[Solved] Keyboard shortcuts for forms

Creating and using forms
geoffrose

[Solved] Keyboard shortcuts for forms

Post by geoffrose »

I have a form that browses and edits a table very effectively, no problems. I need keyboard shortcuts for "Next Record," "Previous Record," "New Record" and "Delete Record." I cannot find those operations in Tools > Customize > Keyboard. I've scoured the documentation here and elsewhere, no luck. Can someone here help, please?
[Solved]: The key-customization commands are in Tools > Customize > Keyboard > (.) Base: Form Design > Category > Controls.
Last edited by geoffrose on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Keyboard shortcuts for forms

Post by Villeroy »

In a form for a single record I use Tab which visits to the next record after the last field or Shift+TAB which visits the previous record before the first field.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
geoffrose

Re: Keyboard shortcuts for forms

Post by geoffrose »

Villeroy, thank you. Unfortunately that requires manually tabbing all the way through the form, and does not address "New Record" or "Delete Record." I was hoping for a more direct solution. I guess my next step is to try keystroke macros. I'll amend this thread if I'm successful. Meantime, others, the question remains open.
geoffrose

Re: [Solved] Keyboard shortcuts for forms

Post by geoffrose »

The solution is appended to the text of the original post, now flagged "[Solved]."
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Thank you for solving this. I was not aware of shortcuts for Base forms.
For those who prefer stand-alone forms: Command category "Controls" is availlable for Writer and Calc too.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
ardeley

Post by ardeley »

Not sure that this solution goes all the way. Specifically, in Category "Controls" I have tried to add Ctrl+Alt+Right for "Next Record", and Ctrl+Alt+Left for "Previous Record" (these are supposed to be the shortcut-keys for Form Navigation). But I'm not getting the desired result.
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows Vista
sleeve98

Post by sleeve98 »

Yes, yes, yes, external Writer forms are all well and good - unless you're running into this bug:

https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/sho ... ?id=114596
"Bug 114596 - External forms for a database doesn't save data - closing form with dataloss"

Saw a thread that suggested this was an invalid format/data entry issue, but not this time. :crazy:

Also recall that years ago I saw a way to rig a desktop shortcut to an internal Base form (without "exposing the Base GUI"), whether by extension or macro, by hook or by crook, I don't remember, and can't find it again now.
LibreOffice 6.0.5.2 on Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS
Ratslinger

Post by Ratslinger »

sleeve98,

There is another reported bug regarding standalone forms in LO - #112458:
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/sho ... ?id=112458

which mentions the standalone works in LO if the database is split. I have found this to be correct in my minimal testing.

Also regarding the minimized GUI, this may be what you are referring to:
https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question ... n-startup/
LibreOffice 7.0.2.2
OpenOffice 4.0.1
Ubuntu Mate 20.04.1
Mint 20.3