[Solved] Adjusting X-axis scale

Discuss the spreadsheet application
harrington77

[Solved] Adjusting X-axis scale

Post by harrington77 »

Any suggestions for how to adjust the scale of the X-axis on a chart? I can adjust the scale on the Y-axis fine, but the X-axis scale is darkened, and not selectable. Thanks.
Last edited by harrington77 on Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windows XP, OOo 2.4
Cambirder
Volunteer

Re: Adjusting X-axis scale

Post by Cambirder »

I can adjust the scale on the Y-axis fine, but the X-axis scale is darkened, and not selectable.
I've never seen that before, any chance you could upload a sample?
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Change the chart type from "line diagram" to "x/y scatter".
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
harrington77

Post by harrington77 »

Thanks Villeroy. Changing to and X-Y Scatter did the trick. After changing the chart type I was able to manipulate the scale on the X-axis. Initially, however, the data from the X-axis was blanked for some reason. Instead of having my dates (which were my X-axis data) along the X-axis, there merely were ascending number values (1-140 for each of my 140 data points). However, after going to Data Ranges, under the Format menu, and then selecting the Data Series tab, I was able to manually enter the data range for the Range for X-values, which solved the problem. Thanks for your help. I do wonder, though, why the scale on the X-axis is not manipulatable in a line-chart. Is this a flaw in the program? P.S., how did you know that switching to an X-Y Scatter would help? Thanks again.
windows XP, OOo 2.4
harrington77

Re: [Solved] Adjusting X-axis scale

Post by harrington77 »

Cambirder, sorry, I have not found a way to capture an image of the pop-up screen that one gets when double-clicking on an axis. For whatever reason, whenever making line charts (but not X-Y Scatters) the scale of the X-axis is not manipulatable.
windows XP, OOo 2.4
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Line charts use discrete string values. Could be as well: John, Mary, Peter, ... whereas x/y-scatters assume 2 numeric scales. The x-axis is a continuous numeric sequence which can be scaled.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice