but after i updated, calc wouldn't open. so i deleted v7, because i don't like to have 2 javas on my system. this should never have to happen.
open office 3.4
win 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

In an ideal world Java7 would run any code that has been written for the Java6 runtime. The issue might be fixable in the extension's code.
You can not write any program that co-operates with a future version of some other software. You can not write an office extension for Java7 when all you know is Java6. Your extension breaks when you use a single Java6 feature that will not exist anymore in Java7.
I run one 32-bit machine with Windows 7, Java7 and both Apache Office and LibreOffice connected to Java databases. So I think there is nothing wrong with the office core. The other Windows machines in the same network run Java6 because some x-ray imaging software needs Java6. You can not always run the latest shit of everything.
P.S. It's a known issue that all flavours of this office suite need Java6(32bit) when running on a 64-bit Windows system. This is no problem as long as Java6 is maintained.
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Sunday, July 08, 2012
santer wrote:ideally, i'd like to have one version of java on my system. the very latest, which is java 7. therefore, AOO has to do something to make this possible. right?
The problem is that there are two latest versions of Java - 6 and 7. AOO uses 6 32 bit. Hopefully with the release of Java 8 (summer 2013) - we may be able to go back to using just one. The new Java aspects in 8 were to be included in 7 but removed at release - this is likely the reason for compatibility issues.

AOO has made itself compatible with Java. The problem is Java 7 is not compatible with Java 6. Until Java fixes that AOO will stay with the current stable release, that is Java 6.

Phil
santer

Post by santer »

PGAGA wrote:Sunday, July 08, 2012
santer wrote:ideally, i'd like to have one version of java on my system. the very latest, which is java 7. therefore, AOO has to do something to make this possible. right?
The problem is that there are two latest versions of Java - 6 and 7. AOO uses 6 32 bit. Hopefully with the release of Java 8 this summer (?) - we may be able to go back to using just one. The new Java aspects in 8 were to be included in 7 but removed at release - this is likely the reason for compatibility issues.

AOO has made itself compatible with Java. The problem is Java 7 is not compatible with Java 6. Until Java fixes that AOO will stay with the current stable release, that is Java 6.

Phil
so when java 8 is released, i'll finally be able to remove both 6 & 7?
open office 3.4
win 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

We all live in hope!
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

santer wrote:so when java 8 is released, i'll finally be able to remove both 6 & 7?
As soon as the author(s) of your extension(s) write a new version you can drop Java6. Today I tested again the XTML export filters, Base and various wizards with AOO 3.4, Java7 and Windows7 on a 32-bit PC. I could not find any problems.
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Monday, July 09, 2012
RoryOF wrote:We all live in hope!
Unfortunately I have to do a +1 for this.

Java 6 is one of the best Java releases in its later stages - backward compatibility did not work properly until double digit updates. At one point I was running 4, 5, and 6 on systems due to compatibility issues.

Phil