Apache OpenOffice 3.4 has been released

Major announcements from the Apache mailing lists
Hagar Delest

Apache OpenOffice 3.4 has been released

Post by Hagar Delest »

See the official announcement: http://www.openoffice.org/news/aoo34.html
The Apache OpenOffice Project Announces Apache OpenOffice™ 3.4

http://www.OpenOffice.org —8 May 2012— The Apache OpenOffice Project today announced the availability of Apache OpenOffice™ 3.4, the first release of OpenOffice under the governance of the Apache Software Foundation.

Apache OpenOffice is the original open source office productivity suite, designed for professional and consumer use.

"With the donation of OpenOffice.org to the ASF, the Foundation, and especially the podling project, was given a daunting task: re-energize a community and transform OpenOffice from a codebase of unknown Intellectual Property heritage, to a vetted and Apache Licensed software suite," said Jim Jagielski, ASF President and an Apache OpenOffice project mentor. "The release of Apache OpenOffice 3.4 shows just how successful the project has been: pulling in developers from over 21 corporate affiliations, while avoiding undue influence which is the death-knell of true open source communities; building a solid and stable codebase, with significant improvement and enhancements over other variants; and, of course, creating a healthy, vibrant and diverse user and developer community."

Apache OpenOffice is the leading open source office productivity suite, with more than 100 million users worldwide in home, corporate, government, research, and academic environments, across 15 languages. Apache OpenOffice 3.4 is available for download free of charge. OpenOffice 3.4 features:
  • word processing, spreadsheets, presentation graphics, databases, drawing, and mathematical editing applications support for Windows, Linux (32-bit and 64-bit) and Macintosh operating environments
  • native language support for English, Arabic, Czech, German, Spanish, French, Galician, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Russian, Brazilian Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese
  • improved ODF support, including new ODF 1.2 encryption options and new spreadsheet functions
  • enhanced pivot table support in Calc
  • enhanced graphics, including line caps, shear transformations and native support for Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG)
  • improvements in performance and quality
The complete list of new features, functions, and improvements is available in the Release Notes.

Apache OpenOffice users also benefit from a broad ecosystem of 3rd party products, including over 2300 templates and over 800 extensions.
Community-Driven Development, The Apache Way

The OpenOffice code base was created by Star Division in the 1990's, acquired by Sun Microsystems in 1999 and later Oracle Corporation in 2010, before being submitted to The Apache Software Foundation mid-2011.

Today the project is being developed by an all-volunteer group of developers, testers, translators, and other contributors under the ASF's meritocratic process informally dubbed "The Apache Way", and is supported by hundreds of Open Source software volunteers from around the world.

[...]

For the first official Apache release of OpenOffice, the developer team successfully conformed to the policy defined by the Incubator Project Management Committee by identifying, removing and replacing with comparable function those libraries with licenses incompatible with Apache Software Foundation license policy.
Future Developments

Plans for future enhancements by the Project include support for additional native languages, enhanced accessibility, usability and performance improvements, and adopting new features and improvements from the upcoming IBM Lotus Symphony contribution.

The Apache OpenOffice Project Management Committee invites people to join. There are many different area where contribution is most welcome. Check out the Get Involved page.

"Apache OpenOffice is the leading Open Source office productivity suite with more than 15 years of engineering investment. We are pleased and excited to offer OpenOffice fully licensed under the Apache License 2. This offering will form the foundation of OpenOffice innovation moving forward here at Apache," said Juergen Schmidt, Apache OpenOffice Release Manager and veteran core developer. "With the achievement of this major milestone, we have established a diverse and vibrant community with sufficient depth and skills to ably steward this important product into the future. We look forward to graduating as an Apache Top Level Project soon."
For more information

More information on the Apache OpenOffice product can be found at our website, http://www.openoffice.org. Information on the Apache OpenOffice project, including information on volunteering with the project can be found at our project website.

To be added to a mailing list for official OpenOffice-related announcements, send an email to ooo-announce-subscribe@incubator.apache.org. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Identi.ca and Google+.
To get it, use the button bottom right of this page!
Enjoy!

Notice also the new user support page for forums, it also includes a custom search field that will let you narrow the search to specific areas (like forums, wikis, OOo domain).
Check it here: http://user.services.openoffice.org/
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: Apache OpenOffice 3.4 has been released

Post by kingfisher »

I see there is no British English version (or language pack) yet. Anyone have any idea when there will be?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
hanya
Volunteer

Post by hanya »

kingfisher wrote:I see there is no British English version (or language pack) yet. Anyone have any idea when there will be?
http://markmail.org/message/oqvmumnqqer2fdsa
Please, edit this thread's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Apache OpenOffice 4-dev on Xubuntu 14.04
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Thanks. For anyone else who is interested, this seems to express the situation:
en-GB is removed from dist after I have talked with infra people in IRC

It is cleaner and better to have it removed completely.

So please remove en-GB from the supported language list for 3.4. It will be part of the net micro update 3.4.1 with the updated localization
vasa1
Volunteer

Post by vasa1 »

Any idea whether the "micro update 3.4.1", and updates in general, will be delta (differential) or full installs?
LibreOffice 5.2.1.2 on Lubuntu 16.04 (Openbox)
nikolam

OpenOffice build for Sunos - Solaris/Openindiana/Illumos

Post by nikolam »

There is no OpenOffice for Solaris 10 and Solaris 11 x86, Solaris SPARC and Opensolaris - Openindiana/Illumos (currently on 151a4 /dev prerelease)
I think people Building previious release for SunOS were from Germany I think but as OO.org 3.4 is not on download site, I guess it needs to be buid for Solarises.

If code and build environment changes are not extreme big e.g. , maybe Openoffice.org could be built for Solaris10/11 and Openindiana/Illumos ?
OpenOffice 3.3 on Openindiana 151a4 with Illumos on x86 an x86-64 / LibreOffice 3.4.3 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64bit
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

May 9, 2012

A developer snapshot can be found here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/dis ... +Snapshots

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
wolfman2332

Post by wolfman2332 »

Fantastic!

I observed in the release notes that it no longer supports Tunderbird address books. Does this mean I have to convert to Seamonkey?
Win 7, Ooo 3.4
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

An early article.
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

wolfman2332 wrote:I observed in the release notes that it no longer supports Tunderbird address books. Does this mean I have to convert to Seamonkey?
The release notes actually say Base: Mozilla Address Book support removed, in favor of Seamonkey.
This doesn't mean Mozilla's Thunderbird product, but the old full Browser/Email Suite Mozilla. As you don't even remember this product and think of Thunderbird if you hear the words Mozilla and Address book this proofs that they are right with their statement "Since the Mozilla product has long been superseded by the SeaMonkey suite, ..."
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
wolfman2332

Post by wolfman2332 »

Installed it last night - works nicely with Thinderbird - application is also playing well with other aps on my system (Win7). Am delighted by the changes and improvements so far. Worth the wait, and have no doubt that Ooo will be catching up to LO with the next releases.

Rudolfo - I don;t really understand your reference - as I understand it, Seamonkey is a combined browaser/email handler, where as Firefox and Thunderbird are two separate packages. I need the calendar and othe features in Thunderbird. I have looked at Seamonkey, but it seems incomplete for my mission requirements.

Anyway - to all - THANKS and keep going!
Win 7, Ooo 3.4
hughmcguire4

Post by hughmcguire4 »

Oh wonderful,we've got Apache OO 3.4. Too bad my up-to-date iMac10.6.8 doesn't recognize the download and there are no options. :x
Open Office 3.3.0 on MacOS 10.6.8
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

hughmcguire4 wrote:Oh wonderful,we've got Apache OO 3.4. Too bad my up-to-date iMac10.6.8 doesn't recognize the download and there are no options. :x
What problem did you encounter? Error messages?

I had no problem installing AOO 3.4 on my MacBook.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
rudolfo
Volunteer

Post by rudolfo »

wolfman2332 wrote:Rudolfo - I don;t really understand your reference - as I understand it, Seamonkey is a combined browaser/email handler, where as Firefox and Thunderbird are two separate packages. I need the calendar and othe features in Thunderbird. I have looked at Seamonkey, but it seems incomplete for my mission requirements.
As you have figured out Apache OpenOffice 3.4 still works with the Thunderbird address book. (So did I because I did a quick test before writing my post). The source of confusion is the phrase Mozilla. There is a Mozilla Organization that releases all those well known products as Firefox, Thunderbird and the not so well known Seamonkey. But their first software product was actually a thing that was also called Mozilla:
www.mozilla.org/about/history.html wrote:After several years of development, Mozilla 1.0, the first major version, was released in 2002. This version featured many improvements to the browser, email client and other applications included in the suite, but not many people were using it.
It was the same type of browser/email communication suite as the Netscape Communicator and later on Mozilla's Seamonkey. Only the support for the address book of this specific software product "Mozilla Suite" has been dropped in OpenOffice. The address books in any other products that are released by the Mozilla Foundation are still supported.
OpenOffice 3.1.1 (2.4.3 until October 2009) and LibreOffice 3.3.2 on Windows 2000, AOO 3.4.1 on Windows 7
There are several macro languages in OOo, but none of them is called Visual Basic or VB(A)! Please call it OOo Basic, Star Basic or simply Basic.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

vasa1 wrote:Any idea whether the "micro update 3.4.1", and updates in general, will be delta (differential) or full installs?
There's a new thread on Setup about the en_GB version. See also this issue (two votes allowed) and thread on dev list beginning with this message.

Updates have always (AFAIK) been full installations.
wolfman2332

Post by wolfman2332 »

Thanks Rudolfo - that makes sense, but it is sort of confusing.
Win 7, Ooo 3.4
pjwalkerpj

Post by pjwalkerpj »

Has anyone else noticed that Report Builder extension does not instal into AOO3.4?
Without it 3.4 is totally useless for me
Pete
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

pjwalkerpj wrote:Has anyone else noticed that Report Builder extension does not instal into AOO3.4?
Pete
I have Oracle Report Builder 1.2.1 installed in AOO 3.4 on my Mac.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

What is the situation regarding Java 7 and 3.4? The download instructions say "at least Java 1.6". The "Java & OpenOffice.org" notes say nothing re JRE version numbers.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Some reports indicate that Java 6 (_not_ 7) is required with AOO 3.4.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

RoryOF wrote:Some reports indicate that Java 6 (_not_ 7) is required with AOO 3.4.
Well, that was my understanding, but somebody on the MozillaZine forum reckoned that 3.4 works with Java 7. I'd prefer to upgrade to 7 as it's more secure, but I don't want to screw up my OpenOffice installation in the process!
OpenOffice 4.1.1 Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice allows one to select a particular Java installation from all the Javas installed on a computer
/Tools /Options /Openoffice.org : Java and check the desired installation.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
/a3

Post by /a3 »

Vitesse wrote:Well, that was my understanding, but somebody on the MozillaZine forum reckoned that 3.4 works with Java 7. I'd prefer to upgrade to 7 as it's more secure, but I don't want to screw up my OpenOffice installation in the process!
More secure? Version 6 is still maintained by Oracle at the moment and gets plenty of security updates. :)

Just make sure you uninstall old versions (that are kept for compatibility).
LibreOffice 4.2
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

May 13, 2012

AOO 3.4 will run with Java 7, but some components will not work because of compatibility issues with Java 6 and Java 7. I was running on WInXP with Java 7 and one of the extensions I regularly use would not install with Java 7. I switched back to Java 6 and the extension installed.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
pjwalkerpj

Post by pjwalkerpj »

lgusaas wrote:
pjwalkerpj wrote:Has anyone else noticed that Report Builder extension does not instal into AOO3.4?
Pete
I have Oracle Report Builder 1.2.1 installed in AOO 3.4 on my Mac.
(Un) fortunately I do not work in the Mac environment. I have a fully updated XP environment in which 3.2 works fine, 3.3 has some very annoying idiosynchrosies (?) and 3.4 is unacceptable. The trend here is inescapable.
Pete
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Report builder cannot be included in an Apache release because of license problems. Any future update of it to maintain compatibility with AOO will depend on someone other that the AFS, at least as I understand it. I will try using it with 3.4 tomorrow and see how it goes.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
pjwalkerpj

Post by pjwalkerpj »

I await your findings FJCC with interest.
However I don't think that the problem is with Oracle Report Builder. This program has performed, albeit with limitations, in a stable condition with other versions of OOo and with Libre Office. The thing that has changed is the Apache release. This is where it must be fixed.
Pete
pjwalkerpj

Post by pjwalkerpj »

I have resurrected a clean, ie no instances of any open office programs, copy of XP and downloaded a new copy of AOO 3.4. I also downloaded a new copy of Oracle Report Builder.
The instalation of 3.4 managed to find a very old copy of Sun Reporter and spat the dummy.
However after a couple of goes I have found something that works
1. Make sure that Java (jre) has been enabled in Options. Version 6.31 works for me. I haven't as yet tried the very new version 7.
2. Change the extension of ORB from zip to OXT and instal using the extension manager
Hey presto it works.
The only thing that seems to have changed is that you can't create the report from within the ARB edit page. You have to go back and select open rather than edit and the reports are created.
I have just realised that without that toolbar all the edit facilities are not there either so you can't manually create a report. Maybe you can instal the tool bar. I will investigate also I will have to test the wizard to see if that works acceptably.
Pete
PS When I reopened 3.4 and the ORB, the tool bar has reappeared and is working as normal
Hooray
ebworthen

Post by ebworthen »

Installed 3.4 on a clean Windows 7 64-Bit install.

"Typical" Installation.

After install only dialog screen was "Open Database".

WTF?

I don't want to open a database.

Are you out to screw up OpenOffice, give Microsoft more money, or chase us all to Google Docs?

No menu for separate programs withing OpenOffice, only "Open Database".

Good Lord...
OpenOffice 3.4 on Windows 7 64 bit
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Calm down. We are not the developers. If you want help, this is the place to come. If you want to let off steam, take a cold shower.