[Solved] Spam - straight to delete instead of quarantine?

The place for discussions and decisions about the forum
TheGurkha
Volunteer

[Solved] Spam - straight to delete instead of quarantine?

Post by TheGurkha »

With the large increase of spam, I suggest that where it is obviosauly spam, we just delete it. where there is some question over it being spam or real, we move it to the quarantine forum and contact the poster. But for stuff that is definitely spam, let's just ban the spammer and hit the x button in the post to delete it.

There is so much new spam in the quarantine forum that listing the new posts only shows a screenful of spam posts - the real posts are getting swamped.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
acknak

Re: Increase of spam - straight to delete instead of quarant

Post by acknak »

TheGurkha wrote:... There is so much new spam in the quarantine forum that listing the new posts only shows a screenful of spam posts - the real posts are getting swamped.
I thought that only mods/admins could see the quarantine forum--is that right?

As long as we move the problem posts somewhere instead of just deleting them, it doesn't matter to me where they go--just so I have a way to resurrect them if when I make a mistake.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ok, I looked again: the description of the Q forum says only mods and admins can see it.

However, it is a nuisance for those of us who can see it, so I think you're right: it's time to just move the obvious spam to the "Deleted" bin and skip the quarantine step.

I'm going to start doing that unless someone has an objection.

I'm wondering how bad this is going to get :crazy:

The only next step I can see is shutting off new members, or requiring new members to go through moderation before posting.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Just delete. Today has been especially bad for obvious spam. The MODS need to look at the new user process. I participate on some boards where links are not allowed unless you have made a minimum number of posts.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Seeing the spam overflooding, I fully agree too.
I've deleted the posts of big spammers (someone with 43 posts!).

I've called for another admin on the incubator private mailing list to replace Terry. Someone (imacat) has replied positively and I had to force ASF staff to give some information so that she can apply for infra team membership (a pre-requisite).

I had looked at a new user status that prevents links but there was something problematic IIRC. Will check again.

NB: Quarantine should be accessible to Volunteers IMHO, the purpose was to allow Volunteers to review the removal of topics. And sometimes there was mistakes: I've personally moved 2 topics back in their original section, I think it was a wrong selection when moving for example from Beginners to somewhere else. Pavlov reflex I guess and Quarantine may have been selected by automatism! So I think that the description is slightly wrong.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

Hagar Delest wrote:...NB: Quarantine should be accessible to Volunteers IMHO, the purpose was to allow Volunteers to review the removal of topics. ...
+1

Much more spam this morning: ~120 posts
acknak

Post by acknak »

BTW, this isn't really a private topic. Should be in the open site issues forum I think.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

+1. Moved to the Forum administration section.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

There must be ways to stop this happening. I've never seen it at other forums except, of course, oooforum. Banning user names is singularly ineffective, for obvious reasons. Ban the IP addresses and be done with it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
acknak

Post by acknak »

Banning by IP doesn't work either: they all use different IPs, even the ones that are using related user IDs.

Yesterday was horrible--nearly constant spam postings all morning, up until the forum crashed with "too many connections". Today, it seems to be back to more manageable levels.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I believe we already discussed disabling links for new members - I just wonder if that's enabled in this version phpbb or that somebody has to code that. They must have lots of mail addresses too? Yesterday was terrible :shock: - I almost offered to apply for moderatorship to help out.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I confirm that IP changes too much, I've checked with users having a similar username (they are from Philippines or Bangladesh, hired to post links for streaming site I guess). I've checked the admin panel and haven't found the option to forbid the live links...

We have been lucky with the too many connections problem, I asked the infra team on the private ML and they restarted the servers within few minutes.
It confirms the most online users statistics BTW (index page), we had 2105 users online. I've made a screenshot, will post it for the next monthly status. I've reset the figures.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Another device I have heard of is making the first few posts (or perhaps posts on the first few days after registration) subject to moderation.
RGB

Post by RGB »

+1 to delete. Today we get more than 300 spams!
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
acknak

Post by acknak »

Yes, these floods are almost too much to handle--it took me almost an hour to clean out all the junk this morning, and they're still coming in.

It's hard to even be sure what's been deleted, there are so many posts & pages to scan through.

We're going to have to cut off registration soon, unless we come up with some way to prevent them.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

We need some definitive action to deal with the amount of spam hitting this forum. It is now as bad as the old forum. I feel sorry for the moderators having to handle all this manually. I logged in to 333 new posts and most were spam. It appears to me that these folks are running scripts once registered to bombard the site with useless posts.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Maybe a limit on the number of posts per time unit - not more than one per ten minutes for a new member, but that probably is another option that isn't available in phpbb.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
coruscant

Post by coruscant »

Just install Anti-Spam ACP by EXreaction - I've used it before and it pretty much kills spam dead.
http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/anti_spam_acp/
OpenOffice 3.3.0
Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The problem is that we need someone to install the mod...
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

As a first counter measure, I've set the flood limit to 120 seconds. This is the time an user has to wait before creating a new message.
I've disabled this limit for volunteers.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I noticed that some of the spam messages had an incredibly high post count - how is that possible?
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The flood limit was set to 10 seconds so any user could make a new post (or new topic) every 10 seconds. As long as there is no moderator online, there is nothing to prevent this.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Sorry, I meant view count.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hmm, hadn't noticed that. And I've removed quite all of them. I checked the remaining ones in Quarantine and Deleted topics and their view count is rather low (less than 10).
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Edit: That was a stirling job! 
There was one spam message with over 900 views - I talked with RPG, who also noticed it. We had one spam message in the Dutch forum today, the first in months or better.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

floris v wrote:
In the admin panel, we can remove all the posts from an user at once. So it's not that long. But the problem is to make sure there is no false positive when there is only 1 post (I've found one 2 days ago).
 Edit: The 120 s flood limit seems to work: I just removed messages from a spammer, they have been posted every 2 min. But not dissuasive enough (I hoped they would abandon instead of waiting). At least it will slow down the spam a little. 
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I suggest raising the flood limit to several minutes, say 5 or 10 minutes, at least for a trial period. Perhaps a message could be prominently posted that this policy has been instituted as an anti-spam measure and the moderators regret the inconvenience.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

I just logged in and there were 149 new posts almost all spam. The flood limit does not seem to be working. I suspect they are using a script that has an adjustable time delay. I think its time to put a hold on new registrations.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Hagar Delest wrote:
floris v wrote:
In the admin panel, we can remove all the posts from an user at once. So it's not that long. But the problem is to make sure there is no false positive when there is only 1 post (I've found one 2 days ago).
There were also a lot of spammers with only a few posts.
I just logged in and there were 149 new posts almost all spam. The flood limit does not seem to be working.
I don't see the spam as spam but as a variant of a DOS attack. No serious advertiser would want to do this much harm to the place where he advertises.
Nederlandstalig forum
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

The second post on this thread on the phpbb forums offers a solution which seems not to require a special mod. I am against stopping new registrations.

EDIT: On looking elsewhere on that forum, it seems that provision for moderating posts for new members is part of the software. See, for example, this thread.