The future of computing?

Talk about anything at all....
henke54

The future of computing?

Post by henke54 »

It seems that more and more the smartphone/tablet is gonna 'replace' the desktop PC :
http://www.intomobile.com/2012/02/22/ub ... computing/
What do you think ?
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3
on Linux Mint Mate
Hagar Delest

Re: The future of computing ?

Post by Hagar Delest »

I think it's a wrong good idea.
At work there are still laptop for very professional use. Of course, before you had big Unix hardware with a 21" monitor and now it's just a heavy laptop. But it still needs some good hardware that is not ready to fit inside a tablet.
You can also have some security devices to protect your laptop and you do care when you have it during transportation. What if you lose or break or have your tablet/smartphone stolen? You lose your whole office data, not just your contacts. Or you have an online backup solution running real time. But what about the confidentiality/security of your professional data (both stolen and online)? That's another cost to evaluate.
And finally, how far are we ready to let our professional life enter our personal life at home?
But well, perhaps I'm already old minded...
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

I wouldn't want everything on a tablet (or phone) but I'd love to be able to transparently work on my PC remotely, using a phone/tablet.

Maybe the thin client idea will finally take off.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
robweir

Post by robweir »

Tablets are great for some tasks. But it comes down to productivity. Try this test: write a report, create a spreadsheet, and a presentation. Try it on a desktop PC, a laptop and a tablet. Compare the effort/time and the results.

For me, laptop and desktop are pretty similar. But on a tablet I am far less efficient. I get less work done. And isn't that the purpose of a computer?

-Rob
OOo 3.3.0 through AOO 4.0.1 on Windows XP/7/8/8.1 and Ubuntu 12.04
Apache OpenOffice Committer/PMC
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I write best on a desktop with a big (or two) monitors. I use a laptop for presentations, and very rarely travel with a netbook. If I really, really need the Internet when away, as it might be to check a train time or flight details, I can get it on my Kindle (very clunky, but it works!).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

From my limited use of tablets, I think they are best for the consumption of information. One can read emails or look up web pages comfortably. Since that is what many people do a majority of the time, I can see why they are popular. If one is producing substantial information, a report or the analysis of a large data set, a tablet isn't a a very good tool, as Rob points out.
I'm puzzled by people wanting AOO on phone. An ODT reader makes sense, but producing documents seems very painful. But then, I'm no youngster.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The more people carry their graphic terminals with them, the more will modern computing look like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRwPSFpLX8I
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
henke54

Post by henke54 »

robweir wrote:But it comes down to productivity. Try this test: write a report, create a spreadsheet, and a presentation. Try it on a desktop PC, a laptop and a tablet. Compare the effort/time and the results.
Yes, but if you see this demo from Softpedia , ... all you have to get is a TV , smartphone (with docking station) and a (wireless)mouse , and your 'desktop' is (almost) 'complete' , because a keyboard should also be 'necessary' me thinks ... :mrgreen:
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3
on Linux Mint Mate
jessy27

Post by jessy27 »

I work 8-10 hours a day on my desktop, I only use my laptop when I travel. Doing everything I need to do on my computer, I don't see
how I would get half of it done on a daily basis from my Ipad. There handy for some things but not with my work load :)
openoffice 3.3 on windows 7
Hambright
Banned

Post by Hambright »

Hagar Delest wrote:I think it's a wrong good idea.
At work there are still laptop for very professional use. Of course, before you had big Unix hardware with a 21" monitor and now it's just a heavy laptop. But it still needs some good hardware that is not ready to fit inside a tablet.
You can also have some security devices to protect your laptop and you do care when you have it during transportation. What if you lose or break or have your tablet/smartphone stolen? You lose your whole office data, not just your contacts. Or you have an online backup solution running real time. But what about the confidentiality/security of your professional data (both stolen and online)? That's another cost to evaluate.
And finally, how far are we ready to let our professional life enter our personal life at home?
But well, perhaps I'm already old minded...
Yes I really appreciate with your idea.
Life Is Beautiful
rudolfo
Volunteer

Re: The future of computing?

Post by rudolfo »

I use a smartphone (not a tablet) so typing texts is a pain. It is still good if I want to quickly look up something in the internet or check my mails. But there is a conflict when checking mail with the smartphone: It's good if I just want to make sure that some mail hasn't arrived and I can calm down again, because no more action is needed by me. But if I am waiting for a mail that I want to answer (or must answer) and the answer would not just be a one liner, I nearly always start to miss my keyboard and immediately feel that I am not productive because typing takes so long.

BTW, I haven't answered any of the threads here via the smartphone. And I don't think that this will be changing in the next 2 years.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

What I found interesting is that you can have two different OS's run simultaneously on a smartphone, which raises the question why you can't have that on a laptop or PC.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
rubyclaire

Post by rubyclaire »

henke54 wrote:It seems that more and more the smartphone/tablet is gonna 'replace' the desktop PC :
http://www.intomobile.com/2012/02/22/ub ... computing/
What do you think ?
No, it is not possible. At workplaces it is must to have PC's and it is not possible to do work on tablet!! :D
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
peterroots
Volunteer

Post by peterroots »

or you prop the tablet up on a docking station, add a keyboard and mouse and then you can use it, even if the screen is a bit small. So, add and external monitor as well. Mind you, are you then really 'using' a tablet or one masquerading as a desktop PC that you can take out of the office and loose, sit on or have stolen with all your data on it?
(First person to call me cynical is not passing on breaking news :-) )
LibreOffice 4.0.3 OpenSUSE 12.3 : OpenOffice 4 Linux Mint 15
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

If you want to be wrong, predict the future.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
peterroots
Volunteer

Post by peterroots »

or argue with your wife
LibreOffice 4.0.3 OpenSUSE 12.3 : OpenOffice 4 Linux Mint 15
sukhdev

Post by sukhdev »

I see only Calc/ spreadsheet facility being the only need and the mobile could well be just a very efficient terminal sensor
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows XP
henke54

Post by henke54 »

Mozilla's director of research Andreas Gal didn't mince his words when asked what he thought of Windows Phone 8, Apple's iOS, and Google's Android at a demo of the Firefox OS in September. "Microsoft will be the last to experiment with proprietary native code. It will either fail and make Apple and Google the only two to have successful private systems, or it will succeed and it will take longer for them to go away."
http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-57 ... irefox-os/
:P
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3
on Linux Mint Mate