Comments / Tutorial Installing Apache OpenOffice on GNU/Linux

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
RGB

Comments / Tutorial Installing Apache OpenOffice on GNU/Linux

Post by RGB »

Updated package names on the first entry. It seems that AOO packages will not have a bundled JRE: the parts that mention it could disappear from the guide on a near future ;)
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Re: [Tutorial] Installing Apache OpenOffice on GNU/Linux

Post by Hagar Delest »

Moved to the Linux section and moved to the Tutorial section (leaving a shadow in Linux).
Changed the titles of the posts and removed the Draft tag.
Will remove these last 2 posts in a while, seems to be rather good now.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RGB

Post by RGB »

Eliminated references to the JVM: it is not bundled anymore on AOO
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

RGB

Post by RGB »

There is now an unofficial Debian repository for AOO:

Unofficial Apache OO Debian repository

vasa1
Volunteer

Post by vasa1 »

With specific reference to Ubuntu, would RGB or anyone else add a bit on how to uninstall LibreOffice and then install Apache OpenOffice or, despite potential security concerns, an older version of OpenOffice.org?

The reason I'm asking is this: The Ubuntu Software Center lists OpenOffice.org but apt-get -s install openoffice.org shows that LibreOffice will be installed. So imagine a situation in which a person runs sudo apt-get purge libreoffice* and then deletes ~/.config/libreoffice and then does apt-get install openoffice.org. Back to square one?
LibreOffice 5.2.1.2 on Lubuntu 16.04 (Openbox)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

On Ubuntu I have always found it advisable to remove libreoffice-core (earlier, openoffice-core), using Synaptic or sudo apt-get remove libreoffice-core before installing (originally) Oracle OpenOffice and now Apache OpenOffice 3.4 from the download at http://www.openoffice.org, using the method described in the tutorial. Many of the Volunteers on this Forum use those versions of OpenOffice in preference to linux distro versions, as they are more stable.

If the Ubuntu distro is installing LibreOffice when requested to install OpenOffice there may be trademark implications which Apache may need to raise with Ubuntu. I have raised this matter on the Apache Marketing mailing list.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
vasa1
Volunteer

Post by vasa1 »

RoryOF wrote:...
If the Ubuntu distro is installing LibreOffice when requested to install OpenOffice ...
Rory, you can verify it with a simulation (no need for sudo):

Code: Select all

apt-get -s install openoffice.org
Then check the output in the terminal.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I don't doubt you, vasa1. I always install off the main OpenOffice site, so the problem doesn't affect me. I'll let Apache (the trademark owner) deal with it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RGB

Post by RGB »

I modified the first paragraph to consider those distros with problems. Please, someone check if the instructions are OK: it is several years since I last used fedora and I'm not an ubuntu expert either...

Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have modified the paragraph about problems with distros to add that LibO can be installed afterward by using the website packages instead of the distro packages.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
vasa1
Volunteer

Post by vasa1 »

RoryOF wrote:On Ubuntu I have always found it advisable to remove libreoffice-core (earlier, openoffice-core), using Synaptic or sudo apt-get remove libreoffice-core before installing (originally) Oracle OpenOffice and now Apache OpenOffice 3.4 from the download at http://www.openoffice.org, using the method described in the tutorial. Many of the Volunteers on this Forum use those versions of OpenOffice in preference to linux distro versions, as they are more stable. ...
A comment ... I installed LibreOffice 3.5.4.2 direct and I don't see libreoffice-core when I run "dpkg --get-selections". Instead, I see:

Code: Select all

libraw5						install
librdf0						install
libreadline6					install
libreoffice-debian-menus			install
libreoffice3.5					install
libreoffice3.5-base				install
libreoffice3.5-calc				install
libreoffice3.5-dict-en				install
libreoffice3.5-dict-es				install
libreoffice3.5-dict-fr				install
libreoffice3.5-draw				install
libreoffice3.5-en-us				install
libreoffice3.5-impress				install
libreoffice3.5-math				install
libreoffice3.5-stdlibs				install
libreoffice3.5-ure				install
libreoffice3.5-writer				install
librest-0.7-0					install
librhythmbox-core5				install
Whether libreoffice-core is found in installations done via the repository is something I don't know. That's why I suggested sudo apt-get purge libreoffice*. It should cover both cases. Incidentally, the simulation shows that additional stuff, not expected from a literal reading of libreoffice* will be removed.
RGB

Post by RGB »

Guide updated to include instructions for the upcoming AOO 4.0.0.

sjgoldborough

Post by sjgoldborough »

I installed the Apache version of Open Office on Linux Mint (Olivia/Xfce desktop). I ran it from the terminal after downloading the tar.gz from Apache website. There was a message that the instal didn't complete because Libre Office owned a file or directory soffice. From Synaptic package manager I uninstalled Libre Office permanently (run a query on Libre Office and select for uninstall anything with the LibreOffice name). I repeated the manual instal and it worked.

Only problem for me now is that open office doesn't plug into the xfce file manger but uses its own file drop down box for open or save file and this app. doesn't see network drives.

Hope this is some help.
OpenOffice 4.01 Linux Mint Olivia Xfce edition