Seriously?? There's nothing I can do...

Discuss the word processor
BeastyBoy

Seriously?? There's nothing I can do...

Post by BeastyBoy »

I had eleven pages of a novel I am working on. My cat jumped up on my tower this morning and he shut it off by accident. When I started my computer back up, I received the message saying that my document is locked by an unknown user. I get the # signs...eleven pages of # signs mocking me. :crazy:

So, I have tried:
renaming the file
zipping the file
checking the backup
checking the temporary files
deleting my user profile
deleting the locked icon on my desktop
restoring the document to a previous version (there were none)

I am an avid saver. When I saw he jumped up there, I hit ctrl-S quick, knowing he has the tendency to shut off my computer. I have NEVER had this issue with Microsoft Word, wordpad or notebook, so I didn't even know something like this could even happen. How can I completely lose a file that I saved?? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

From now on I am going to save to a thumb drive as well obviously. Of course, if I had know this was possible, I would have done this in the beginning! Someone, anyone, please tell me there is SOMETHING I can do. I just can't accept the fact that I have to start all over. :evil:
OpenOffice 3.4, Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Seriously?? There's nothing I can do...

Post by RoryOF »

Look in the OpenOffice temp directory and rename any files of about the correct time/size to type .odt and see if they open. A second writing will be better - it is all in your head, isn't it?

No dinner for pussy tonight?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
BeastyBoy

Post by BeastyBoy »

All I see in the temp folder is document_io_logring.txt. I changed that to odt, but as is says it is a log. Any other suggestions?

More anger towards OpenOffice than my cat at the moment.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Your file is lost, sadly. See 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
BeastyBoy

Post by BeastyBoy »

Yeah, I've read that post already. Was hoping for something that could actually recover my document. Uninstalling OpenOffice as we speak. Two days of writing down the drain.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is possible (just) that an Undelete utility will recover a partial file, depending on how much use you have made of your computer in the interim.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS