[Solved] Dictionaries and Thesaurus not working

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
CS_UK

[Solved] Dictionaries and Thesaurus not working

Post by CS_UK »

:cry: Help, OO 2.4 under Windows 2000. With my terrable spelling I need the dectionary and thesouris but not working. Yes, have set the language for selection, paragraph, whole document. Have set language under the Tools option and under the Format > Character > Font. The AutoSpellchecker has its red line and the Spellcheck has its tick mark. The File > Wizards > Install New Dictionaries does nothing (even after closing and reopening).

My Java version is the newist. OO is not set up on the Windows partician, nor is Java (but the Java is ticked correctly in the Options > Java box). I tried to keep the earlier version of OO installed when installing this version (spell check, thesourus, and custom dictionaries all worked on that), but can't even go back to it as the new version destroys the old version even when in a different location. Can't find an .ini file that tells where the paths are which are being used to find tha dictionarys.

None of the various discussions or the online help files have given a solution.

Charles
Last edited by CS_UK on Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: Dictionarys and Thesouris Not working

Post by Hagar Delest »

No fix after reading the [Tutorial] Spell check and Language configuration?
What's the language set in the Default paragraph style (open the Stylist with F11 and right click on the Default entry, then Modify)?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
CS_UK

Post by CS_UK »

No, I had gone through that. The writing aids at the top doesn't list any language modules but the edit box is grayed out so can't enter anything. Under the User Defined dictionary's I've added two which I have used before. Trying to use English, ideally both UK and USA. At the moment under Style list it comes up English (UK) but have also tried it with English (USA). On my dictionary.lst I have tried both a modified one to exclude all the unwanted ones but also used an unmodified one, no effect.

I'm suspecting OO is looking in the wrong place for the dictionary, is that possible. I don't see anywhere to find a path to them unlike earlier versions so wonder if it is hard coded to the wrong place for my setup.

Charles
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you closed completely OOo and the quickstarter (OOo icon in the system tray bottom right of your screen)? Check what's in your dictionary.lst file and if the file is in the same folder as the dictionary files themselves (should be in ...\share\dict\ooo subfolder of the main installation directory).
CS_UK

Post by CS_UK »

Yes. Even turned the computer off (well it was overnight). Yes, dictionary.lst and dictionarys are in the same place. I have them in F:\Word Apps\OpenOffice24\share\wordbook then tried them in E:\Documents and Settings\cs\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2\share\wordbook which is the drive Windows is on. What I haven't been able to do is try installing new dictionaries as the Wizard doesn't appear to do anything.

Charles
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you enabled the macros for the wizard? See the tutorial.
You should at least see the English (USA & UK) since they're installed by default.
Can you post the content of your dictionary.lst file?
CS_UK

Post by CS_UK »

I don't know anything about enabling macros for the Wizards, never heard of this being needed. Just assumed they were set up so would work. Where does one find this tutorial? All I know of are the help pages which assume things are working.

Yes, thought the UK and US dictionaries were included as standard, but the language lists the whole host of them so slightly giving the impression that they are also included. Have been trying to do a download of the UK dictionary from the OO.org site but it never is able to connect (US is fine).

My dictionary.lst file
# List of All Dictionaries to be Loaded by OpenOffice
# ---------------------------------------------------
# Each Entry in the list have the following space delimited fields
#
# Field 1: Entry Type "DICT" - spellchecking dictionary
# "HYPH" - hyphenation dictionary
# "THES" - thesaurus files
#
# Field 2: Language code from Locale "en" or "de" or "pt" ...
#
# Field 3: Country Code from Locale "US" or "GB" or "PT"
#
# Field 4: Root name of file(s) "en_US" or "hyph_de" or "th_en_US
# (do not add extensions to the name)

# DICT th TH th_TH
# HYPH de DE hyph_de_DE
# DICT de DE de_DE
# DICT it IT it_IT
# HYPH it IT hyph_it_IT
# THES cs CZ th_cs_CZ_v2
# DICT nl NL nl_NL
# HYPH nl NL hyph_nl_NL
# HYPH da DK hyph_da_DK
DICT en GB en_GB
HYPH en GB hyph_en_GB
THES en GB th_en_US_v2
DICT en US en_US
HYPH en US hyph_en_US
THES en US th_en_US_v2
# DICT sw TZ sw_TZ
# DICT sw KE sw_TZ
# HYPH ru RU hyph_ru_RU
# HYPH de CH hyph_de_DE
# DICT de CH de_CH
# DICT hu HU hu_HU
# HYPH hu HU hyph_hu_HU
# HYPH de AT hyph_de_DE
# DICT de AT de_AT
# 06/06/2006 23:39:16
# 06/06/2006 23:39:56
# 04/24/2008
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See the link I've posted above, check section 4.
Do you see the V tickmark before the English entries in the language drop-down list (in the Font tab of the paragraph style properties for example)?
CS_UK

Post by CS_UK »

Ah, yes I have gone through that tutorial. My " File>Wizards>Install new dictionaries. It opens a document, " doesn't do anything, i.e. it doesn't open a document or anything viable I can see just closes.

Where should the dictionaries reside? I have them in F:\Word Apps\OpenOffice24\share\wordbook . Under this directory is also a dict folder with some of the same entries and another F:\Word Apps\OpenOffice24\share\dict folder along with similar workbook on the Windows disk (drive E: ).

Thanks bye the way for sticking with this, it gets frustrating.

Charles
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The wizard should open a file with hyperlinks pointing to the language interface you want (for installation only), then, hitting a macro button will launch it. See in the tutorial, you can download it if you haven't the file on your HD.

The \share\wordbook is not for spellchecking, it's for the custom dictionaries (words you add by right click in the text).
In the \dict\ooo folder, do you see the files with .dic and .aff extensions?
CS_UK

Re: Dictionaries and Thesaurus not working

Post by CS_UK »

None of my Wizards do anything, just disappear i.e. close.

>The \share\wordbook is not for spellchecking, it's for the custom dictionaries

Ahh, had noted they were for custom but since nothing says anything about the standard dictionaries location assumed they would also be here. \dict\ooo folder yes see the whole host of dictionaries and also a dictionary.lst which I had modified days ago to not load all the unwanted ones.

I'm thinking the best thing is to uninstall all of my OpenOffice builds then go through the reinstillation (must just try and save my custom templates, etc which don't seem to be respected on such actions).

Charles
Hagar Delest

Re: Dictionaries and Thesaurus not working

Post by Hagar Delest »

Yes, seems to be the best solution.
CS_UK

Re: [Solved]Dictionaries and Thesaurus not working

Post by CS_UK »

Solved the problem by completely removing all aspects of OpenOffice. Noticed that the Windows Remove doesn't remove everything so manually deleted everything I could find. Rebooted to be on the safe side and reinstalled. Now working as expected. Thanks for all the help.

I don't install in the Windows directory so using the custom install set to me desired directory but need to watch this as it has parts of it that still go where not wanted and numerous locations need to be changed.

Charles