[Solved] Open Source scheduling software

Talk about anything at all....
Cmiller

[Solved] Open Source scheduling software

Post by Cmiller »

Does anyone know of any good FREE software i can use to schedule my everyday tasks. I used to have Microsoft Works Calendar. But the computer that had it, died and i no longer have the CD to it. Are there any alternatives to Microsoft Works Calendar, or any other related software. Thanks.

Cmiller
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OxygenOffice.org version 3.3 on a Windows 7 x64 based systems.
Microsoft 2010 Home & Student
LibreOffice 3.6.2

Have a great day! :)
RoryOF

Re: Open Source scheduling software

Post by RoryOF »

Look at
OpenProj
This may be too complex for your requirement.

I use a one page a month diary and when that breaks down I hide until it has all gone away, as it does!
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Cmiller

Post by Cmiller »

RoryOF wrote: This may be too complex for your requirement.
I'm afraid it is. :? I just need a simple calendar where i can post to-do list, scheduleing, and perhaps a couple of birthdays. Perferably, one that has daily, weekly, and monthly organization. Also, it would be nice to find one that might have an app to go with it.

Thanks for the suggestion however. Are there any others :?:
LibreOffice 3.6.2

mkoenig

Post by mkoenig »

OpenOffice 3.3 on windows 7
Cmiller

Post by Cmiller »

This works simular to Microsoft Works (even though the UI is different). I like it. Thanks.

I find a big bummer my computer just died recently. And i no longer have the Microsoft Works CD. But the bigger bummer, is that Microsoft no longer sells MS works!!
What happened to that? But oh well...
LibreOffice 3.6.2

rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

If you are not afraid of GNU Emacs, you really should have a look at orgmode.
It does it the other way round. It works like your brain, because you can note something here or there and also a note can be either a single line of text as a reminder or up to a complete chapter of a book. You annotate your notes with priority or date tags right where they are. You don't need to navigate to the calendar month September first if you want to schedule something for September. You just add a scheduling tag for the 9th of September and forget it. Whenever you want you can tell emacs to view your notes in a special agenda view and the notes will be organized dynamically in a monthly, weekly or daily view.
Last edited by rudolfo on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
henke54

Post by henke54 »

LibreOffice 6.0.7.3
on Linux Mint Mate
Cmiller

Post by Cmiller »

I think i just found program just right for me.

After installing Mozilla Sunbird (Mozilla's newest application), i discovered it has all the features i need. Thank you for the suggestions, however. Currently, the software is in its beta stage. But i can't wait for a more stable version.

Thanks,

Cmiller
LibreOffice 3.6.2

rudolfo
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Open Source scheduling software

Post by rudolfo »

Sunbird is not the "newest" Mozilla application. Actually it is 3 or 4 years old already. The fact, that the latest release is in beta stage (1.0 beta1) is not due to the project being new, but related with the decision of the development team to focus on the Thunderbird extension Lightning which has the same features as Sunbird.
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/ wrote: This is the last public Sunbird release by the Calendar Project.
We recommend upgrading to Thunderbird and Lightning.
You may also read the developer's Blog back in 2009 on this.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
jhonman11
Banned

Post by jhonman11 »

Chancellorerp might do what you need, you could set it up with accounts for each of your clients to login and add appointments. It is easy to handle with less no of peoples as once it is implemented correctly you will get the huge benefits form this.
]college management system
henke54

Post by henke54 »

jhonman11 wrote:Chancellorerp ........
Chancellorerp is based on .NET and the C# programming language, and to my knowledge these are NO 'open source' as the topicstarter 'required' ... :P :
Standards and Lock-In
The Common Language Infrastructure (CLI) of .NET and the C# programming language are standards of the ECMA and ISO. Being controlled by [patents], however, means Microsoft's (explicit or assumed) permission is required for non-Microsoft implementations. The majority of libraries, such as WinForms for Windows™ client interfaces, are not part of any [standard]. Libraries that are not part of the standard are required for any useful development. In fact, the implementation of these often required libraries are tied to the Windows platform. These libraries can be changed at a whim without Microsoft breaking with the standards. If any competition gains ground they can change their implementation to break compatiblity yet still be considered standards compliant. This promotes further [lock-in] to Microsoft. Those choosing to use Microsoft's implementation of .NET will likely find that in the [future] they will not be able to migrate their software to another .NET compliant platform.

As for [standards] created outside of Microsoft, .NET still ignores many, choosing to re-implement its own methods instead. .NET's HTML output isn't HTML compliant. The Avalon user interface API could have used standards such as SVG, bringing along many advantages for all, but it's also proprietary, possibly to continue the policy of developer lock-in.
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3
on Linux Mint Mate
Flaxthejute

Post by Flaxthejute »

henke54 wrote:
jhonman11 wrote:Chancellorerp ........
Chancellorerp is based on .NET and the C# programming language, and to my knowledge these are NO 'open source' as the topicstarter 'required' ... :P :
The topicstarter didn't state that he required open source, he stated
Does anyone know of any good FREE software
If you're on a limited budget, and don't have any axe to grind in the open vs closed source discussion, then whether or not .NET and C# are open source is irrelevant. The thing that is relevant is whether or not the software is continuing to be maintained and developed, and even that might not matter if it meets your requirements as it is.
LibreOffice 7.4ish on Windows 10 (home sweet home) and LibreOffice 7.4something on a Peppermint Devuan-running ex-chromebook.
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

Flaxthejute wrote:The topicstarter didn't state that he required open source, he stated
Does anyone know of any good FREE software
Hm, I think we could say that the original poster was not precise enough when formulating his needs. because the title of the topic is surely looking for Open Source scheduling software. Now we could discuss or guess if he meant "free as in free beer" when asking for "free" software, which is commonly understood as anything you don't have to pay for, or if he meant "free as in free speech" which is a metapher, first used by the FSF and Richard Stallman, for Open Source software, where you have the right to change the software.

I guess, it is best to wait on the OP and let him say, what he meant when using the phrase "free software".